+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Learning Network Manager Thread, iPad in school in Technical; My school just purchased the very first 60 iPads for wide school usage. It's the first time we adopt this ...

Thank Post

iPad in school

My school just purchased the very first 60 iPads for wide school usage.
    It's the first time we adopt this idea. I really need suggestions on the following topics:
    And each set will be separated to different sections in the school.

1. How to manage the apple ID?
    2. How to manage the application installation?

P.S. The number of IT guys we have are quite limited.

Your suggestions are very needed.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had a similar problem then I stumbled upon Ross and his team at Education Mac, Apple Education Consultant one visit from Ross gave me happy Mac users and a Mini Mac Server set up and working happily with AD. it didn't cost an arm and a leg either but certainly saved the school many of my hours trying to achieve what came naturally to Ross. We now have a very reassuring and not hugely expensive contract with EduMac to keep the Macs sweet. Highly recommended.

3. 4 Thanks to speckytecky:

Edwardjr (4th October 2012), MrWu (16th September 2012), Rozzer (16th September 2012), tech_guy (15th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi - I hope it wasn't you that decided to go ahead with the ipads before planning, I think it's a bit daft, but we're here to help, so...

Just so you know, i'm not an expert, I'm against implementing these in our school, but here's my input:

Firstly, i'd try and get on a Mobility or Education type course from Apple, I went on one (only one day) and found it very helpful for figuring out how to manage them.
    If you can't get on a course, you need to get an Apple laptop with OSX Lion on it, as there's a configuration app on there for iPads (in bulk), which allows for (for example) kiosk mode, which stops any configuration by the user etc. You really need to tie these down before you allow them into general population!
    As for Apple IDs and apps, you can create a bunch of ids in the school name, then gift the apps to those ids.

Hope that helps in some way!

5. Thanks to NetmanDH from:

MrWu (16th September 2012)

Thank Post
    We are starting the path with some that we were told to buy.

#1 job.

We created a wifi SSID to a new vlan, that vlan can do 2 things.

1) It can access the web via the proxy
    2) it can access our VDI desktop environment.

That's our network safe from them.

Now we are trying to get Meraki to work with our new secure system...

Rob

7. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    We are starting the path with some that we were told to buy.

#1 job.

We created a wifi SSID to a new vlan, that vlan can do 2 things.

1) It can access the web via the proxy
    2) it can access our VDI desktop environment.

That's our network safe from them.

Now we are trying to get Meraki to work with our new secure system...

Rob

Did anyone go through the VDI licencing scheme with you for ipads?

The M$ licencing is still terrible for them as you cannot use any licences from your normal EES pool. They are VDA licences as you aren't 'upgrading' the OS on the iPAD. Totally bonkers! We had the idea of using VDI for BYOD but it works out that we would have to buy a VDA for every device which would be used, and they cannot be transferred between devices for 3 months!!

9. Thanks to Jamo from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the idea...i have a mac mini and I will see how I can implement this idea...

Quote Originally Posted by NetmanDH View Post
    Hi - I hope it wasn't you that decided to go ahead with the ipads before planning, I think it's a bit daft, but we're here to help, so...

Just so you know, i'm not an expert, I'm against implementing these in our school, but here's my input:

Firstly, i'd try and get on a Mobility or Education type course from Apple, I went on one (only one day) and found it very helpful for figuring out how to manage them.
    If you can't get on a course, you need to get an Apple laptop with OSX Lion on it, as there's a configuration app on there for iPads (in bulk), which allows for (for example) kiosk mode, which stops any configuration by the user etc. You really need to tie these down before you allow them into general population!
    As for Apple IDs and apps, you can create a bunch of ids in the school name, then gift the apps to those ids.

Hope that helps in some way!

Thank Post
    We deployed 18 iPads on Friday for use as betting terminals in VIP boxes.
    Secured with Kensington iPad locks and steel cables.
    By 9:00am on Saturday 3 had been stolen.
    All the remainder had been removed from service by 11:00 as there was no way to ensure their safety.

Configuring them was the easy bit, hanging onto them for more than 2 hours was our concern!

The only people who had access to them were external catering staff!
    Then we had two members of security tied up for 4 hours screening the 90 CCTV cameras working out who stole them.

One was recovered hidden in a staff toilet, two in the bottom of a dustbin.

The people who decide to deploy these things without thinking the whole thing out properly amaze me.
    60 iPads!
    How long are these going to last and at what cost to the taxpayer?
    If your a private school maybe a bit longer.

I really have grave concerns over the use of these things in school with theft being the biggest.

12. 4 Thanks to m25man:

lionsl2005 (16th October 2012), MrWu (16th September 2012), plexer (13th November 2012), Roberto (11th October 2012)

Thank Post
    When deploying these iPads at the very least set the 'Find my iPad' app properly and then lock it down with the built in iPad restrictions so kids etc cant turn it off or change location services etc. it won't thwart the clever tech theives but it does allow you to locate or wipe the iPad remotely.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    In my opinion, the future is Android, especially in schools. There is a new tool called “Learnpad” which Toshiba especially are pushing heavily. It is App Management Software and really gives those in charge control over what the students are doing. Takes about an hour to setup and then only needs tweaking every now and then. Extraordinarily simple, and the devices are really good – such as Galaxy Tab and the AT300. Compared to the iPads, apart from being a bit less sexy looking, they are just as good, if not better.

LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

Thank Post
    I've just been told that our school is looking into buying 10 iPad 2 units using money that's been donated. Despite loving all things Apple, I do have many reserves about this.

Firstly, iPad 2 may be cheaper, but I'm unsure about when Apple will drop support for it. Since the new Mini shares the same specs as the 2, perhaps that ensures at least a year or two's updates, but what after that? The thought of a ~£300 device losing support after 2 years, and being subject to easy & fast jailbreaks is pretty daunting.

I'm also not sure how the students will actually do any work on them, or if they'll just be tools that teach via apps, which will be a resource signed out for use on request. In all honestly, perhaps that's a better solution given posts above.

I certainly think that using Airplay to link it to a projector and displaying an app sounds very interesting, though. It's just a case of finding the best way to do it, and having Airplay locked down / password protected, so some kid can't hijack the projector with an inappropriate video.

Anyway, I'm attending a seminar tomorrow where (hopefully) they'll go into this a little.

Thank Post
    ugh, Ipads - schools /me shakes head.

Apple is *almost* there but not quite - A few little additions and everything would be rosy e.g. set up an Appleid via profile manager, purchase apps on server via app store and send to a device listed in profile manager with silent install on users end (so can list apps that are installed on users Ipads (currently this is blind and unmanageable) and better AD integration - this would be ideal instead of all these bodges that everyone's having to do (and borderline illegal in some cases).
    Our ipad distribution has just turned into one huge mess and I'm not happy!

Thank Post
    Hi

there are a number of schools up and down the country who already have large deployments of iPad/iPods to students. Essa Academy Bolton and Oakwood High School Rotherham being 2 in the North that I know of.

I also know of a Bank that has just purchased over 8000 for deployment to their staff.

What is key is that you know what you want them to do or not to do and plan around that. It is possible to deploy them in a range of ways from light touch to completely locked down.

I must say that I am saddened that this thread appears to be generally against using newer technologies in schools?

JayEmm

Thank Post
    Not against, just against from a purely IT management point of view - They are a consumer product after all, I'd just like better app management instead of relying on gift cards and multiple Apple Ids, like I said it's been half done - the tools are almost there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemm View Post
    Hi

I must say that I am saddened that this thread appears to be generally against using newer technologies in schools?

JayEmm
    I think that's quite a tough way to frame this. Another way would be to say that this thread appears to demonstrate the desire for proven technology.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with rolling out new technology. I do it fairly routinely. I am, however, worried about iPads in schools - despite owning one. Why?

1) Deployment and management isn't yet ready for prime-time.
    2) Virtually user unserviceable.
    3) High cost (in comparison to other technology) over expected support lifespan.
    4) Prevalence and popularity of Jailbreaks. Okay, none for iOS 6 yet, but there will be, and that could lead to several compromised devices in a very short space of time. Especially once out of software support.
    5) Education isn't Apple's main target group, and so devices are fragile. Pretty, but fragile.
    6) Apple has a history of holding back new features from old devices in OS upgrades.
    7) Integration with current network technology is lacking.

That's it off the top of my head, and some of those may have answers (and I'd be glad to hear them!) but I don't think any of that can be put down to a reluctance to using new technologies; it's down to a reluctance to spend money on premature, expensive technologies lacking durable hardware.

Now, iPad's have huge potential in Education, they're just not quite there yet. I also think the new Mini is much more suitable for mass deployment. It will be less prone to screen breakages due to its size, lighter and easier to handle, so less awkward and less likely to be dropped, and quicker to charge because of the smaller battery. It's cheaper, too. But we'll probably end up with iPad 2s, because "bigger is better."

Edit: On that last note, I was reminded of seeing and Apple Education promo video, which showed teachers holding it very awkwardly. They should really be linked to a projector instead of being used like this, imo.

Screen Shot 2012-11-23 at 09.03.04.png Screen Shot 2012-11-23 at 09.03.22.png
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 23rd November 2012 at 09:09 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast