+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Sticky wicket in Fun Stuff; This happened to our site manager at work yesterday and we took it from our cctv system. Ben...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts

Sticky wicket

This happened to our site manager at work yesterday and we took it from our cctv system.

Ben

Thank Post
    I hate to sound like a killjoy, but use of CCTV footage in schools is governed by Data Protection and you should be following the ICO code of Practice. Are you sure posting footage to You-Tube is a valid use under your DP registration? If it is, I'm shocked.

Thank Post
    Is he really going to glue the carpet down over that inspection cover? After he's cleaned the glue off his face! Might be easier to stick carpet to his chin and call it a beard!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    The footage was posted by the person himself.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The footage was posted by the person himself.
    I'm not trying to go, but it just struck me as ... 'wrong'. If someone in our school posted video from the CCTV system to YouTube I'd consider it as an abuse of the system. CCTV is provided for a specific purpose - safeguarding (I use the term loosely) students and school property. Access to CCTV footage is given to people on the basis that they will use it appropriately and responsibly. Failure to do so might result in a breach of ICO code of practice or Data Protection, either of which could find you at the wrong end of legal proceedings. There has been a lot of ... 'gnashing of teeth' over the use of CCTV in Schools, some of it understandable - so it's important that it's use is respectable and that those with access behave professionally. In the case of the video posted here, the subject might have consented (implicit since you say he posted it) but it is not a valid use of the system. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, he might be the data subject as such but he does not own copyright of the footage - that belongs to the school. Would he have gone to the Head or the Governing body and asked them if they minded him posting footage from their CCTV system? I might be wrong, but I doubt it (and I'd hope they wouldn't consent to such use).

Again, I'm not trying to have a go or troll - I thought it was an 'interesting' issue and might benefit from discussion. Plenty of CCTV footage seems to find it's way to YouTube - often without either the subjects permission or the copyright holders permission. IMO CCTV should never be a source of 'amusing' Video, it's use should be strictly reserved for use as evidence. Systems are put in place as 'protection' - not as a potential source of amusement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread