+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Hoax (or just overly candid!) Stock Trader on BBC in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster How would showing humility make the misery for those people go away? I'm not saying that ...
  1. #16

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,823
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    How would showing humility make the misery for those people go away?

    I'm not saying that he's a nice person, but I am saying that railing at him for not being a nice person is like railing at water for being wet. We all act in ways which affect others but we choose not to think about it.
    Your argument is flawed based on one thing - do you lead your own life in a perfect way? Vegan, don't use any form of electricity or transport? Grow your own food without using any chemicals? Make your own clothes, from cotton you grew yourself?

    If not, then you are basically saying that where you draw your line in the sand over what is acceptable is better than someone else's. You don't have the right to say that. You can advise and say why it is, but making out that MK-2's opinion about this bloke is flawed because he does something that you see as wrong is itself wrong.

  2. #17

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    How would showing humility make the misery for those people go away?

    I'm not saying that he's a nice person, but I am saying that railing at him for not being a nice person is like railing at water for being wet. We all act in ways which affect others but we choose not to think about it.
    so if a person in your family was in a car accident and died, and while you are stood there a man walks up to you and begins laughing in your face, thats fine? why have a go at him, he is acting differently, and his laughter wont make the person come back will it.

    as i said before, if i were to go on tv and say "i really hope we have another holocaust as i could really profit from it" nobody should make a fuss, as it wont bring back those who died and im just being candid.
    its common sense and also compassion not to rub peoples noses in the situation they are suffering from and you are prospering from. if you won the lottery would you go up to homeless people and say "haha i have money you have none, haha" which is what, basically, he has done

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    so if a person in your family was in a car accident and died, and while you are stood there a man walks up to you and begins laughing in your face, thats fine? why have a go at him, he is acting differently, and his laughter wont make the person come back will it.

    as i said before, if i were to go on tv and say "i really hope we have another holocaust as i could really profit from it" nobody should make a fuss, as it wont bring back those who died and im just being candid.
    its common sense and also compassion not to rub peoples noses in the situation they are suffering from and you are prospering from. if you won the lottery would you go up to homeless people and say "haha i have money you have none, haha" which is what, basically, he has done
    Would this guy do it to someone's face? No, and that's exactly the point. It's the distance between his actions and the reason for them that allows him to say that.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Your argument is flawed based on one thing - do you lead your own life in a perfect way? Vegan, don't use any form of electricity or transport? Grow your own food without using any chemicals? Make your own clothes, from cotton you grew yourself?
    If I had been telling him to live more like me, I would agree with you, but I didn't.

    If not, then you are basically saying that where you draw your line in the sand over what is acceptable is better than someone else's. You don't have the right to say that. You can advise and say why it is, but making out that MK-2's opinion about this bloke is flawed because he does something that you see as wrong is itself wrong.
    I think MK-2 is expecting a degree of altruism to which none of us can realistically aspire in a globalised economy. As I wrote above, I don't think this guy is a nice person, but I don't agree with the hand-wringing moralising around his behaviour. What he has said is what we all do, every single day, when we sell or scrap computers, when we buy clothes from China, whatever. We're all making money off of the back of someone else's misery.
    Last edited by Flatpackhamster; 4th October 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Rogue Quote.

  5. #20

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    I don't agree with the hand-wringing moralising around his behaviour. What he has said is what we all do, every single day, when we sell or scrap computers, when we buy clothes from China, whatever. We're all making money off of the back of someone else's misery.
    and as i said, we dont all then go on tv, proclaiming we are looking for the next way to make others miserable.
    going by what you said, lets say i buy a new tv and get rid of the old one, knowing full well it could go to a country and injure a child. fair enough, i live with that chance. now if the bbc say will you come on our show and tell the people how you hope another child gets killed from the fumes of your tv so you can get another bigger tv, do i?
    thats the point im making, yes, he made money from it, countless others did, but they didn't then go on to tv proclaiming they await the next chance to do it.

    if this is a hoax, again its not very good. it doesn't highlight anything. it would be like a white man going on tv to say he hoped all black babies died at birth....then a few months later saying "ahhhh just kidding i was doing it to highlight baby death rates". the damage has been done in the initial broadcast and the discussion it will evoke (like the one we are having now).

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    and as i said, we dont all then go on tv, proclaiming we are looking for the next way to make others miserable.
    going by what you said, lets say i buy a new tv and get rid of the old one, knowing full well it could go to a country and injure a child. fair enough, i live with that chance. now if the bbc say will you come on our show and tell the people how you hope another child gets killed from the fumes of your tv so you can get another bigger tv, do i?
    thats the point im making, yes, he made money from it, countless others did, but they didn't then go on to tv proclaiming they await the next chance to do it.
    A more accurate comparison would be you buying a new TV, and then going on TV and saying that you hope prices of flat-screen TVs are going to fall because then your next one will be cheaper. He hasn't said he hopes anyone dies.

    if this is a hoax, again its not very good. it doesn't highlight anything. it would be like a white man going on tv to say he hoped all black babies died at birth....then a few months later saying "ahhhh just kidding i was doing it to highlight baby death rates". the damage has been done in the initial broadcast and the discussion it will evoke (like the one we are having now).
    You've tried to over-emotionalise this by linking his behaviour first to Nazism and now to racism. It's a cheap trick. He's neither a nazi nor a racist, even if he's a twit.

  7. #22

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    A more accurate comparison would be you buying a new TV, and then going on TV and saying that you hope prices of flat-screen TVs are going to fall because then your next one will be cheaper. He hasn't said he hopes anyone dies.
    You've tried to over-emotionalise this by linking his behaviour first to Nazism and now to racism. It's a cheap trick. He's neither a nazi nor a racist, even if he's a twit.
    fine, i'll stop linking it to anything.

    he went on tv...fact
    he claimed that he waits for the next recession....fact
    the recession will make many thousands of people a lot worse off....fact
    he will benefit from said recession.....fact


    and just to use your example of
    A more accurate comparison would be you buying a new TV, and then going on TV and saying that you hope prices of flat-screen TVs are going to fall because then your next one will be cheaper. He hasn't said he hopes anyone dies.
    the price of a flatscreen going down will not put thousands in poverty and cause people to lose their jobs, etc. he is talking about an event that will affect many millions of people in a bad way.

    i am not arguing that he and many others benefit from this, i am arguing that he is a dick for going on tv to gloat over the fact.
    put simply, two lottery winners go on tv, one says "this will change my life, im so happy", the other says "ha, you can all blow me, i'm rich and you are all poor scum".
    which do you look at and think "what a jerk?"

  8. #23
    stevenlong1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    502
    Thank Post
    733
    Thanked 104 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    Okay..... Have anyone seen these Documentary "Collapse" IMDb - Collapse (2009) or Michael Moores "Capitalism: A Love Story" Kapitalismus: Eine Liebesgeschichte (2009) - IMDb or aware about #occupywallstreet Probably not the last one as theres a media blackout about it now, including block a on trending on twitter

  9. #24
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,022
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 76 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    116
    My personal opinion of the guy is that he's saying what he is basically to try and get people's attention for whatever reason. I think the question we NEED to be asking is WHY do we have an economic system that rewards excessive risk and is completely amoral. Never mind throwing around moral judgements about specific individuals. At least he had the nerve to go on TV and tell it like it is. As he said he hopes for another recession/boom as market volitility is the time when the most profit/loss can be made. He's just chasing numbers on a computer screen to try and maximise his profit and minimise loss. No different than any other stocktrader on the planet!

    The problem is those numbers on the screens represent the savings/pensions of millions of individuals around the world. Currently the FTSE stock market's just pluged 200 points to 4900 as doubts mount over the Greek bailout. Whatever happens the resulting fallout is going to be with us for years. The options being :-

    a) Bailout Greece - If this happens it's basically tacitly saying that other PIGs countries will also be bailed out. Though "bailout" sounds like a nice word and it would likely stabilise stock markets you have to remember it's ultimately a remit to print more money/debt and very high inflation globally for the next few years will likely be the result.

    b) Let Greece go Bankrupt - Stocks would collapse and and banks runs would be widespread as fear grips markets and everyone panics over who will be next in line to fall after Greece.

    Arguably b) is the morally right choice and quickest way to resolve the crisis but the resulting civil unrest could be much worse than a). For what it's worth I think option a) [or somekind of bailout/EU stability fund] is the likely outcome as it's less dangerous and will spread out the debt from the global property bubble over the next decade or so in the form of inflation.

    Don't get me wrong though. Neither option is pretty......

    *The above is my opinion drawn from my somewhat basic understanding of economics!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 4th October 2011 at 05:13 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Just found the ICT teacher on youtube.....
    By StewartKnight in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 19th October 2007, 08:17 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th September 2007, 08:36 AM
  3. Cisco PIX, HP Procurve or just ISA?
    By mrforgetful in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th September 2007, 10:21 AM
  4. Waste of money Whitewash or Just Bad luck ?
    By benIT in forum ICT KS3 SATS Tests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th May 2007, 09:16 PM
  5. Do the course or just read the book?
    By Lee_K_81 in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th January 2007, 01:02 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •