+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Alicia Silverstone feeds her 10-month-old son...in an 'interesting' manner... in Fun Stuff; Er.....ok...... I think staring in 'Batman & Robin' must have sent her over the edge....
    gmj

Thank Post

Alicia Silverstone feeds her 10-month-old son...in an 'interesting' manner...

Er.....ok......

I think staring in 'Batman & Robin' must have sent her over the edge.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 895 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This webpage adds a little more detail to the story [but not much]

Link: home video: breakfast with baby bear - The Kind Life

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see a problem with this? Before baby foods were around, ie jars of mush, how did humans feed their children? They didn't have blenders etc...

Thank Post
    No, it's disgusting. I imagine it wasn't beyond the capabilities of our recent ancestors to squash up some food without using a blender and I certainly don't remember my granny honking up any of her trifle for all of us grandkids to guzzle. She's just being a d*ck (insert the letter 'u' or 'i' accordingly).

gmj

Thank Post
    Fair dues....I just find it rather odd.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    No, it's disgusting. I imagine it wasn't beyond the capabilities of our recent ancestors to squash up some food without using a blender and I certainly don't remember my granny honking up any of her trifle for all of us grandkids to guzzle. She's just being a d*ck (insert the letter 'u' or 'i' accordingly).
    Why is it disgusting? Seriously, what harm is being done, if any? It is food being chewed up.

Try looking past your personal 'yuck' reaction to an actual logical reaction instead.

Thank Post
    But we do live in a world with blenders, if someone went to the toilet on the high street you might look at it differently

Video is just plain weird

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark80 View Post
    But we do live in a world with blenders, if someone went to the toilet on the high street you might look at it differently

Video is just plain weird
    Yet another knee-jerk reaction without any logical reasoning presented... What is being done wrong? Seriously. Is this harming her child? Is this harming herself? Yes or no.

Thank Post
    A little weird by modern Western culture but pretty much the norm as far as the human race and animals throughout history goes.

Thank Post
    I'd say that was a bit harsh. Especially knowing some of the things kids stick in their mouths!

You could argue that it is building the nippers immune system up, building a bond between them & is just a bit odd but no harm. I think it is more an issue that it goes against some peoples ideas of normal/hygienic and so must be stopped. Probably healthier than constantly using anti-bacterial soaps for everything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yet another knee-jerk reaction without any logical reasoning presented... What is being done wrong? Seriously. Is this harming her child? Is this harming herself? Yes or no.
    Knee jerk, Yes, so? Was i wrong? No, Shall i waste time pondering this? Yes only to answer your question. Your logical reasoning was based on blenders not existing x years ago therefore upchucking into your kids mouth is fine, i use the toilet anaolgy and its illogical? how so? Toilets are available now, but werent x years ago.

As for is she harming her child? Yes or No, who knows?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 895 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    A little weird by modern Western culture but pretty much the norm as far as the human race and animals throughout history goes.
    That probably sums it up quite nicely. Somewhat unusual in the modern context. Some parenting techniques have come to light which I would say even more unusual. An example of this is breastfeeding until the age of eight or nine. Compared to that this looks quite normal. If Bear can feed himself at a time when other children are doing the same then perhaps this is not so bad?

Thank Post
    See nothing wrong with that, good bit of improving the nippers immune system and a lovely bit of bonding.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark80 View Post
    Knee jerk, Yes, so? Was i wrong? No, Shall i waste time pondering this? Yes only to answer your question. Your logical reasoning was based on blenders not existing x years ago therefore upchucking into your kids mouth is fine, i use the toilet anaolgy and its illogical? how so? Toilets are available now, but werent x years ago.

As for is she harming her child? Yes or No, who knows?
    So you find knee jerk reactions acceptable. They have another name - 'prejudice'. Society generally sees prejudice as a bad thing.

And to answer your question - She is not 'upchucking'. She is chewing food and feeding it to her child. There's a vast difference between someone peeing in the street and this. Peeing in the street is unhygenic, as it can pass diseases and germs to other people easily. It is also smelly and messy. A mother chewing food is none of those things!

Your last line sums it up though for me - it shows you're only thinking 'yuck' and nothing further.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,718 Posts
    This is done still in many cultures across the world as well as in the animal world. It is a little odd to do it in Western culture and I can't help thinking that she is possibly doing it for effect, but there is nothing instrinsically "bad" about it.
    After all, breastfeeding is actually feeding a child liquid your body has produced - I hope the OP doesnt find that offensive as well....
    (breastfeeding children until they are 5 or whatever is NOT done anwhere in the world - not least because in most societies the mother has another baby to feed by the time the child is about 2)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast