+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, LNM 2005 + Server 2003 SP3 + Boot from LAN in Technical; Help needed from anyone who continued using Learning Network Manager 2005 with Server 2003 SP3, please. I've had a look ...
    Thank Post

LNM 2005 + Server 2003 SP3 + Boot from LAN

Help needed from anyone who continued using Learning Network Manager 2005 with Server 2003 SP3, please.

I've had a look at other threads, and can see that LNM 2005 isn't designed to work with SP3 and that WDS has replaced RIS. But can also see some folk look like they have this sort of setup working - they just haven't posted how unless I've missed it.

I used to boot from LAN on a client (PXE?), login as admin and work through screen prompts to either create or restore a ghost image, without needing ghost console (as in the LNM installation guide). LNM 2005 worked with ghost32.exe and it all went very well and I could image a cluster of clients without crashing the network.

Now having installed SP3 there are problems. We've installed PXE server (I say we, but I largely mean my very helpful technical backup from the local secondary school), and WDS, and we can now boot from LAN. But the screen prompts from there are different and we are having problems linking the WDS bit (I think) with the LNM bit and getting the location of the images right. My technical backup doesn't know LNM. So we may just have to abandon it and work out another way to do images. But if anyone out there has got any useful pointers (and can make sense of what i've put here so far!) I would be very grateful.

Thank Post
    OK, I have been looking into this further myself. Firstly, I should have put SP2 for the server. We installed SP3 on the clients and I'd had a long day. Secondly, we are XP clients (no Vista) so we are using WDS in Legacy mode, which looks like it is the equivalent of RIS. Thirdly, our images were ghosted through the procedure that is installed with LNM - a series of Client Installation Wizard screens. Through this, we could send and take images using ghost client, without seeming to refer to ghost server.

Basically, it looks like installing SP2 on the server has broken the links to the Client Installation Wizard screen that I was using. The previous CIW screen order was Welcome, Tools, Logon, then a screen titled Main Menu. I have found the first three as .osc files in the old RemoteInstall folder. Not sure where the Main Menu screen is coming from though. Or how to restore the CIW screens so that they work again, or that's even possible???
    Last edited by Andie; 15th June 2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Additional information added

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread