+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Hit and Run, driver in Southall in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    200 hours community service, 2 year ban and had to pay the victim £500 compensation. Apparently. Quite pathetic really.
    its good to know our judicial service is spot on. i have £500 so if i don't like the look of someone i'll make sure i run them over then just plead ignorance.

thing is i've driven past many people using phones, lighting a cigarette, drinking a drink, etc. and they have no care in the world. but the police also leave things like this unless they have these major pushes (where they concentrate on seatbelts and mobile phones) for a day or two. all other times they ignore it, as its just a bit more paperwork.
    i bet even if this was a police car following her, they wouldn't have pulled her over for the dangerous driving, they wait and see what happens, see if the car is stolen, etc.
    so she would still have hit that man, then they would have intervened.
    their attitude seems to be "if they are speeding then a camera will catch them."

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Oh shi-

The sheer self-centredness of some people is still astonishing, even to my cynical eye. The arrogance just beggars belief.

Given that I have an hour long drive to work each morning, I've spent a fair amount of time experimenting with driving styles on the road, and driving aggressively, overtaking at every opportunity, pushing as hard as I can gets me to work all of about 2 minutes quicker than leaving a big breaking gap and not worrying about it, so long as I'm trundling along at 50 or more. I'm also much more relaxed and fuel efficient the latter way, and have yet to nearly kill an elderly gentleman in my dash to work, so I suspect that chilling the *&%^ and co-operating with other road users instead of competing is much the better way to drive.
    Agreed....

I have one style of driving now....

Take my time, there is NO need to rush anywhere. Take this morning, for instance.....Driving from Northants to Suffolk, via the A14, I was able to set the cruise control to 70....Sit back, and concentrate on the road ahead, as opposed to the speedo. Watch all around my car and make sure that I check my mirrors as and when.

22 years without a crash tells its own story. Be confident, but don't be reckless!

Thank Post
    Hounslow, I know the area well, doesn't surprise me, lots of crap drivers there...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    co-operating with other road users instead of competing is much the better way to drive.
    SPOT.....ON!

there's already a divide between cars and bikes (which we see here regularly). you then get the high end cars vs the normal car divide (the bmw/audi effect) and the male vs female driver argument, so by the time you get on the road, there are about 4 cars you will tolerate before going mental. we may as well segregate the lanes into black vs white people and be done with it!

i used to drive a bit more aggresively than i do now (but still legally i'll add!) but now as @sonofsanta says, I've given up with that. i keep below the limit rather than dead on it (only by a few miles, not 40 in a 60, more like 55/57 in a 60), if someone is up my a**e trying to push past, they can either wait there shouting at me or frik off to the autobahn, i'm not going to endanger myself or anyone else to accomodate these idiots.
    i've also found with a more relaxed driving attitude i can get over 600miles from a tank now compared to the 520 i used to get.

yes i still get irritated at things, but not to the point i'll overtake 10 cars or zoom through a roundabout not looking just to make up some time, is the extra ten mins you gain really worth the fact you could die

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    SPOT.....ON!

there's already a divide between cars and bikes (which we see here regularly). you then get the high end cars vs the normal car divide (the bmw/audi effect) and the male vs female driver argument, so by the time you get on the road, there are about 4 cars you will tolerate before going mental. we may as well segregate the lanes into black vs white people and be done with it!

i used to drive a bit more aggresively than i do now (but still legally i'll add!) but now as @sonofsanta says, I've given up with that. i keep below the limit rather than dead on it (only by a few miles, not 40 in a 60, more like 55/57 in a 60), if someone is up my a**e trying to push past, they can either wait there shouting at me or frik off to the autobahn, i'm not going to endanger myself or anyone else to accomodate these idiots.
    i've also found with a more relaxed driving attitude i can get over 600miles from a tank now compared to the 520 i used to get.

yes i still get irritated at things, but not to the point i'll overtake 10 cars or zoom through a roundabout not looking just to make up some time, is the extra ten mins you gain really worth the fact you could die
    As someone I know always used to say....

"It is better to be 10 mins late, in this life, than early for the next life"

If you consider that, as you drive, it makes the whole experience that much more pleasurable!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12