+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Learning Network Manager Thread, New ICT curriculum - No ICT teachers. in Technical; Originally Posted by sted babysiting/crowd control? This exactly. You can tell because its always this weeks edition of click on ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    babysiting/crowd control?
    This exactly. You can tell because its always this weeks edition of click on IPlayer, its not even one tahts being recorded on our media centre and archived as useful . Don't get me started on the fact its 25 mins and the lesson is 45!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    <Governor hat on> @Kineas. You are not a qualified teacher or HLTA. Unless the schol is an academy, free school, or an independent school teachers are required to be qualified.

You could, however, run an after school club for those with interest, but that is a local agreement and is not uncommon. If they are insisting that you do so, then it should be part of your job description ... and changes to that require proper consultation... and union involvment if you are being forced against your will.

With regard to the new Computing (not ICT, that term is going for teaching purposes) national curriculum requirements, a club does not even nearly cover it. This, however, is NOT your problem. It is the problem of the Leadership and Management of the school (I.e. SLT and governors)... and they will have to justify the curriculum to Ofsted. Again, academies, free schools and independents have more freedoms and don't have to comply with the national curriculum.

Run your club if you want to/agree to and enjoy it. With regard to what is being taught by the teachers, leave that to SLT and the ICT co-ordinator. If it isn't happening, then it isn't your problem any more than the failure of the teachers to teach the maths curriculum properly would be your problem. Do not get sucked into any sort of role that suggests you are responsible for the Computing curriculum.... Ofsted will have a field day if they turn up!
    Thanks for that!

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's the fact that I'm at each school maybe 1 day a week, I'll go in with a list as long as my arm of things to do with limited time. It wouldn't be as bad if the kids did something productive under their own initiative i.e. homework, and I'd maybe teach the few who are interested. But to fully plan out "lessons" for the kids to produce a piece of work at the end of the term, I just don't have the time. And yes, they are forcing me to do it. I also have to write the letter to parents asking if their child would like to attend the club because the office staff can't be bothered to do it.

But yeh, as long as the computers are working then it's not my problem. Maybe when the new curriculum kicks in they won't see the need for the club.
    Last edited by Kineas; 28th April 2014 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineas View Post
    Thanks for that!

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's the fact that I'm at each school maybe 1 day a week, I'll go in with a list as long as my arm of things to do with limited time. It wouldn't be as bad if the kids did something productive under their own initiative i.e. homework, and I'd maybe teach the few who are interested. But to fully plan out "lessons" for the kids to produce a piece of work at the end of the term, I just don't have the time. And yes, they are forcing me to do it. I also have to write the letter to parents asking if their child would like to attend the club because the office staff can't be bothered to do it.

But yeh, as long as the computers are working then it's not my problem. Maybe when the new curriculum kicks in they won't see the need for the club.
    If you are not in a union then join one.

When you are in a union then call them!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th April 2014 at 05:48 PM.

Thank Post
    I would be very careful with this. since you are not a qualified teacher, or backed up by a union you're not insured to look after children. if anything happens with a teacher around, their insurance will cover anything but you will not have that support. Personally (although i'd love to do it) id refuse point blank... just after asking them for the £30k pay that teachers get

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineas View Post
    Not sure where to put this but...

I'm the ICT Network Manager for 3 primary schools all within close proximity to each other. They hired me collectively and my time is spent equally between the 3 schools. At the moment, there are no teachers who specialize in ICT in any of the schools. They're all aware of the new curriculum starting in September 2014 and that it involves a lot of computer science.

They're preparing the kids for this by getting myself to run an after school club once a week, which isn't compulsory for the kids to attend, to teach Scratch. Not being a qualified teacher, I don't think I'm fit to be teaching the kids even on subjects I know, and it seems like they come, complete the worksheet, leave without taking any of it in - and that's the kids who attend every week seeing as you get some that turn up every now and again just because their parents are late. It took a lot of persuading senior members of staff that KS1 kids, who are just learning how to log in and type their name into MS Word, may not be ready for Scratch. It feels like they're burying their heads in the sand, and getting the only person on site who knows anything about ICT to teach them whether they're a teacher or not.

I'm worried about what's going to happen in September when computing becomes compulsory and they still haven't hired a teacher to be able to deliver this. Some weeks I'm only at a school for 1 day, I have other things to do rather than teaching. And after September, it won't be a few kids in after school club, it'll be classes of 30.

Anyone else in a similar sort of situation?
    That's funny because I'm in an identical situation. I used to support 6 primary schools as part of being a IT Technician for local secondary school, as the summer was approaching I was offered a position of IT Manager at three of the schools - splitting my time and resources as you are too. However, in my first week the conversation at one of the schools changed from "Let's get PIs in classrooms" to "You can teach a club on the days that you're here". The idea is that it will only be a very small group so perhaps it's not all that bad, and I'm a decent web developer so that's a couple clubs sorted, but I'm still hesitant of the day that I need to start planning. I'm yet to start the club but with the amount of jobs I have building up their idea for week 3 is going to have to be term 3! iPads 90% at one school, preparation for a new IT suite and library at another, and only 2/3 weeks in. Oh lord!

Luckily for me there are two fairly-IT savvy people at one school and an ICT Co-ordinator that works between the other two. Fingers crossed I'll be able to wriggle out of some things but unlikely!

Thank Post
    I am an IT tech in a junior school and have yet to see any of the new computing curriculum being taught and as far as I am aware no one has planned any yet! There seems to be even less structure than last year. How are other schools getting on with this?

Thank Post
    ive been looking at the they need command prompt access part of this this today and last Monday. Ive just done a quick teachers guide to it in smart for them to redo for year 3 as I suspect ive pitched it way too high for year 3. But in a nutshell its explain that pcs have ip addresses, a quick overview of how computers connect to each other the server wifi points etc (so march the kids round school showing them wifi points/network cabinets/the server room) and a crash course in ipconfig/ping/tracert/nslookup nothing too dreadful ive just created a specific user for it just making it not map drives I want everyone but them to get (if they cant access exercises they cant delete anything from it

Thank Post
    Gone are the days off, "we've got the BBC Master series in our class this week kids!"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12