+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Alicia Silverstone feeds her 10-month-old son...in an 'interesting' manner... in Fun Stuff; @ Witch I never said that I find it offensive, just 'odd'....which as you say it is in our Western ...
    gmj

Thank Post
    @ Witch

I never said that I find it offensive, just 'odd'....which as you say it is in our Western culture. I certainly don't find breastfeeding offensive thank you.

Thank Post
    I am judging on what i have seen, not prejuding on what i havent seen. There will always be some predjudice as you cannot know all bits of information regarding a particualy subject yet you still form an opinion. I just find the whole thing odd.

I find the video weird even after thinking about it (or am i still predjice for not having the same opinion as you?)

Extrapolating this to a nursing home environment where you cannot feed yourself/chew solid food would you still find it ok to have your carer chew your food for you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    sorry @gmj I meant timzim

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark80 View Post
    I am judging on what i have seen, not prejuding on what i havent seen. There will always be some predjudice as you cannot know all bits of information regarding a particualy subject yet you still form an opinion. I just find the whole thing odd.

I find the video weird even after thinking about it (or am i still predjice for not having the same opinion as you?)

Extrapolating this to a nursing home environment where you cannot feed yourself/chew solid food would you still find it ok to have your carer chew your food for you?
    A carer is not my mother, and I am not a very young child building up an immune system. So, a different set of medical facts come into play with an adult.

And yes, I consider your opinion prejudiced as you are not basing it on anything other than a knee-jerk yuck factor.

Thank Post
    Well consider me educated @localzuk, although i stand by my reaction to it being odd. Even though i have considered your argument whilst replying it just doesnt "sit right" with me. We could go round in circles here so stop.... i need to get off the roundabout

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    sorry @gmj I meant timzim
    No, I don't find breastfeeding offensive either - both my kids were breastfed. This is nothing like breastfeeding. And yes, I was expressing my knee-jerk yuk reaction, which is what I imagine many people would do on viewing the same thing. Am I prejudiced because I don't like what I saw? Would I also be prejudiced if someone pooed in my living room and I didn't like that too? After all, that's also a natural function and it's probably perfectly normal to do in public in various parts of the world.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    No, I don't find breastfeeding offensive either - both my kids were breastfed. This is nothing like breastfeeding. And yes, I was expressing my knee-jerk yuk reaction, which is what I imagine many people would do on viewing the same thing. Am I prejudiced because I don't like what I saw? Would I also be prejudiced if someone pooed in my living room and I didn't like that too? After all, that's also a natural function and it's probably perfectly normal to do in public in various parts of the world.
    Did you miss my comment earlier pointing out that a mother chewing food for their new child is not the same as random people expelling waste in random places. Its an entirely different matter!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Suppose its just not really deemed "socially acceptable"....wheres the rule that says men cant wear dresses?

gmj

Thank Post
    I look good in a dress......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Did you miss my comment earlier pointing out that a mother chewing food for their new child is not the same as random people expelling waste in random places. Its an entirely different matter!!
    Sure, but to some people it is just as disgusting. As @Little-Miss rightly says, it's to do with social acceptability, and if some people are offended by it then it could be considered socially unacceptable. By the same token, if everybody did it I'd probably not even blink.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must be one of those weird people who doesn't just go by what society judges as acceptable - I make my own mind up based on the individual facts available at the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I must be one of those weird people who doesn't just go by what society judges as acceptable - I make my own mind up based on the individual facts available at the time.
    You're so lucky. How I wish I could think for myself and not just follow everyone else...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    You're so lucky. How I wish I could think for myself and not just follow everyone else...
    Hmm... I suspect sarcasm in play here. You know, you should really hold up a sarcasm sign

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really can't see what all the fuss is about!

So she gives her child some food straight from her mouth..... Each to their own, I guess!

This is really no different to chewing your baby's food, and then passing it over on a spoon....something which a lot of parents have done, me included! It bears NO comparison to someone dropping a log in your kitchen, or making yellow snow....which, by the way, you should NEVER eat!!!

It comes to something when the world gets such fascination over what one, mildly famous, woman does with her child!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of this being done before, but it does rather make sense. As has been said multiple times, there's going to be a "yuck factor" involved, but probably less so for some types of people. For instance, I suspect a majority of non-parents might feel uneasy around someone that is breastfeeding, and those that do have children are far more comfortable. For this, I suspect that many parents who bring their children up in a "sterile" manner (i.e. everything is spotlessly clean and sterile, any hint of infection is cleaned away) would also treat this manner of feeding in a fairly hostile way. There's arguments for and against the sterile environment, the big one each way is building up an immune system, or "we're evolving to be better, as a result we live longer".
    We tend to enjoy a halfway approach here, not being too clean, not going nuts if they eat a bit of mud etc. Each to their own though, and I'm certainly not going to tell anyone they're raising their own kids wrong.

</mr sensible parent>

What's more, at least it's Alicia Silverstone. There's far worse people to be spat on by.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12