+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, The Hobbit in Fun Stuff; Cue the hobbit. Been waiting for this for such a long time! Now for one of the dumbest things ever... ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Hobbit

Cue the hobbit.

Been waiting for this for such a long time!

Now for one of the dumbest things ever...

dumb.png

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, can't wait. The dwarves look plain wrong though (note dwarves, not gnomes) however I've been finding it amusing that one of the dwarves is from Red Dwarf

Always lots of British talent in the LOTR films.

Thank Post
    Is that the YT link for the trailer (can't see it from here - YT blocked ) - but if it is then I seen it on BBC a couple of days ago and looks brill - shame about the year long wait - really need to get the book again (lost my copy to The Parent's )

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    There's a very striking picture of JRR Tolkien in our TA drill hall. Being that he was once a Lancashire Fusilier, as were a good number of historically significant people.
    The film looks awesome. Hopefully as good as the book, though if LOTR is anything to go by, it'll be spot on.

DT

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    The Hobbit films are very impressive from a technically perspective too. Shooting 5k @ 48fps in 3D must take a massive amount of storage space.

I also like how Peter Jackson has given all of his cameras names.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Off to see this in HDR 3D tonight

Thank Post
    Saw this Thursday.

I thoroughly enjoyed it; Mme LeMarchand (long time JRRT fan) loved it.

Our local cinema only had the choice of 3D and a last-minute (after we had booked tickets) 2D smattering of shows. Would have preferred the 2D as I have yet to see a 3D film that has convinced me it's worth the extra cash, and fast-moving, close cut fights just don't work at all in 3D. 48fps would have interested me (even in 3D), but not enough to travel too far!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Off on Sunday, to watch it in fancy-pants 48fps3D - and that's at Boston cinema, so if they've got it there they should it somewhere near you, @LeMarchand (seriously, they just got electricity in 2008 there*). Bit concerned that it will look like a fancy episode of Neighbours though, but hoping that years of aiming for 60fps on my PC will mean I'll acclimatise to it quick enough.

More concerned at how much padding they will have had to do to get a trilogy out of it though, getting flashbacks to the end of RotK Extended Edition just thinking about it :S

*may be a lie for comedic effect

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    More concerned at how much padding they will have had to do to get a trilogy out of it though, getting flashbacks to the end of RotK Extended Edition just thinking about it :S
    I'm hoping they've gone back to The Unfinished Tales and Simalarian (sp?) to create the trilogy rather than too much "padding". I'm looking forward to owning extended editions of all 6 films in what ever the greatest format is in 3-4 years time - and then trying to watch them back to back

Thank Post
    I saw it on Saturday(IMAX HFR 3D) and loved it. Dont know what the other reviewers were complaining about. Its going to be a long wait till December 13th 2013

Also as a bonus I got to see the 9 minute Star Trek Into Darkness preview, which was a total surprise as it was only supposed to be in a few IMAX cinemas and the one I went too was not on the list.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I'm hoping they've gone back to The Unfinished Tales and Simalarian (sp?) to create the trilogy rather than too much "padding". I'm looking forward to owning extended editions of all 6 films in what ever the greatest format is in 3-4 years time - and then trying to watch them back to back
    Ha ha yeah, done LOTR day about 3-4 times now, add on an extra (guesstimated) 8-10 hours and i'm not sure it'll be doable in one sitting!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Off on Sunday, to watch it in fancy-pants 48fps3D - and that's at Boston cinema, so if they've got it there they should it somewhere near you
    Nearest big towns are Portsmouth (none on the list I checked and the seating is non-reserved last time we went) and Southampton (48fps but godawful to get to, especially as the local council likes to play "only put up directional signs at certain major junctions") so nowhere I would have gone too - and this is from someone who drove 45 minutes to see The Cabal Cut of "Nightbreed".

As for "padding", apparently (according to the oracle that is Mme LeMarchand) it didn't seem padded at all - the "extras" were mainly from The Silmarillion.

P.S. Our showing would have been better if some moron hadn't booked "The Nutcracker Live" into the largest screen!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Also as a bonus I got to see the 9 minute Star Trek Into Darkness preview, which was a total surprise as it was only supposed to be in a few IMAX cinemas and the one I went too was not on the list.
    I heard about this and am quietly hoping that the Norwich Odeon are showing it in the HFR screening. How did it look? I might be looking forward to this more than the Hobbit trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    As for "padding", apparently (according to the oracle that is Mme LeMarchand) it didn't seem padded at all - the "extras" were mainly from The Silmarillion.
    That's good to hear. They did such a good job keeping to Tolkien in the first three films it's be a shame if they decided to stray without exploring the rest of his universe first.

Thank Post
    I saw it at the Norwich Odeon and it looked stunning as for padding it didnt feel padded at all to me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread