+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, CAT5e hardware install tool kit needed! in Technical; Hello. I am embarking on making my own network cabling and installing my own network points in the school where ...
    Thank Post

CAT5e hardware install tool kit needed!

Hello.

I am embarking on making my own network cabling and installing my own network points in the school where I work. Could someone please give me a nice comprehensive list of the tools and items (including suppliers) that I will need so I can get to work. I already have CAT 5e cabling but that's it! What else do I need and where is the best place to get it from in the UK?

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    A CAT5e punch down tool would be a good start, as well as some CAT5e faceplates with keystone.

You can buy basic testers from anywhere. You may also wish to make your own patch leads but, look in the right places and they're cheap enough readily machine made.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    A CAT5e punch down tool would be a good start, as well as some CAT5e faceplates with keystone.

You can buy basic testers from anywhere. You may also wish to make your own patch leads but, look in the right places and they're cheap enough readily machine made.
    Cheers. I would probably buy patch leads as you suggest. What would I need to make cabling for the long journey from faceplate to patchbay?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Cheers. I would probably buy patch leads as you suggest. What would I need to make cabling for the long journey from faceplate to patchbay?
    in what sense you just run the cables to both ends then use the punchdown tool to lock it into place (leaving enough spare so you can do it a few more times incase the socket gets damaged etc) fo running through ceilings etc i ususally use a thin bit of trunking lid and tape so tape the cable to the trunking lid and push/throw it along much easier to find than just cable

5. Thanks to sted from:

marsdenprimary (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My tools:

Punchdown tool
    Cable stripper
    Side cutters
    Network tester
    Screwdriver (for screwing the wall plates on to the boxes)

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    in what sense you just run the cables to both ends then use the punchdown tool to lock it into place (leaving enough spare so you can do it a few more times incase the socket gets damaged etc) fo running through ceilings etc i ususally use a thin bit of trunking lid and tape so tape the cable to the trunking lid and push/throw it along much easier to find than just cable
    Der! Sorry I understand now (LOL!) Cheers for that info. The trunking lid tip is a great idea!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My tools:

Punchdown tool
    Cable stripper
    Side cutters
    Network tester
    Screwdriver (for screwing the wall plates on to the boxes)
    Fantastic cheers! I can get shopping now :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    If you're doing a big re-wire, having two drums is easier as you can pull cables through a ceiling space in pairs instead of singles. Once you reach your network cab, give yourself plenty of slack so you can comfortably punch in the patch panel. You can then cable tidy the bunch of cables to the inside of the cabinet once you're finished to improve neatness and airflow.

10. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    cat5 crimp tool (if your doing patch cables too), punch down tool (test patch cables), tester (We have a Fluke IntelliTone Pro Toner and probe, not cheap and not the best but helps loads trying to trace the right cable also doubles as cable tester) and either something like metal tape (fish tape) or fibreglass rods (depending how much cable fishing you have todo). Then you have your boxes / face plates / trunking and various other tools decent enough drill and bits, screwdriver, sharpie, gloves and glasses etc.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get fiber installation stuff but there's a pretty steep entry price for test equipment.

Thank Post
    Punchdown tool x2
    Crimp/cutter tool x2
    drum of network cable LSZH - x2 and different colours
    Head torch
    cable ties
    cordless screwdriver
    drill
    small saw or hacksaw
    pocket knife
    small hammer for taping trunking covers back on safe your poor fists

I used to use lanshop or was it netshop....but now I use Edmundson Electrical they might have one near you worth a look we have a trade account with them so its pretty good if we get caught short on trunking.

13. Thanks to Griff from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Punchdown tool depends on the manafacturer you use panduit for example click together to acheive the same thing.

I really like the panduit system you use the same module each end and clip them in to faceplates/patch panels as needed.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd101 View Post
    cat5 crimp tool (if your doing patch cables too), punch down tool (test patch cables), tester (We have a Fluke IntelliTone Pro Toner and probe, not cheap and not the best but helps loads trying to trace the right cable also doubles as cable tester) and either something like metal tape (fish tape) or fibreglass rods (depending how much cable fishing you have todo). Then you have your boxes / face plates / trunking and various other tools decent enough drill and bits, screwdriver, sharpie, gloves and glasses etc.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get fiber installation stuff but there's a pretty steep entry price for test equipment.
    Fibre kits cost thousands - you really have to justify it, when you could pay someone one off to patch the fibre at each end. This may change in the distant future, but I think copper in most networks will still be the norm for sometime!

Thank Post
    Fluke tester so that you know you're getting the correct data transfer rates etc..

17. Thanks to E_G_R2 from:

Thank Post
    All perfect info thanks. With the face plates do you need a back box if it's going into trunking?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_G_R2 View Post
    Fluke tester so that you know you're getting the correct data transfer rates etc..
    Bear in mind that you'll be splashing out about £500 minimum for one of these - it might not be worth it for few cables.

Thank Post
    In addition to what the other posters have said, a ladder is a good idea, while the most important item is the junior techie to carry the cable reels and thread cables through false ceilings and ducts.

21. Thanks to unixman_again from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast