+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, How clean is your local eatery? in Fun Stuff; 5/5 for our school canteen Good job too as I eat there every day....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    5/5 for our school canteen Good job too as I eat there every day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    However, where an establishment needs improvement, they will be reinspected within a fairly short time frame, I think. So it's always worth checking to make sure it has actually improved
    in theory but doesn't always happen. I did work at Various Music Festivals/Live events on Food Trailers which where inspected every week near enough (different councils etc etc). Passed every one - still wouldn't eat the food!

Also just becuase its hygienic doesn't mean the foods any good quality!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Having worked in catering A: its very easy to fool a Health inspector to give you 5* rating. and B: its actually very easy to be very good and get 1*. Essentially you have critiea to meet and if you fail the one for 1* (say at the time not having level 3/4 staff available). Then you can't go no further. I had it at a place where the boss had gone to get some change when the health inspector arrived and because he wasn't on site at the time we got 1*

So don't trust everything you read!
    Also just becuase its hygienic doesn't mean the foods any good quality!!
    Amen to that. But how then are you supposed to judge whether or not to risk eating there? Veranda is apparently very popular, but it got a 1. That concerns me a LOT because we HAD wanted to try the place - everyone we speak to raves about it but with a rating of 1, I'd have to question if it's worth the risk. The horrible chinese got a 5 but we don't eat there because the food isn't nice, but I'd rather try a place with a 5 and hate the food and not eat there on the grounds that I hate the food than because I contracted salmonella or dysentary because the food was fabulous but the place was crawling with vermin! They say the reports are available with an FoI request, but those things are a pain in the rear and the LA COULD charge you an 'admin fee'. It would be far more use for the reports to be published on the site to explain WHY a place got a 1*. If I read a report for a place with 1* that reported satisfactory handling, prep and storage, good kitchen hygiene but poor staffing levels I'd be more inclined to eat there as the problem isn't 'hygiene related' so to speak.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    @AMLightfoot

You have a legal right to ask to view the kitchen - they are allowed to say not now (i.e if really busy service) but have to let you. Also remember those stars don't just represent food hygiene levels etc but also safety - it could just be a case of not having the right type of fire extinguisher!

Thank Post
    @AMLightfoot

You have a legal right to ask to view the kitchen - they are allowed to say not now (i.e if really busy service) but have to let you. Also remember those stars don't just represent food hygiene levels etc but also safety - it could just be a case of not having the right type of fire extinguisher!
    That is true, but how awkward would you feel getting all dressed up for your birthday dinner, booking a table at a restaurant then arriving and saying 'Oh, before we sit down I want to inspect your kitchen. If I don't like what I see we're leaving'. Yeah, thats a receipe for Spit-curry if ever I've heard of one. lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123