+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Learning Network Manager Thread, New School, No IT staff, New manager, any pearls of wisdom? in Technical; Originally Posted by TechMonkey NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Here we have 3 levels: - Essential documentation (IP info, site maps) goes on walls ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Here we have 3 levels:
    - Essential documentation (IP info, site maps) goes on walls for quick reference
    - All documentation goes in a shared area for IT staff and SLT have read access. We are also creating a hard drive copy just incase.
    - Secure documentation (admin password, admin username, emergency contacts) goes in sealed pack, signed and locked in a safe.

Might be cynical but giving them everything either means it gets left around, gets passed to someone else or gets played with to see what it does. Either way, things start to break mysteriously and no one owns up.

Allow me some credit lol, all passwords are in a signed envelope as well as spare rack keys etc. and will be in a safe. but thanks for your concern.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mr advice is don't change a thing for the first 6 months. Learn the system and its benefits and flaws, then produce a plan for the future.

This will take time, especially if you are not even on Windows 7 yet!

3. Thanks to zag from:

bencole (4th December 2013)

Thank Post
    My advice would be go back to your old boss and tell him you made a mistake and want your old job back..

Lots of love,

Your old boss

5. 3 Thanks to Dageezah:

bencole (4th December 2013), Danp (6th December 2013), TheMrB (23rd January 2014)

Thank Post
    HaHa See you on Friday for football

Thank Post
    I would second the advice not to change anything major (e.g. the Exchange to Office 365 move you mentioned). If email is okay (not perfect, but okay) then leave it alone until you now what out there doesn't work at all. Your first priority is finding out what your second priority is! Also, people get very attached to their email, so even the tiniest change can upset or confuse them (much like the Facebook news feed!) and right now, you need a clear channel of communication to people, so don't mess with that.

If you don't already have one, get a helpdesk set up so that people can easily report issues, you can see them all in one place and prioritise accordingly; linked to that, don't let people stop you in the corridor or phone you to report problems (unless all you do is write it down and add it to the helpdesk).

Get Spiceworks or similar in place, so you can find out what kit you have and what software is installed (noting that Spiceworks also picks up local installs, so is better than just checking Group Policy). Then, get a large pad of paper and walk round every classroom, noting down all the things which Spiceworks didn't/can't see, e.g. projectors, locally-attached printers, scanners, visualisers, etc.

Then, arrange a meeting with each head of department and ask them what their biggest concerns are, what they use (note, this may differ dramatically from what they have installed!) and what they would like to change.

And keep coming back to Edugeek - there are lots of people on here who have been in a similar position and can help you out.

Good luck!

8. Thanks to enjay from:

bencole (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Make sure your backups work if there is any, at least you will then have data if anything does wrong.

10. Thanks to MatthewL from:

bencole (6th December 2013)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    K!ll yourself now.

Only jok!ng!

Thank Post
    If somene asks "how long" for a job to be done always add in some fat (f***ing about time)
    Last edited by witch; 6th December 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Definately go for a site licence, with Microsoft it's based on the number of staff (FTE) and not the number of computers, that way you can always have up-to-date software on your computers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Mr advice is don't change a thing for the first 6 months. Learn the system and its benefits and flaws, then produce a plan for the future.

This will take time, especially if you are not even on Windows 7 yet!
    I would disagree. In the first 6 months I ripped everything out and started again, and its only led to good things for me, people saw what I was about, got excited by the changes and engaged with them. 6 months in and I would have been drowning in a world of sorrow!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bencole View Post
    Hi,

I have just today taken over a schools IT department. Sadly the previous Network manager died during the Summer holidays. The school has had a council technician in simply firefighting issues as there are no other members of ICT staff.

Luckily I have managed to get hold of the Admin Passwords so this is not an issue. I have ran ip sniffing software to get server and switch names and IP's and now have access to everything.

I plan to build a linux box to run a fog server and run NeDi.

Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation?

My main projects are to upgrade to windows 7 and office 2013 and also I must install wireless across the school. In any normal school I would go for a site licence but I am reconing we only have 140 computers including all admin staff etc. The servers also need upgrading as there is one on 2008 and the rest on 2003. Non are virtual and I'm not fussed about load balancing.
    You wouldn't happen to be located in or near Bournemouth would you?

If so, I would be more than willing to offer any help I can to get you out of a hole!
    Last edited by Oaktech; 13th January 2014 at 04:28 PM.

16. Thanks to Oaktech from:

bencole (24th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    I would disagree. In the first 6 months I ripped everything out and started again, and its only led to good things for me, people saw what I was about, got excited by the changes and engaged with them. 6 months in and I would have been drowning in a world of sorrow!!
    I would like to say that I did the same thing, except that I didn't have the opportunity to do so. I did start planning though, and making significant, but minor changes to facilitate the migration.

About 9 months ago, I inherited a network that seemed to have had a small thermo-nulear bomb explode in it's midst. I am now in the final stages of building a brand new network from scratch (everything will be killed, with the exception of the SIMS database, e-Mail databases and user data. the servers that they reside on though, are being rebuilt). I will be switching over during the easter holidays.

That in mind, I would say not to leave things until you know everything, when there is an obvious improvement that can be made to make life that little bit easier, whilst not being a dangerous move. One of the things that I did was to implement quotas on the file server (yes, there were no quotas at all for staff or students...).

Other than that, as has already been said, Documentation! The idea of running around with a notepad, cataloging everything may not seem very appealing or worthwhile, but will save you a lot of hastle later on. I say that as someone that has yet to do so!
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 13th January 2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Grammar. Or lack thereof!

18. Thanks to Sephiroth from:

bencole (24th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12