+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Learning Network Manager Thread, New ICT curriculum - No ICT teachers. in Technical; Originally Posted by sted babysiting/crowd control? This exactly. You can tell because its always this weeks edition of click on ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    babysiting/crowd control?
    This exactly. You can tell because its always this weeks edition of click on IPlayer, its not even one tahts being recorded on our media centre and archived as useful . Don't get me started on the fact its 25 mins and the lesson is 45!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    <Governor hat on> @Kineas. You are not a qualified teacher or HLTA. Unless the schol is an academy, free school, or an independent school teachers are required to be qualified.

You could, however, run an after school club for those with interest, but that is a local agreement and is not uncommon. If they are insisting that you do so, then it should be part of your job description ... and changes to that require proper consultation... and union involvment if you are being forced against your will.

With regard to the new Computing (not ICT, that term is going for teaching purposes) national curriculum requirements, a club does not even nearly cover it. This, however, is NOT your problem. It is the problem of the Leadership and Management of the school (I.e. SLT and governors)... and they will have to justify the curriculum to Ofsted. Again, academies, free schools and independents have more freedoms and don't have to comply with the national curriculum.

Run your club if you want to/agree to and enjoy it. With regard to what is being taught by the teachers, leave that to SLT and the ICT co-ordinator. If it isn't happening, then it isn't your problem any more than the failure of the teachers to teach the maths curriculum properly would be your problem. Do not get sucked into any sort of role that suggests you are responsible for the Computing curriculum.... Ofsted will have a field day if they turn up!
    Thanks for that!

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's the fact that I'm at each school maybe 1 day a week, I'll go in with a list as long as my arm of things to do with limited time. It wouldn't be as bad if the kids did something productive under their own initiative i.e. homework, and I'd maybe teach the few who are interested. But to fully plan out "lessons" for the kids to produce a piece of work at the end of the term, I just don't have the time. And yes, they are forcing me to do it. I also have to write the letter to parents asking if their child would like to attend the club because the office staff can't be bothered to do it.

But yeh, as long as the computers are working then it's not my problem. Maybe when the new curriculum kicks in they won't see the need for the club.
    Last edited by Kineas; 28th April 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineas View Post
    Thanks for that!

It's not that I don't want to do it. It's the fact that I'm at each school maybe 1 day a week, I'll go in with a list as long as my arm of things to do with limited time. It wouldn't be as bad if the kids did something productive under their own initiative i.e. homework, and I'd maybe teach the few who are interested. But to fully plan out "lessons" for the kids to produce a piece of work at the end of the term, I just don't have the time. And yes, they are forcing me to do it. I also have to write the letter to parents asking if their child would like to attend the club because the office staff can't be bothered to do it.

But yeh, as long as the computers are working then it's not my problem. Maybe when the new curriculum kicks in they won't see the need for the club.
    If you are not in a union then join one.

When you are in a union then call them!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th April 2014 at 04:48 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12