+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, New Structure/Job in Technical; Our Sixth Form is having a restructure and are merging 3 roles into one - It Manager, Network Admin and ...

Thank Post

New Structure/Job

Our Sixth Form is having a restructure and are merging 3 roles into one - It Manager, Network Admin and Software/Systems Developer (Me-although my post is being split with another developer post) anyway...

Would anyone mind looking at the attached Job Description (I stripped out all the generic parts) for general thoughts about the post?
    New Job Desc Summary.docx

Edit: Thought id better add rough student and staff sizes:
    Students:1700
    Staff:200

Many Thanks,
    D
    Last edited by diagdave; 14th February 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few key points missing, the location and the pay

Thank Post
    This is an internal application - Sorry. Was just after thoughts about the post as we are having lots of discussions about the job size etc.

Any feedback is really helpful
    Last edited by diagdave; 14th February 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh sorry, totally missed that

Thank Post
    No worries. I probably didn't make it clear enough.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only thought that came to my mind was around the software development side of things and the raft of languages required. This head of IT role sounds like a big enough job without adding software development into the mix, and software development can be a 9-5 role on it's own. Unless I'm misreading, it sounds like two posts being shoehorned into one. If it's just manageing the software developer, which makes more sense, why the need to know or learn a raft of languages? As much as programming experience might help, can't see it's required from a pure management PoV.

7. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

diagdave (14th February 2014)

Thank Post
    The post would be managing a software developer. We have a lot of bespoke systems (biggest being our MIS that i wrote) - using all of the languages mentioned. There will possibly be some development work, especially when the developer is away - that means knowing the systems & languages.

Thank Post
    A lot of the "Systems Operations" detail would seem to be things the IT team should be doing. Should this person should be assuring those processes are done to a standard, rather than doing them themselves? (I may be misguessing the scale here!).

9. Leading on the development of applications and systems to further enhance the College systems.

Should probably be in strategic with a focus on being a conduit between users and the development team.

In summary I'd think the operations are maybe too detailed for what looks like a management role. It may be more 'hands on' than I'm assuming, in which case - god help them! :-).

10. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    A lot of the "Systems Operations" detail would seem to be things the IT team should be doing.
    Thanks, tmcd35 & pcstru both very helpful. pcstru could you expand on what you think should be done by the IT Team - this could be very helpful

Edit:
    Added sizes to first post
    Last edited by diagdave; 14th February 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    @diagdave, it's tricky without knowing the exact setup. Here, I manage the IT Team, Repro, the library (ssshhh) and Science and ADT technicians. In the past we've had university placement students, mostly doing bespoke software development. The stuff you have listed in Systems Operations I delegate to people in the IT Team - my job is to make sure they are doing it efficiently, to an acceptable standard, not to do it myself. So 3,6,7,8,11,13, 14 are things the IT Team do. Ideally I know enough of the detail to direct and manage, but good managers should be confident of managing things even when they don't know the detail. So something like "2. Ensuring all IT and electronic learning resources across the College are maintained and fit for purpose.", could reasonably be in management and could perhaps be a little broader too - you want resources maintained, fit for purpose and you want to make sure that those meet the needs of the staff and students (which is a little different from fit for purpose (and you have covered elsewhere so you could consider just dropping 2)).

Again a lot depends on scale. Our IT team is 6 full time people not counting me. If that was smaller, I'd expect to have to be more hands on but at the same time to have less broad responsibilities.

Generally it's quite long and detailed as a job description - especially for what looks like reasonably senior management. It might be helpful to think what KPI's this person would be expected to report on as a measure of effectiveness. That may help you step away from the detail and get more sense at a strategic level.

As always my opinions are worth what you paid for them. :-).

13. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Worth a lot more than that! We currently have 2 x IT support Analysts + 1 x IT Technician/Room Monitor so think some hands on is expected but do see what you mean about the details being too specific in some places. This is a middle management post reporting to SMT. Would it be ok to PM you the pay and see if you think it reflects the post?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diagdave View Post
    Worth a lot more than that! We currently have 2 x IT support Analysts + 1 x IT Technician/Room Monitor so think some hands on is expected but do see what you mean about the details being too specific in some places. This is a middle management post reporting to SMT. Would it be ok to PM you the pay and see if you think it reflects the post?
    Sure. I'm out this afternoon so may be a bit slow responding.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread