+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Bush House Studio Equipment For Sale in Fun Stuff; BBC World Service Phase 1 - Peaker Pattinson (Auctioneers) Ltd [PP2]...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Bush House Studio Equipment For Sale

Thank Post
    Two thoughts. Why does everything have a starting price of 10? How much of it will end up on ebay at a later date? Quite a lot I suspect. Several of the lots are for BNIB unused equipment, for example job lots of Sony TCM-939 cassette recorders. Single ones go on ebay for 5-30, so I suspect these will appear. Why are these brand new and unused? That's our licence fee that purchased those.

There are some great bargains. One place I worked at sold Technics SL-1210 MK2 turntables for about 600. I bought mine on staff discount for 1/2 price. I see they are going for less that 100. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. I going to keep my eye on a few items and drop some bids in close to the ending. There is some stuff useful for schools in there, such as projectors, CD duplicators and PA systems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Two thoughts. Why does everything have a starting price of 10? How much of it will end up on ebay at a later date? Quite a lot I suspect. Several of the lots are for BNIB unused equipment, for example job lots of Sony TCM-939 cassette recorders. Single ones go on ebay for 5-30, so I suspect these will appear. Why are these brand new and unused? That's our licence fee that purchased those.

There are some great bargains. One place I worked at sold Technics SL-1210 MK2 turntables for about 600. I bought mine on staff discount for 1/2 price. I see they are going for less that 100. Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. I going to keep my eye on a few items and drop some bids in close to the ending. There is some stuff useful for schools in there, such as projectors, CD duplicators and PA systems.
    Because they know it will sell. The auction's aim is to basically clear the shelves and get what they can regardless. I'm surprised to see the older audio equipment such as reel to reel tapes etc. are being bidded on hard. There is also quite a bit of impressive IT desking to be had
    Well found Matt!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 16th July 2012 at 10:44 AM.

hit
    Thank Post
    Having worked there for 6 months on a placement as a technician (many many years ago) I had to have a bid on one of the studio clocks with "on air" lights. A bit of nostalgia which would look amazing on my office wall!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    That's our licence fee that purchased those.
    Historically the BBC World Service was funded by tax payers money via the Foreign Office rather than the license fee.
    I think they changed that recently.

Lots of interesting stuff there.

Thank Post
    That's our licence fee that purchased those
    As cybernerd says - No - it was your taxes

(And like you've not got a bunch of stuff thats never been used at your school???? )

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ohhh those are some cracking desks and chairs! And plenty of Tascam stuff too!

Some dodgy terms though "bids are legally binding even if the description of the item is 100% bovine poo"
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 15th July 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Because they know it will sell. The auction's aim is to basically clear the shelves and get what they can regardless. I'm surprised to see the older audio equipment such as reel to reel tapes etc. are begin bidded on hard. There is also quite a bit of impressive IT desking to be had
    Well found Matt!
    The Reel to Reel tape equipment is always sought after - even if it just goes on show for a retro feel in someones home. I'm currently bidding on a few items myself but not that bothered if I don't get them. I have far too much equipment already.....
    I knew about this because of the contacts I have at the BBC in regards to the world service etc + all the work I've done in the past in various stints at stations.

My 1210 MK2 Turntable......feel really bad for letting it get in this condition - I must clean it !!

2012-07-15 14.23.10 (1).jpg

Thank Post
    Just in case anyone buys a 1210 Mk anything and has a problem with it, not only do I have all the repair schematics, but I have a parts account and I have been on the technics repair course...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Just in case anyone buys a 1210 Mk anything and has a problem with it, not only do I have all the repair schematics, but I have a parts account and I have been on the technics repair course...
    Can you tell me the best place to get a new needle for mine ? After seing the state of mine over the weekend it's made me clean it up !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    The Reel to Reel tape equipment is always sought after - even if it just goes on show for a retro feel in someones home. I'm currently bidding on a few items myself but not that bothered if I don't get them. I have far too much equipment already.....
    I knew about this because of the contacts I have at the BBC in regards to the world service etc + all the work I've done in the past in various stints at stations.

My 1210 MK2 Turntable......feel really bad for letting it get in this condition - I must clean it !!

2012-07-15 14.23.10 (1).jpg
    That does look like a pretty nice turntable. I think I also have that Sony MD player myself. It's now in the attic somewhere though
    There was a technology that was never used to it's fullest!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Can you tell me the best place to get a new needle for mine ? After seing the state of mine over the weekend it's made me clean it up !!
    What needle/headshell are you currently running?

I would recomend a stanton 500 mk3, or 505 mk3 (as the 500 is gradually being discontinued) if you are still running the original technics headshell assembly, if you would like to dispense with the original headshell, and the need to align the cartridge, I would suggest an Ortofon Concorde Pro S or DJ S I personally like the concordes as you can get a very high output with only 10g of arm weight. DO NOT under any circumstances buy any Numark cartridge, or a stanton trackmaster, as these require up to 20g of arm weight and are prone to wrecking delicate vinyl.

I buy all of mine from my former employer CPS group on 01202 572000, but they can sometimes be more expensive than online shops, If the price you get from CPS puts you off, I have good service from doth decks.co.uk or djsuperstore.co.uk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread