+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Configuring Offline Files in Technical; I see 4 folders: Bluetooth, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos which are all empty...
    Thank Post
    I see 4 folders: Bluetooth, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos which are all empty

Thank Post
    have you forced the first sync ive found it often requires either a silly length of time or a kick to get the first sync done

Thank Post
    Yes I forced it following the error message I received regarding the Bluetooth conflict

Thank Post
    If all you needed was to provide access to the files, I would've set up owncloud and pointed it at the ADC and the file server, avoids mucking about with joining all laptops to the domain etc.
    Last edited by bald_pig; 10th July 2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: wrong cloud service

Thank Post
    Hello

If I wasn't already so far down the line with this I might have explored different options but it doesn't seem that far away from working.

I logged into my own PC at work this morning offline and again the network drive appeared and in there was the My Documents folder and in there were all my other folders but greyed out with an X on. When trying to access them I get 'This file is currently not available for use on this computer'.

I want to know how comes my PC at least shows me the folders but the test laptop doesn't and then why the folders aren't available on the PC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    If I were you, and it is a pain, I know, I would take out every single GP entry that relates to this and start again. I presume you have looked in every single policy for anything that might even be vaguely related to offline files sync? I think maybe that there is a conflict somewhere in your system.
    Did you follow this:
    Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files

Seems quite detailed
    Good luck

Thank Post
    Hello

I'll have to search all the GP entries and start again.

On my PC I did right click 'My Documents' and selected 'Make Available Offline', it scanned through and I tested my PC offline and sure enough My Documents were available and the My Documents folder had a sync icon on it.

I just need this to happen automatically regardless if I logon to a PC or laptop.

Thank Post
    Where we are now with this:

I went through the group policy object that referenced Offline Files and set all of the options to Not Configured.

This caused error messages when logging into the test laptop off the domain so I enabled 'Allow or Disallow Use of the Offline Files Feature' and the error messages went away.

Now when logging in to the laptop I get the offline drive and in there is a My Documents folder and in there are all of my sub-folders from the domain but no files within these are accessible. The individual files are greyed out with x's on them.

Any suggestions at this point?

Thank Post
    right click on the drive and make avaliable offline ive found it dosent always do the first sync till you force it

Thank Post
    Iím interested in all of this as well. Currently all of our staff laptops have local documents. Iím considering redirecting them and making the files available off line.
    I have been testing this with windows 8.1 but the first sync doesnít appear to be starting. It shouldnít take too long because I created a new test user and just dropped a few text files in their my documents.
    I went to sync center and started the sync and got an error messages stating it was unable to sync. I also clicked view off line files and it showed at 45% Iíd also like to know if this is a sync percent or drive space.
    The only documents available was a text file on the desktop, but not the text files I dropped in my documents
    Also after forcing the machine offline the desktop had the sync icon and the documents had the grey X

However if the first sync takes a bit maybe Iíll give it another go and let it sit overnight.

@Bankesy
    Here are a few group policy tips, instead of going through all of your settings manually.
    If you donít have it installed already install group policy management console. You can click on a policy and get report of all of its settings.

From a command prompt on the client type
    Code:
    Gpresult.exe /h report.html
    This will write out all of the settings applied to that use and machine along with what policy applied it.
    You can also get the same information from the GPMC with the group policy modeling and results wizards.
    I hope this helps you find the conflicting settings.

Cheers,
    Last edited by ADMaster; 18th July 2014 at 04:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Hello

I happen to think I have found my clashing policies, in addition to the policy disabling offline files on the Staff Laptop OU I also found a policy applied to the Staff Logins OU disabling Offline Files so I assume all the time I was playing with the machines policy the other policy for the users was preventing it working?

Now my question is having set all offline files references in both policies to 'Not Configured' do I want to set it up again on the Staff Laptops OU or the Staff Logins OU?

Thank Post
    Staff Laptops
    You don't want offliine files if they are logged on to a fixed machine somewhere

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Staff Laptops
    You don't want offliine files if they are logged on to a fixed machine somewhere
    if you disable it on a policy user setting are irrelivent it wont work

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    if you disable it on a policy user setting are irrelivent it wont work
    Yes, of course. But if you haven't set it on the computers it won't work either

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, of course. But if you haven't set it on the computers it won't work either
    i think on win7+ not configured = on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information