+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Please help me in Technical; Hello guys, After using this forum occasionally I figured that this was the best place to ask this question seen ...
    Thank Post

Please help me

Hello guys,

After using this forum occasionally I figured that this was the best place to ask this question seen as almost all of you work in a school environment.

Well, I am currently starting my 2nd year in college this September and have received my timetable. I am only in college Monday, Wednesday and Friday leaving me with two days off during the week. I am studying a level 3 BTEC in IT & Business which covers VB, Web Dev, PC systems and support, Excel, Databases, Graphic Design, Networking and a few more. Not only do i have knowledge learnt from college but i also have lots of experience with building and troubleshooting PCs and software. I have also worked with the technicians at my high school for work experience.

I would like to use these days off and put them to good use by gaining experience in the IT sector. After finding out that employers prefer people with experience i would like to get a head start early and would like to apply for an IT job at one of my local primary schools. My old IT teacher recommended me doing this as he said that they all need a helping hand with their network.

My question is how do i go about doing this?

What are the procedures?

I know it will be difficult with it being a school and i know that they don't let any Tom Dick and Harry work there.

Thank Post
    When I did the same thing to gain some experience I went to the school I studied at went straight to reception asked to speak to the network manager and asked if he wanted some free help a couple of days a week, he spoke to the IT manager the both seemed really chuffed at the prospect of free labour and got me to fill out a CRB form there and then to get started, easy peasy and without doing that I dont think id ever of got the job at the school I have now. Just go for it

3. Thanks to Chris_in_notts from:

RyRobbo (4th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Have you tried looking at IT apprenticeships in your area? After you get your diploma im sure you would be snapped up mate.

Thank Post
    Excellent! Thanks Chris I will do that as soon as possible. Would a CV help or anything else?

And there is not many apprenticeships in my area, its more about asking around in my town.

Thank Post
    Whereabouts in Lancs are you? We are at Hutton near Preston and may be able to do something with you if you are near enough. ring me on 01772 613112 and ask for Nick on ext 136.

Thank Post
    I live in Skelmersdale which is a good 10 mins away by car and unfortunately I can't drive yet, im currently taking lessons though. Thanks for your interest Nick.

Thank Post
    We are taking an ex student as an IT apprentice from school for 2 days per week. I think its going to benefit the both of us - giving us an extra pair of hands and giving him the experience and also the possibility of getting the foot in the door if we advertise a position next year. We all have to start somewhere and I think this is great for him - he's been in a couple of days during the holidays and has been a great help and he's happy as i've bought his dinner!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information