+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Banksy's at it again! in Fun Stuff; Tbh i never understand 'art', i looked at it and thought 'oh there's a few things (didn't realise what they ...
    Thank Post
    Tbh i never understand 'art', i looked at it and thought 'oh there's a few things (didn't realise what they were) stuck on a statue'.
    It wasn't till i read the information that i discovered what the fuss is about, my view on it is neutral, i'm not someone that understands old or new art and follow no religion so i purely see it as a statue with it's face cut off (only found out from txt below) and some small tiles (again only from reading) stuck on the face.

The one thing i do see from this though (either the news peice or this thread) is people who make sweeping statemts - All christians are pedophiles / All gamers are murderers etc.

Some of each group 'may' be but thats no reason to accuse the majoritory who are not.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Think of it this way:
    If one member of Edugeek were found to be a convicted paedophile, would you be happy with someone saying
    "You are forgetting what Edugeek is really about, the power hungry paedophiles who go there"

Remove religion, the "art", the "artist" and all the rest of it, if you were branded a paedophile just because you were in the same organisation as one, would you be happy? If not, then that is why this piece of art is being considered offensive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    He's completely missed the meaning of Christianity, and focused on the corrupt few that exist in the church (pretty much like any other organisation). Perhaps this idiot needs to read a few pages of the bible.
    It sounds to me like he did read the bible. Normally I donít like to get involved in religious threads but it was only yesterday I read parts of the bible and came across, rape, murder, slaves and various other horrible things that it said was ok for people of Christianity faith to do.

If the bible came out today I strongly believe it would get a ban due to the horrible content.

EDIT:
    For example at Numbers 31:15-18 Mosses pretty much said go kill all the men even the innocent ones, kill every woman thatís not a virgin even the married ones and take all the virgin as slaves to rape and do what you like with.

22:28-29 says itís ok to rape a woman and pay to take her as your wife. The bible is not a present read.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 15th December 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    It sounds to me like he did read the bible. Normally I don’t like to get involved in religious threads but it was only yesterday I read parts of the bible and came across, rape, murder, slaves and various other horrible things that it said was ok for people of Christianity faith to do.

If the bible came out today I strongly believe it would get a ban due to the horrible content.
    Care to show me these references (from the new testament, obviously )?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It sounds to me like he did read the bible. Normally I don’t like to get involved in religious threads but it was only yesterday I read parts of the bible and came across, rape, murder, slaves and various other horrible things that it said was ok for people of Christianity faith to do.

But doesn't that also come down to interpretation?
    Does the Qur'an specifically state that you should fly an aeroplane into a large structure? If (as quoted) the Bible says a man was murdered, does it mean you should go and murder someone? It is that literal interpretation that leads to trouble.
    People who want to will interpret the religious books in any way they see fit to affirm the views they have.

-28į 31' 48.89", +28į 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    It sounds to me like he did read the bible.
    Most likely as he did go to this school. Bristol Cathedral Choir School - BCCS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    But doesn't that also come down to interpretation?
    Does the Qur'an specifically state that you should fly an aeroplane into a large structure? If (as quoted) the Bible says a man was murdered, does it mean you should go and murder someone? It is that literal interpretation that leads to trouble.
    People who want to will interpret the religious books in any way they see fit to affirm the views they have.
    I am no bible expert, I just opened up the Old Testament and started reading and was shocked at show how bad the bible is. As far as I am aware it’s not down to interpretation it flat out says some of these things clearly. I don’t really understand the difference’s between the Testament’s. By why would someone of faith ignore half the bible? Surly you follow it all or none?

Thank Post
    You can get quotes out of the bible and interpret them the way you want. But at the end of the day it's a 2000 year old book which has been translated etc how many times.

I mean women in the UK have only been able to vote for less than 100 years!

We are an evolving species, and while we evolve so do our religions.

The Qur'an has some horrific stuff in it, and I think and hope one day they accept women as equals too.

Thank Post
    Surly you follow it all or none?
    As a Christian I acknowledge both parts of the bible, but Christianity basically means the following of Christ, which is all told in the new testament. Following the old testament would make me Jewish.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am no bible expert, I just opened up the Old Testament and started reading and was shocked at show how bad the bible is. As far as I am aware it’s not down to interpretation it flat out says some of these things clearly. I don’t really understand the difference’s between the Testament’s. By why would someone of faith ignore half the bible? Surly you follow it all or none?
    But the parts you read, do they say "you should kill another man" or does it say "X killed Y"? I doubt every word in the Bible is a commandment or way that you should lead your life.
    I am no Bible expert either having never read it, but I'd like to think that if I did, despite the fact it describes a murder or prostitution I wouldn't be inclined to go and murder just because it referenced it. If the Bible said "Thou shalt kill anyone you like," then fair enough

Thank Post
    And that's getting away from the point anyway. My original point was that I found Bansky's comments offensive - his comments that made a sweeping statement about those that belong to a certain faith. No matter what religion you are, if any at all - it is wrong and offensive to make such a statement. That was my original point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    But the parts you read, do they say "you should kill another man" or does it say "X killed Y"? I doubt every word in the Bible is a commandment or way that you should lead your life.
    I am no Bible expert either having never read it, but I'd like to think that if I did, despite the fact it describes a murder or prostitution I wouldn't be inclined to go and murder just because it referenced it. If the Bible said "Thou shalt kill anyone you like," then fair enough
    It said you should kill and take slaves. “Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.”
    I assume little ones it boys.

Even the new testament has some pretty bad bits. Wasn’t is Matthew 19:29 where Jesus says abandon home & family to follow him so you can get into haven. Or Matthew 10:24-27 where Jesus say he hasn’t came for peace but to sword and to make family’s hate each other.
    Luke 14:26 Jesus says you have to hate your family; children or you cannot be his disciple.
    The bible is full of stuff like that as far as I can see. That or I just have a really bad interpreted version.

Thank Post
    Even the new testament has some pretty bad bits. Wasn’t is Matthew 19:29 where Jesus says abandon home & family to follow him so you can get into haven. Or Matthew 10:24-27 where Jesus say he hasn’t came for peace but to sword and to make family’s hate each other.
    Luke 14:26 Jesus says you have to hate your family; children or you cannot be his disciple.
    The bible is full of stuff like that as far as I can see. That or I just have a really bad interpreted version.
    Are you picking these out by hand or have you just Googled 'bad stuff in the bible' - honestly I don't think here is the place to be discussing the bible, but if you ever want any bible quotes from another perspective just drop me a PM.

Thank Post
    The old testament ones I read as I was curious one day and flicked though in RE. The new testament ones I was told about by friends who are into religion studies and goggled them to check. But I agree this isn't the place to discuss the bible it always go badly.
    I am not really looking for an argument so will step out now. As you say this isn't the place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast