+ Post New Thread
Learning Network Manager Thread, Really Slow Network Transfer in Technical; Hi, I don't feel this is normal and would love any second opinions. I am trying to backup some files ...

Thank Post

Question Really Slow Network Transfer

Hi, I don't feel this is normal and would love any second opinions.

I am trying to backup some files from my own computer to our HP Network Storage system.
    We run two networks, an admin and curriculum. My computer has two NICs, one for each network.
    The storage server has 4 nics. Two for each one.
    Everything runs on gigabit and goes through managed switches (which in the future will be vlan'd).

I selected my my documents folder yesterday evening and copied it over to the HP Storage server. To my shock, it is still going this morning and looks to have done maybe 10 percent! The my docs folder in question is 56.6gb in size. Not exactly huge for a gigabit network to handle.

I also put on a copy of all of the school pictures and videos, from our shared images folder. From the same computer to the same storage server, this has also not finished. Despite being on for well over 12 hours. This folder is 97.2gb.

Should it take this long?! I am sure it should be quicker.
    screenshot_zps863ae64c.jpg

Thanks.

Thank Post
    the hp storage server runs windows server? what os is your workstation? Do you get poor throughput if you copy a file from the storage server? Reboot your workstation first. check the task manager and make sure your CPU / RAM are not consumed. (check also the server isn't running a defrag, virus scan, and has available resources)

Try transferring a large single file like a windows7.iso too and from the storage. (to make sure its not fragmentation)

See if you've changed the drivers on your workstations nic, if not disable some of the TCP / ARP accelerations.

Also check local AV isn't fluffing and temp disable it.

?check Ethernet cables?

use a different workstation!

3. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

talksr (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    It might be that you have a dodgy cable somewhere or an iffy nic, however I noticed network transfers here at my place to be slow - but nothing else is.

So what I did was downloaded Supercopier (Official website) and this seems to be a lot faster than the standard file copy in Windows, I think Windows tries to copy the whole folder at once whereas Supercopier does it in incremental files and it's a bit faster.

I think the slowness issue here is the cabling we have in the walls, even though it's CAT6 we have alot of long runs from the main switch to the wall sockets, and we also have quite a busy network at times.

5. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

talksr (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all of your posts.
    The offender was a small 8 port netgear switch which also happens to be 1000mbps but is obviously not as capable of transferring large amounts of data as the HP 48port ones we have.

At the moment, I am not in a position to get direct cables down from the 48port switches in the cab, so I am going to have to replace this bugger of a switch. Can anyone suggest some small (<10 port) switches which will be capable of handling large transfers?

THanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look at the HP 1810-8g (model number J9802A).

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

talksr (3rd June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread