+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, Backup soloution, am i going back to the dark ages. in Technical; Ok so the school im currently at is using symantec system recovery to back up 3 servers, great a digital ...

Thank Post

Backup soloution, am i going back to the dark ages.

Ok so the school im currently at is using symantec system recovery to back up 3 servers, great a digital soloution but there is a part of me that would rather use a tape system for backups, am i just "not with the times". what are everyones thoughts on this? also would running both be overkill?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is Symantec System Recovery a cloud solution? If not, I'd suggest backup up to tape as well as to disk. At least then you've got a separate backup should the disk array go pear shaped and you can keep the backups away from your server and/or site too.

Tapes aren't old fashioned, realistically they're the most practical and economical and fastest way of backing up a large amount of data which can be transported away from your site or put into a fireproof safe.

Thank Post
    I'd say tape is still one of the most effective solutions when it comes to long term archiving and backup of your data. When you combine it with something like Data Protection Manager I think it can work really well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any kind of 'removable' backups that are stored securely and in a separate location?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Is Symantec System Recovery a cloud solution?
    If it is, I would question whether having to depend on if an external company exists or not just to access your backups is really the best option.

ht6

Thank Post
    And remember that fire proof safes are exactly that. Fire proof. Not necessarily 'heat' proof, and we all remember what happens when we put a crisp packet in the oven....

Thank Post
    It's not a cloud based soloution it backs up to two seperate NAS drives in seperate blocks. The reason im questioning this is the spare NAS recently went down so looking for a fail safe should one or both of the key NAS drives go down and the automated backup soloution can't run. Now i have my budget for the year looks like a tape system is about to be my second purchase after the mandatory licensing. Thanks for all your support people.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ht6 View Post
    And remember that fire proof safes are exactly that. Fire proof. Not necessarily 'heat' proof, and we all remember what happens when we put a crisp packet in the oven....
    Anybody using a fireproof safe to store media would have bought when that was rated for what they were storing and this suitable for purpose.

Ben

ht6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Anybody using a fireproof safe to store media would have bought when that was rated for what they were storing and this suitable for purpose.

Ben
    I think it would be wrong to presume that would be the case everywhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've implemented a new BackUp server within the last six months. New server with a ton of disk space; backup to Disk and then duplicate to Tape, in our case using a HP 1/8 LTO-5 Tape Library. I too like having an offline storage solution where the tapes are put into a Fire Proof safe down the other end of the School. (Will be in another building when we get our new Sixth form).

So far, so good. Taken a while to get my head around BackUp Exec 2012 as it's vastly different from earlier versions. Restoring from Disk takes seconds now and should only need to rummage to Tapes for really old stuff.

Pete

Thank Post
    I think it would be wrong to presume that would be the case everywhere.
    I think the thing here is to ensure that the safe is not located in the same building as your backup device(s).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    I've implemented a new BackUp server within the last six months. New server with a ton of disk space; backup to Disk and then duplicate to Tape, in our case using a HP 1/8 LTO-5 Tape Library. I too like having an offline storage solution where the tapes are put into a Fire Proof safe down the other end of the School. (Will be in another building when we get our new Sixth form).

So far, so good. Taken a while to get my head around BackUp Exec 2012 as it's vastly different from earlier versions. Restoring from Disk takes seconds now and should only need to rummage to Tapes for really old stuff.

Pete
    Do you use VSC for user data restores? Our backups now are considered to be for emergency use only.

Thank Post
    Most data safes are rated to an amount of time. Ours is rated to two hours before the heat would destroy our tapes inside. If a fire was burning for that long I thing you'd have other significant issues as well as data loss though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, we use something else called RestoreSure; it monitors their home drives and replicates any changes to another Server we have here. It's something that was in place when I got here, part of our CSE installation and we've just kept it as it works well.

Pete

Thank Post
    Just to give the OP an idea, we recently spent just under 6K on our backup solution. That was a Dell server with an 18TB disk array and also a single LTO5 tape backup system. The extra disk capacity was really to work in conjunction with DPM as it's quite space hungry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast