+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Joining Techinician in Technical; We have employed a technician which will join us around 27th. I was thinking of preparing a guide/information sheet that ...

Thank Post

Joining Techinician

We have employed a technician which will join us around 27th. I was thinking of preparing a guide/information sheet that will explain the procedures we have in place and how things work in school, also how should he approach tasks in a productive manner i.e multitasking etc.
    Does anyone have an idea or a simillar guide? Please let me know

Thank Post
    I started about 6 years ago as an apprentice - my NM did nothing like that for me. The way I picked up so much was one on one time with him, looking over his shoulder while he did stuff etc etc.

I have upmost respect for him and owe him so much for what he has taught me. I can't imagine a guide/handout having the same level of impact.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here go

New Staff Pack

They are very useful not sub to following n/w man but an added bonus.

Russ

Thank Post
    "If in doubt, ASK!"

It will be a period of learning for both of you.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes."

Despite how much you may moan at him/her in the comming months.

"If you make a mistake, tell someone about it."

Better a slapped wrist for making the mistake, than the sack for giving everyone full control over
    sensative data! And if the crepe is going to hit the fan, best you know about it sooner rather than
    later!

"Climb the knowledge ladder one step at a time."

Which brings us back to the first statement really.

Thank Post
    I had one of these when I joined up last year, The only useful information in it was passwords and ip addresses of servers, where to find spares. Things that you will stumble on, even when you know what the problem is (I.E you know the pins are bent in the mouse, but can't find the stash of spare mice).

All the RDP, imaging, user support. etc. Where learnt through one of three ways
    - looking over the NM's shoulder (about 2 weeks, until I grew out of that)
    - Googling it (Will never grow out of that)
    - Blind Luck (well we all need a touch)

Thank Post
    As has already been mentioned, one on one time is the best way to get "the new guy" into the action and doing it right.

As for Passwords and IP ranges etc, what we've done here is put that data in excel files on our ITCommon drive (a drive only for the IT staff). So it's in there with a bunch of documentation (essentially a pretty average knowledgebase collated over the years), and a bunch of regular use software setups etc. When the new guy comes along the first thing you teach them is that if they need something, most stuff is on ITCommon!

The one thing that benefited me when i first came into my job was the Network Manager letting me loose on projects first up. He let me go my hardest on a brand new server, setting it up with Exchange. I had absolutely no clue what i was doing, but his kind words were "if you *ck it up, we can just blow it away and do it right"! That attitude sounds funny, or even harsh, but working things out for yourself has been the best way for me to learn things, and also simply learn to be self sufficient.

Hope the new guy is settling in alright!

Thank Post
    Our new tech is settling in nicely here - he shadowed us for the first 2 weeks to get used to the kids/staff, now he's fairly independent. As far as problems and resolving goes, he's not bad at the theory. Practicality wise, I will watch as he does things, and offer hints/help if needed.

He spent 10 minutes renaming a load of our online curriculum files from .html to .htm, then I showed him how to do it in a few seconds with command line. I've also lent him some of my books on command line etc, and am putting some VMs of older Windows together to show him where "we're" from as it were (he's 17).

Such things as discrete soundcards etc tend to throw him..he's of the generation where it's all been XP/built in/self configuring..but I expected that.

I've had a few informal chats with him out of the office, as well as the usual "in office" banter - one of which revealed that for 3 weeks he'd had a bad back due to a naff chair, but he hadn't "wanted to whinge on" so had said nothing. I had to ding him round the ear for that and explain that quite frankly, if you don't ask you don't get, and he should NEVER be afraid to ask me anything, as I will fight his corner.

We've had him virtualising our helpdesk, he's been giving the OLC a major kicking, he's been allocated a suite to maintain and he's doing a sterling job there, and he's adapted to dealing with "Teachervision" really well.

He's also got the hang of my sense of humour, which not many people do..

I HAVE said "forget everything you learn here, it's irrelevant.". The new building will be an entirely new ballgame. New servers/workstations/systems/OS/procedures/Rules etc. We'll all be starting from scratch there, so he's at no disadvantage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I started about 6 years ago as an apprentice - my NM did nothing like that for me. The way I picked up so much was one on one time with him, looking over his shoulder while he did stuff etc etc.

I have upmost respect for him and owe him so much for what he has taught me. I can't imagine a guide/handout having the same level of impact.
    +1 i started about 3 year ago from an apprenticeship, Moved to a school since then learnt alot from looking over peoples shoulders and fiddling with old un needed equipment and things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread