+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Banksy's at it again! in Fun Stuff; We are an evolving species, and while we evolve so do our religions. Which is why I will never believe. ...

Thank Post
    We are an evolving species, and while we evolve so do our religions.
    Which is why I will never believe. If God says it should be done this way, how come it can be altered by us to fit the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    The old testament ones I read as I was curious one day and flicked though in RE. The new testament ones I was told about by friends who are into religion studies and goggled them to check. But I agree this isn't the place to discuss the bible it always go badly.
    I am not really looking for an argument so will step out now. As you say this isn't the place.
    I meant it sincerely about PMing me. As has been said we have our own beliefs, but it's so easy to say 'the bible is bad, it says this' - a lot of our language has changed over the years and therefore it's easy to read the bible the wrong way. If you have any questions please PM me and I'll give you my interpretation as a Christian.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Which is why I will never believe. If God says it should be done this way, how come it can be altered by us to fit the time.
    What has altered? We still go by the same book, and although it has undergone many translations the context has not changed, just the ability to read it in a modern world? Nothing else has changed in what we follow. Yes, the church has relaxed their views on certain subjects over the years, but after all we are all fallable and can only practice something as we understand it at the time. We still follow the same Jesus Christ however, who is the Son of the same God, and whom sent the same Holy Spirit - so what has changed?

Thank Post
    Reading discussions like this always makes me thank god I'm an atheist.

Thank Post
    OK who wants to lock this thread?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    OK who wants to lock this thread?
    OK who wants to make this fella a mod?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He (Banksy) is voicing an opinion, which he's allowed to do. Whether it's right or wrong is not an invitation for people to mock others, generically label entire groups of people incorrectly or start an argument on whether Religion A/B/C/X/Y/Z is right or wrong. Retain mutual respect despite differing beliefs and we shall all continue to move forwards rather than backwards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    He (Banksy) is voicing an opinion, which he's allowed to do. Whether it's right or wrong is not an invitation for people to mock others, generically label entire groups of people incorrectly or start an argument on whether Religion A/B/C/X/Y/Z is right or wrong. Retain mutual respect despite differing beliefs and we shall all continue to move forwards rather than backwards.
    I believe you may have missed the point. People here aren't labelling entire groups. If you read the article, Banksy is the one who said that Christianity is about corruption, lies and abuse.
    So you are saying he is entitled to his opinion, but then saying we shouldn't label groups (which he has done). So which is it? He is either entitled to his own opinion or he shouldn't label entire groups of people

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't suggest it was said, it was just an example of what could happen. It's pointless getting worked up about it.

Thank Post
    You are aware the bible condones murder, mutilation, beastiality, and prostitution right?

Allow me
    If your going to quote from the bible, you need to do more than repeat two verses. You totally miss the point of the author otherwise, exactly like you would if you took two sentences out of any other conversation or book. You need to understand the whole book, and the history around it.

For example, Ezekiel 23 is talking about two prostitutes that represent the people of Jerusalem and Samaria (verse 4 explicitly states that). God is taking his own people to task about their behaviour over many years dating back to before Moses when the Israelites were in Egypt. The last two sections of ch 23 are titled "God's Judgement on the Younger Sister", and "God's Judgement on Both Sisters" and clearly show that there is a consequence to sin. The Sisters being the prostitutes if that wasn't obvious.

God and the bible don't condone murder, mutilation, beastiality, or prostitution, they are very much against them. All the main characters of the bible apart from God and Jesus have big character flaws and sin in their lives. The overall message of the bible is about God defeating sin and evil, rescuing humans from their fallen state and creating a place (heaven/the new Jerusalem) where sin and evil do not exist any more.

Jesus would have some very blunt things to say about paedophiles, those that would allow them to continue to hold positions where they might re-offend, and those that force the victims away from the church and salvation. It wouldn't be meek or mild.

I'm personally offended that Banksy speaks of christianity like he did, but far more offended that the church as a whole isn't doing a lot more to root out paedophiles within the church.
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 16th December 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Thank Post
    What has happened in the Catholic Church in awful, truly awful. However, if Banksy was really concerned about abuse, rather than just having a cheap pop at Christianity, he would have made statues of an entire family with all their faces pixelated as the vast majority of sexual abuse is perpetrated by family members.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    The bible wasn't written by God.

(I cannot prove or dis-prove this)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bible was written by man...and in the 4th Century there was debate turning Jesus from a Man into the Son of God (Look at Judaism (post modern scriptures by scholars in Israel), Baha'i and Islam for the references, neither of those three religions believe Jesus was the son of god, but more like a prophet like Muhammad, Abraham, Moses, Baha'u'llah (Baha'i only for the last one)). Islam, Judaism, and Baha'i all have scriptures (supposedly) told to man by god and written down verbatim. Christianity's scripture is various different events as "witnessed" by various different people.

The only religious texts NOT to have changed since the founding of the religion are the Torah, the Quran and the Writings of the Bab (Baha'i). The Bible has changed so many times over the years as it incorporated other faiths (such as paganism, norse religions and greek/roman religions). A prime example of this is God himself, seen to be looking old and full of wisdom, yet before christianity incorporated the greek/roman religions, there were no pictures of god or any such depictions as they were deemed to be heretical. Nowadays our image of god comes from the image of Zeus!

Thank Post
    I wonder if "The Lord of the Rings" was written back then instead of the bible, if people today would be worshipping Frodo Baggins as a saviour and claiming Sauron was the devil.

Thank Post
    Get enough people to say its true and give it a few hundred years it could be. Its only the same way other religions have spread.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast