+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, The Future of desktop computing? in Fun Stuff; Mainly detached to be honest. On the train it's much more convenient to use as a tablet than as an ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mainly detached to be honest. On the train it's much more convenient to use as a tablet than as an ultrabook, and at home I generally use it for media consumption rather than anything else.

For data transfer I've just got a couple of MicroSDs and a USB SD reader which I carry around. Anything which I might want in tablet form (films, music, documents etc) stays on the SD card in the tablet, while other things like presentations go into the docking station. If I need to transfer anything I just take out the card, slot it into the reader, and plug it into USB. I've had to do that once, to transfer some documents from my desktop at work while the internet was down. For anything else it's either cloud (use a MiFi so I can always get internet access while mobile) or bluetooth.

I don't think it'd be a push to say that it's completely transformed how I work.

Thank Post
    If AMD can squeeze a E350 (or simlar) processor into a Windows 8 Tablet then I don't see myself needing a full notebook/work PC/any other tablet ever again (well besides swap outs).
    But note one thing its still a x86 processor so I can run anything I ever want - not just cut down versions of applications that are designed for the mobile world (although the idea of Metro style apps in Windows 8 is looking nice).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    If AMD can squeeze a E350 (or similar) processor into a Windows 8 tablet then I don't see myself needing a full notebook/work PC/any other tablet ever again (well besides swap outs).
    The best of both worlds.

Also coming in 2012 is an important new member of the family: "Hondo," an ultra-low power Brazos-derived part that will be aimed at Windows 8 tablets. Extending the Brazos platform into ULP territory, with TDPs half that of current parts, may prove difficult, but Dr. Su expressed confidence that we will see Win8 tablets with AMD silicon. More importantly, this attempt will be the first of many from AMD to contend in this space. In fact, Su explicitly described an aspiration to take x86 processors into power envelopes below 2W, which she said is "absolutely" feasible, although such a product isn't on the near-term roadmap for 2012 or 2013. (Source)
    Intel should also have a couple of processors suitable for Windows 8 slates - the sub-17 watt Core i5-3427U and Core i7-3667U.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Mainly detached to be honest. On the train it's much more convenient to use as a tablet than as an ultrabook, and at home I generally use it for media consumption rather than anything else.

For data transfer I've just got a couple of MicroSDs and a USB SD reader which I carry around. Anything which I might want in tablet form (films, music, documents etc) stays on the SD card in the tablet, while other things like presentations go into the docking station. If I need to transfer anything I just take out the card, slot it into the reader, and plug it into USB. I've had to do that once, to transfer some documents from my desktop at work while the internet was down. For anything else it's either cloud (use a MiFi so I can always get internet access while mobile) or bluetooth.

I don't think it'd be a push to say that it's completely transformed how I work.

Cool thanks for that

Thank Post
    iPADS in the CLassroom

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12