+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Learning Network Manager Thread, Giving SLT User Administrator Password in Technical; That was because of the globalisation of information that began to take root from the 70s onwards, though most particularly ...

Thank Post
    That was because of the globalisation of information that began to take root from the 70s onwards, though most particularly from the 90s. It caused people to begin to think more deeply about information, how it is used and why, who ought and ought not be able to see it or change it, etc. Without the attempts and standardisation and protection that have arisen since, none of it would have been feasible on that scale.

2. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

Get2theChoppa (11th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Thanks, good to know. I wonder how it would be to work for a Head who'd had a sysadmin background?

Would be interesting considering that with the amount of full-time teaching experience needed to reach Headship, I'd imagine they wouldn't have been doing much sysadmin work since about... the 80s/90s?
    I have been "booted upstairs" and am still 'in the know'. I try to stay out of anythjng technical unless my replacement asks me to do so. I have resist the temptation to use my knowledge... though, when I report an issue, I have usually worked out the solution too I agree that some technically trained leaders may find it harder to restrain themselves though.

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    What was your position? Just occurred to me I've never asked :P

6. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    Just an aside: My account is a member of the Administrators, Domain Admins, Domain Users and Staff groups, but there are still some functions that I can only use under the built in administrator account. I use my account for most admin activities on the server, but the built in account when computer says no. We buy support services from our LA and they have access to and sometimes use the built in account too, for the same reason.

I have tolerated that on the basis that there is a trail of the fact that my access can be tied to my machine and that someone else does need access in case I am not available. Is there a permission that I can give myself, so that I can close this loop hole?

add yourself to enterprise admin also!

Thank Post
    For a balanced view on getting the balancing act between SLT and NM right I strongly recommend What Heads Need to Know about ICT

Thank Post
    Some will be aware that the forum has already had a debate on that particular article here. Suffice it to say I think many would take the view that "balanced" is not exactly what this article is. Contrasting professionals from other backgrounds with "thirteenth-century Vatican lawyers", for example, is humorous but unhelpful when trying to make a point, especially to those professionals in particular.

I went down to Berkhamsted with another member and had a very good chat with the author's Deputy to get some background on this. It was written at a time when the Independent subsector was reporting very strong evidence of the "wall of nos" coming from IT staff, with the result that many SLTs began to lose confidence. One of the problems traditionally is that, when IT staff do get this way, nobody ever seems to want to ask why. We discussed how that kind of situation can arise and how a trusting partnership can be built up, with "managing upwards" as a distinct theme. Ultimately, if I recall, we concluded that the article was an opinion piece written to make a particular point at a particular time (especially relevant where the author's view on the cloud is concerned) and that there has in fact been progress on both sides since then.

Currently some attempts are underway to build up an evidence base of how things are now with a view to writing a follow-up article, addressing some of the issues with the original from both points of view and providing a commentary on how things have been moving forward more recently.

10. Thanks to Ephelyon from:

GrumbleDook (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wow I love the responses from people personally if they asked me for the admin password I would just say NO regardless of their position that at the end of the day your job is a network manager and they have to respect that level of authority and capability as a network managers we have access to the whole network and including financial access something even most heads would have access to except the bursar and by asking you for the password they are just under minding you enough said

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Let me put it another way you wouldn't open your firewall ports for any one so why give them the passwords the passwords for your domain are as just important as those ports on the firewall you let one open and you have nuked your self
    Last edited by kevin_lane; 26th September 2013 at 09:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Sealed envelope in the safe, no SLT users has the admin password... bad idea!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234