+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, SCT and LNM in Technical; I have been having a look at SCT (Shared Computer Toolkit) and talked with a number of people too ... ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

SCT and LNM

I have been having a look at SCT (Shared Computer Toolkit) and talked with a number of people too ... and it seemed to be aimed more at locking down individual machines (kiosks, machines in workgroups) and doing stuff to make XP Home usable securely. The general opinion seemed to be only use it if you do not have a really good AD based domain.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...s/default.mspx

I know M25Man uses it in conjuction with LNM, but have others tried playing with it yet?

Thank Post

Re: SCT and LNM

Had a quick look and a bit dissapointed to be honest.

It would be of more use to us if we could extract the features of Screen monitoring, Student control, screen show and file transfer for teachers within a class (Teacher control centre) without having to build a new server and every workstation in the school.

We have a working network and the tech support required to run it, it would be nice to have a version that gave us the additional tools.

As we are planning to remove Ranger this would have been ideal to plug some gaps such as those I mentioned above.

Aaahhh well - back to the drawing board

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has joined it to an exsiting *TEST* domain to see what it can add.

Thank Post

The SCT is meant to be used in a stand alone kiosk environment or workgroup as it performs only local policy management "gpedit.msc"

The disk utility however can be used in a domain environment and there are GP extensions for it.
    Unlike other Disk Locking utilities SCT allows the locked disk to be updated with AV and windows updates something that other systems like "Reborn" cannot do.
    Deep Freeze might be a brilliant product but when there is a native or free utility that does the same you should test them all before parting with loads of the tax payers cash!
    Native tools and Free utilities you can't beat them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information