+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Learning Network Manager Thread, CAT5e hardware install tool kit needed! in Technical; Hello. I am embarking on making my own network cabling and installing my own network points in the school where ...
  1. #1
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    497
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    CAT5e hardware install tool kit needed!

    Hello.

    I am embarking on making my own network cabling and installing my own network points in the school where I work. Could someone please give me a nice comprehensive list of the tools and items (including suppliers) that I will need so I can get to work. I already have CAT 5e cabling but that's it! What else do I need and where is the best place to get it from in the UK?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    A CAT5e punch down tool would be a good start, as well as some CAT5e faceplates with keystone.

    You can buy basic testers from anywhere. You may also wish to make your own patch leads but, look in the right places and they're cheap enough readily machine made.

  3. #3
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    497
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    A CAT5e punch down tool would be a good start, as well as some CAT5e faceplates with keystone.

    You can buy basic testers from anywhere. You may also wish to make your own patch leads but, look in the right places and they're cheap enough readily machine made.
    Cheers. I would probably buy patch leads as you suggest. What would I need to make cabling for the long journey from faceplate to patchbay?

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,688
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 869 Times in 747 Posts
    Rep Power
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Cheers. I would probably buy patch leads as you suggest. What would I need to make cabling for the long journey from faceplate to patchbay?
    in what sense you just run the cables to both ends then use the punchdown tool to lock it into place (leaving enough spare so you can do it a few more times incase the socket gets damaged etc) fo running through ceilings etc i ususally use a thin bit of trunking lid and tape so tape the cable to the trunking lid and push/throw it along much easier to find than just cable

  5. Thanks to sted from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

  6. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    My tools:

    Punchdown tool
    Cable stripper
    Side cutters
    Network tester
    Screwdriver (for screwing the wall plates on to the boxes)

  7. Thanks to localzuk from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

  8. #6
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    497
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    in what sense you just run the cables to both ends then use the punchdown tool to lock it into place (leaving enough spare so you can do it a few more times incase the socket gets damaged etc) fo running through ceilings etc i ususally use a thin bit of trunking lid and tape so tape the cable to the trunking lid and push/throw it along much easier to find than just cable
    Der! Sorry I understand now (LOL!) Cheers for that info. The trunking lid tip is a great idea!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My tools:

    Punchdown tool
    Cable stripper
    Side cutters
    Network tester
    Screwdriver (for screwing the wall plates on to the boxes)
    Fantastic cheers! I can get shopping now :-)

  9. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Cheers. I would probably buy patch leads as you suggest. What would I need to make cabling for the long journey from faceplate to patchbay?
    If you're doing a big re-wire, having two drums is easier as you can pull cables through a ceiling space in pairs instead of singles. Once you reach your network cab, give yourself plenty of slack so you can comfortably punch in the patch panel. You can then cable tidy the bunch of cables to the inside of the cabinet once you're finished to improve neatness and airflow.

  10. Thanks to Michael from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

  11. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    102
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    cat5 crimp tool (if your doing patch cables too), punch down tool (test patch cables), tester (We have a Fluke IntelliTone Pro Toner and probe, not cheap and not the best but helps loads trying to trace the right cable also doubles as cable tester) and either something like metal tape (fish tape) or fibreglass rods (depending how much cable fishing you have todo). Then you have your boxes / face plates / trunking and various other tools decent enough drill and bits, screwdriver, sharpie, gloves and glasses etc.

    I'm trying to convince my boss to get fiber installation stuff but there's a pretty steep entry price for test equipment.

  12. #9
    Griff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    519
    Thank Post
    204
    Thanked 95 Times in 77 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Punchdown tool x2
    Crimp/cutter tool x2
    drum of network cable LSZH - x2 and different colours
    Head torch
    cable ties
    cordless screwdriver
    drill
    small saw or hacksaw
    pocket knife
    small hammer for taping trunking covers back on safe your poor fists

    I used to use lanshop or was it netshop....but now I use Edmundson Electrical they might have one near you worth a look we have a trade account with them so its pretty good if we get caught short on trunking.

  13. Thanks to Griff from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

  14. #10

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,316
    Thank Post
    681
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Rep Power
    425
    Punchdown tool depends on the manafacturer you use panduit for example click together to acheive the same thing.

    I really like the panduit system you use the same module each end and clip them in to faceplates/patch panels as needed.

    Ben

  15. #11

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd101 View Post
    cat5 crimp tool (if your doing patch cables too), punch down tool (test patch cables), tester (We have a Fluke IntelliTone Pro Toner and probe, not cheap and not the best but helps loads trying to trace the right cable also doubles as cable tester) and either something like metal tape (fish tape) or fibreglass rods (depending how much cable fishing you have todo). Then you have your boxes / face plates / trunking and various other tools decent enough drill and bits, screwdriver, sharpie, gloves and glasses etc.

    I'm trying to convince my boss to get fiber installation stuff but there's a pretty steep entry price for test equipment.
    Fibre kits cost thousands - you really have to justify it, when you could pay someone one off to patch the fibre at each end. This may change in the distant future, but I think copper in most networks will still be the norm for sometime!

  16. #12
    E_G_R2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    329
    Thank Post
    75
    Thanked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Fluke tester so that you know you're getting the correct data transfer rates etc..

  17. Thanks to E_G_R2 from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

  18. #13
    marsdenprimary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    497
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    All perfect info thanks. With the face plates do you need a back box if it's going into trunking?

  19. #14

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,941
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by E_G_R2 View Post
    Fluke tester so that you know you're getting the correct data transfer rates etc..
    Bear in mind that you'll be splashing out about £500 minimum for one of these - it might not be worth it for few cables.

  20. #15

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    778
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 155 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    138
    In addition to what the other posters have said, a ladder is a good idea, while the most important item is the junior techie to carry the cable reels and thread cables through false ceilings and ducts.

  21. Thanks to unixman_again from:

    marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tool Kit to fit around waist
    By robknowles in forum Hardware
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12th December 2007, 01:56 PM
  2. Vista Hardware Assessment Tool
    By Netman in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th March 2007, 07:33 PM
  3. Network Installation Tool Kits
    By Snuffkins in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th February 2007, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th March 2006, 09:48 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •