+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Where Can I Get It in Technical; Originally Posted by Dos_Box I was being a dumbass. I was told it was a DVD, not a CD, so ...
    Thank Post

Re: Where Can I Get It

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I was being a dumbass. I was told it was a DVD, not a CD, so had Nero set for DVD. And it didn't like it.
    You can make it into a DVD that includes the Win2k3 sp1 and WinXP sp2 cd files. Saves all the disk swapping, but obviously needs severs with dvd-rom drives.

Another mirror here
    Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 2nd June 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post

Has anybody installed it yet and had a play? I was speaking to an MS guy at BETT on Wed and he said it was a great tool. But he didn't think it did the share/control screens thing which it talked about in the pdf. Anybody shed any light on that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

how about someone how to install and setup for us if somone is feel very adventuries how about a screencast for the site..

russ

Thank Post

Tried to install on an allready built/configured 2k3 box, didnt have much joy though, will try again when i have more time.

Thank Post

I will try tommorow I have 2 workstations and a server under VMware on my PC from my ris trials.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pooley
    Tried to install on an allready built/configured 2k3 box, didnt have much joy though, will try again when i have more time.
    Ahem.

Microsoft have allowed us to have a copy of this holy of holies, but please understand that it is in no way actively supported, or recognised by them as a supported product as it is designed for re-sellers only. Any support will be via either this forum or EduGeek. Please take note of the following.

IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR NETWORK OR SERVERS IN ANY WAY IT IS ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT. NEITHER WE, NOR MICROSOFT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSABILITY FOR THE PRODUCT.

Now that is over with.

You will need.

1. A spare server which will be wiped completely.
    2. A Windows XP SP2 disc
    3. A Windows Server 2003 SP1 disc
    4. A Valid licence number for the above
    From http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...&p=14203#14203

Thank Post

Yeah but I thought id try it anyways

richard

I'm in the process of setting up some virtual machines so should be int position to do some playing soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

For those not wanting to pay for WinISO/Nero/UltraISO/whatever:
    or just use a cheapo P133 linux TS client as a workstation 8O

convert to a valid ISO9660 like this:

Code:
    dd if=./MSLNM.iso of=./MSLNM-9660.iso bs=1024 skip=300
    this also converts nero nrg files to iso
    and burn with cdrecord/K3b/etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hi welcome cybernerd great tip how about adding it somewhere on edugeek wiki at www.russdev.com/wiki

cheers

russ

Thank Post

Hi Guy's

I will make a few copies available tomorrow SATURDAY at our stand E74 ask for Geoff, I will be doing the breifing for LNM.

LNM was developed for Microsoft by ITWORX to assist in the deployment of 2003 Networks for the Saudi Ministry of Education (and others).

It will automatically build a 2003 AD Network specifically tailored to Schools requirements instead of the proverbial Consoto Coffee Co model we all know so well, from bare metal to working system in under an hour.

Now most of you will already know how to do this but, can you deploy the server, configure RIS and Terminal Server (Application Mode), develop a set of working policies and role out your first workstation in under an hour.

I don't think so!

This is a set of very clever sif files, PE routines, VB and pearl scripts that transform the usual bog standard 2k3Server into a usable school system very quickly.

Most Geeks will be happy to extract, dis-assemble, reverse engineer and suck all the good routines out of LNM and pass them off as their own to impress their bosses, however there will be many less experienced school network admins who will find great comfort in having LNM give them a jump start in setting up a very slick native Win 2k3 system without handing over loads of cash to the likes of RM, Viglen, CSE and others.

LNM is the Zenworks of Windows, if it had been around five years ago most school admins would have been a lot more familiar with AD by now!

Don't knock this application, it's free it's well thought through and the only thing that needs sorting quickly is the password reset process that expects a kid to remember a seven character randomly generated strong password during the long walk back from IT to the class room!

It has been well received by most school techies, as a training tool to excercise deployment techniques and the end result is good enough for most schools to get started with the native OS and kick away that crutch (RM and others) that they have become dependent on because they lacked the confidence to go native.

As a VAR we are using the kit ourselves (slightly modified) to deploy systems for our clients and the time saved up front is then used to deploy back end services such as sharepoint.

If you can't get there Saturday and are still desperate to see what LNM has to offer I will post a download link here next week once we have had a chance to move into our new premises, the old place was flattened by the Buncefield fiasco and we have been working out of peoples living rooms for nearly a month.

Geoff

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m25man
    Hi Guy's

I will make a few copies available tomorrow SATURDAY at our stand E74 ask for Geoff, I will be doing the breifing for LNM.
    thnaks geoff

This is a set of very clever sif files, PE routines, VB and pearl scripts that transform the usual bog standard 2k3Server into a usable school system very quickly.

Most Geeks will be happy to extract, dis-assemble, reverse engineer and suck all the good routines out of LNM and pass them off as their own to impress their bosses, however there will be many less experienced school network admins who will find great comfort in having LNM give them a jump start in setting up a very slick native Win 2k3 system without handing over loads of cash to the likes of RM, Viglen, CSE and others.
    no we wont think most geeks are honest and say they used lnm

Don't knock this application, it's free it's well thought through and the only thing that needs sorting quickly is the password reset process that expects a kid to remember a seven character randomly generated strong password during the long walk back from IT to the class room!
    we are not i think most of us will found it to be a good idea

Russ

Thank Post

Has anybody installed it yet and had a play? I was speaking to an MS guy at BETT on Wed and he said it was a great tool. But he didn't think it did the share/control screens thing which it talked about in the pdf. Anybody shed any light on that?
    M$ expect you to use RDP and the request support services.

If you want more look at NetSupport Manager or something like that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts

Will this support R2 when it's available and the new functionality such as allowed file types which could be integrated into the quote setting area?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information