+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Remote control of student PCs in Technical; Our Lanschool is setup so that each teacher can only control/monitor their own class. The only people who have full ...
    Thank Post

Re: Remote control of student PCs

Our Lanschool is setup so that each teacher can only control/monitor their own class. The only people who have full access to every lanschool client is us techfolk. This way the teachers cant screw anything up

Thank Post

I knew I had a bad feeling that ABTutor gave users too much power. Just found what appears to be a major security hole with it. If a teachers fires up an application on a PC and no-one is logged onto it (ie a PC sitting at the logon screen) then then next time someone logs on that applications pops up and is RUNNING WITH SYSTEM LEVEL PRIVELEDGES 8O
    Launched word and with a pupil account and was able to delete every file in program files and access every area on drive C!
    I think I might send the dev team and Email to let them know cause that's pretty scary stuff....

Thank Post

we've got lanschool at my place.
    one of my fav features has to be the multiple remote control,
    found it really useful for situations like the ks3 test, ie get into the room 5mins before the lesson, log all the machines in one go, start the testing software on all the pc's.

also really good if you need to install a piece of software on all the pc's in one room.

ive heard the next verison which is in beta, has white/black list for websites, also has application blocking,

as for security, if you look through the support tools there is a peice of monitioring software which will pick up all lanschool traffic across the network so you can find out if there is anyone running the teacher module

Thank Post

Dont know whether to laugh or cry! Just tried out Netsupport School and it's got exactly the same remote execute as system security flaw as ABTutor. At least it by default doesn't execute remote applications if noone is logged in though.

metalmonkey

I personally wouldn't call it a flaw. There really is no other way. Unless you manually set the service to run as a specific user on each client.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis
    I knew I had a bad feeling that ABTutor gave users too much power. Just found what appears to be a major security hole with it. If a teachers fires up an application on a PC and no-one is logged onto it (ie a PC sitting at the logon screen) then then next time someone logs on that applications pops up and is RUNNING WITH SYSTEM LEVEL PRIVELEDGES 8O
    Launched word and with a pupil account and was able to delete every file in program files and access every area on drive C!
    I think I might send the dev team and Email to let them know cause that's pretty scary stuff....
    Have just tried this with Lanschool , and its not happening for Lanschool, at least if I am reading what you did correctly anyway. The teacher then broadcasting ms word, then when finished, a student logs onto the machine. Word hasnt opened, the kid has no differences than their normal login

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey
    I personally wouldn't call it a flaw
    You honestly wouldn't call the ability for any pupil/teacher to remotely run any executable/program with full system level user level privileges a security flaw 8O I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one cause I see it as being a show stopper for any application we consider running on the network.
    I've just tried Lanschool and they're the only one of the 3 products that has the sense to disable to option when nobody's logged onto a PC so they're looking like the best option so far. I've sent an email to ABTutor so I'll see if I get a reply back. It's a shame because I actually like ABTutor better than Lanview (plus it's cheaper) but I can’t risk giving it to staff if it lets them run programs as system and the ability to permanently block IP ports on workstations.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Have just tried this with Lanschool , and its not happening for Lanschool, at least if I am reading what you did correctly anyway. The teacher then broadcasting ms word, then when finished, a student logs onto the machine. Word hasnt opened, the kid has no differences than their normal login
    ABtutor and Netsupport School let you run code on a remote PC when it's sitting at the logon prompt waiting for someone to log (Lanschool doesn't let you do this as the option is greyed out if no users are logged onto a workstation). The problem is that this lets you run word/iexplore/etc (and it runs as the logged on user which is system because it's at the logon prompt). You cant actually see the application at this point but the next user that logs on sees it on their desktop and is running it as system with full access to the computer. It's just as though you had logged on as a pupil and used the run as... command to launch that app as system.
    I've just got a respnse back from ABTutor who have been able to reproduce the problem and are going to look into it. I'll let you know when I get an update.

metalmonkey

I appologise, I mis-understood your comment as being the product running as the system user rather than launching and executing under the same access rights. To that extent, you are right. In this instance, they should have an option or registry hack to disable the rmeote execution if no one is logged on.

No need to agree to disagree. I agree.

I actually like ABTutor better than Lanview (plus it's cheaper)
    Funny, I thought LanView was free.

LanView3 also has this 'flaw' by the by. But in it's defence, Lanview is not designed as a teacher tool - it's for Admin's only.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Great find FlyingHaggis - can't wait to see your reply - we're on the verge of buying ABTutor Control

Thank Post

Sorry, When I said Lanview I meant Lanschool! No need to apologise. Sounds like we're both arguing the same point. Like you say it's not really a flaw with regards to admin's running the software but we're looking for something we can give staff to let them monitor a classroom full of pupils and i don't want to give them anything where they could accidentally or intentionally cause issues with the PCs.
    I think the key features a monitoring tool needs to have is the ability to view multiple screens at once and the ability to lock workstations when pupils should be listening to the teacher. We've tried using VNCon but have found it to be pretty unstable and if I recall it's not being developed anymore.
    I've found the interface for Netsupport school a bit confusing so it's looking like either Lanschool or ABTutor are the contenders at the moment. At the moment I prefer ABTutor so hopefully the coders will be able to fix the remote executable security hole. In theory like you say it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just a case of not allowing the code to be launched if it detects that nobody's logged onto the workstation

Thank Post

I seem to be posting on this board every 15 mins today!

Just been checking back after the reply from the tech support at ABTutor. I didn't realise before but in ABTutor that you can password protect the client Groups/Rooms of computers and specify exactly what options a teacher will have when using it in a specific room to the nth degree.
    Basically this means that I can disable the remote file execute parts and policy/port blocking options so staff cant tinker with these bits which is exactly what I was after.

Suffice to say I'm pretty much 100% sold on ABTutor now 8)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Cheers Haggis <goes off to read the manuals> :P

Thank Post

i have just looked at screen shots of ABTutor and bloody Viglen sell it as there own software called Remote Classroom.

were is that punch bag

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Looks a bit like Net Support Manager to me with some tweaks, any bets that ABTutor just buy NSM and re-badge it like RM do (was it RM that we worked out did that)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast