+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Banksy's at it again! in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Badzeye Get enough people to say its true and give it a few hundred years it could ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badzeye View Post
    Get enough people to say its true and give it a few hundred years it could be. Its only the same way other religions have spread.
    We got any Jedi's on here?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Nowadays our image of god comes from the image of Zeus!

This is my image.
    family-guy-god-as-flash-gordon.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, labelling an entire group of people with one bad label is a bad thing, but at what point do we get to take a look at an entire religion and get to analyse it and its effects over time and come to a conclusion whether it has been a good thing or bad, and that the people following it are either sensible or not etc...

Everything I see points to it having had a net negative effect on the world, drawing in people with weak minds to follow it. That's my experience. The hypocracy, the fervour, the abuse etc...

So, when is it acceptable for people from the outside looking in to make their comments without being deemed offensive?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    You just answered your own question - what is offensive is the labelling of an entire group of people, not people making comments.
    I don't know if religion has had a negative or positive effect on the world, all I know is that if people actually followed the tenets of their religion - after all -eg Christianity basically says "be nice to others" then things would be a lot better. AFAIC it is people doing bad things in the name of religion (not things the religion actually condones) that cause the issue.
    I am an outsider looking in - I'm a pagan (veering towards techno-pagan )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    You just answered your own question - what is offensive is the labelling of an entire group of people, not people making comments.
    I don't know if religion has had a negative or positive effect on the world, all I know is that if people actually followed the tenets of their religion - after all -eg Christianity basically says "be nice to others" then things would be a lot better. AFAIC it is people doing bad things in the name of religion (not things the religion actually condones) that cause the issue.
    I am an outsider looking in - I'm a pagan (veering towards techno-pagan )
    I don't think I did. If the end result of someone looking in on a religion is the view that the religion is corrupt, rife with abuse etc... why can't they say so? If I say 'US soldiers killed thousands of people', I am labelling an entire group but not every person within the military has killed someone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Maybe, but in the interview Banksy didn't label anyone nor did he insult anyone. He used the word "Christianity" and described THAT in stark and unequivocally negative language. Is anyone here "Christianity"? Seems people are keen enough to label themselves in positive effort to be insulted so they can then be outraged. I wonder if Banksy could craft some art that conveys that thought? Perhaps he already has.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Is it not possible that Banksy made said comments for exactly this reaction? I'd certainly never of heard of his (in my opinion, crap) sculpture had it not been for this thread. I'm sure it's going to get exactly the result he wants: his name mentioned everywhere.

Thank Post
    I think he was wrong to label christianity as a whole but many wrongs have been committed under it's guise - especially the catholic church:
    BBC News - Institutional Dutch Catholic abuse 'affected thousands'
    The Associated Press: Pope encourages scandal-marred Legion

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I wonder if "The Lord of the Rings" was written back then instead of the bible, if people today would be worshipping Frodo Baggins as a saviour and claiming Sauron was the devil.
    Scientology.

Based on the work of a science-fiction writer, now a "legitimate" religion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Scientology.

Based on the work of a science-fiction writer, now a "legitimate" religion.
    South Park has taught me all I need know about Scientology.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    South Park has taught me all I need know about Scientology. That and Tom Cruise stating he was undecided about eating his wife's placenta after giving birth.
    I've read other things on it. Like how they've hounded ex-members into suicide. [I may be misremembering this...]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, labelling an entire group of people with one bad label is a bad thing, but at what point do we get to take a look at an entire religion and get to analyse it and its effects over time and come to a conclusion whether it has been a good thing or bad, and that the people following it are either sensible or not etc...

Everything I see points to it having had a net negative effect on the world, drawing in people with weak minds to follow it. That's my experience. The hypocracy, the fervour, the abuse etc...

So, when is it acceptable for people from the outside looking in to make their comments without being deemed offensive?
    Never, unfourtunatly which is 90% of the problem, its up their with gender and race as a topic where generalisations, however valid can't be made as people are too close to the issues. Sure there are exceptions to everything and that is somewhat the point to.

This is where mirroring certain things and ideas in an 'alien' context, sci-fi or fantacy come in as it allows some, those that put stock in actual thought to consider such things isolated from all the messey emotional responces that are the first instinct of many.

Thank Post
    all I know is that if people actually followed the tenets of their religion - after all -eg Christianity basically says "be nice to others" then things would be a lot better. AFAIC it is people doing bad things in the name of religion (not things the religion actually condones) that cause the issue.
    This is another of my issues. It depends when in time you are. for example, simply having this thread (which to us is not a bad thing) would have meant being stoned to death at some point in our past.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To whoever left the neg rep 'So, I've got a weak mind?'. If you'd left your username I'd reply directly. In my personal opinion? Yes you do. As I say though, that's my opinion (and some others too, based on the psychological view that religious belief is a mass delusion in order to make people feel happier as they can't bear to think for themselves).

To me, if you can't go through life without needing to believe that there is a supreme being pulling strings, it shows a lack of ability of critical thinking, and a lack of individuality.

But, to each their own. So long as your religious views don't harm anyone, you're welcome to them.

Thank Post
    You're saying people lack individuality if they believe in religion? I don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast