+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, This is what you spend all day doing? in Fun Stuff; BBC News - Dinosaurs were animal world's top bone heads Researchers settle whose skull makes for the top head-butt; dinosaurs ...
  1. #1

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200

    This is what you spend all day doing?

    BBC News - Dinosaurs were animal world's top bone heads

    Researchers settle whose skull makes for the top head-butt; dinosaurs beat modern day animals to win the title of heavy-weight head-butter.
    Brilliant, I'm sure all those dying of cancer will be glad to know that a dinosaur could win a headbutting contest with a rhino, great use of scientific research.....in the same vain as what makes a perfect cup of tea and why do cornflakes go soggy in the bowl

    [/cynic]

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,769
    Thank Post
    323
    Thanked 259 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    To be added to Snacking clue to obesity epidemic

    Thanks for letting me know that probably an Increase in food = increase in weight!

  3. #3

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    To be added to Snacking clue to obesity epidemic

    Thanks for letting me know that probably an Increase in food = increase in weight!
    and not forgetting yesterdays classic - "Births fuel UK population rise - BBC"
    Really? You mean deaths don't fuel a population rise?

  4. #4

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    what makes a perfect cup of tea and why do cornflakes go soggy in the bowl
    Do you know why/how, exactly, cornflakes go soggy, or can you investigate the problem? If not, I'm not sure I'd trust you to recommend building materials for a new bridge or a tower block. Scientists and engineers have to learn somewhere, and the facts presented in the media are often from a larger body of research or part of a class exercise. I'd rather the bridge and office block builders of the future started small and worked their way up (now imaganing a bridge made from a really big cornflake...) rather than wind up with more Tacoma Narrows-style video footage.

  5. #5

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,660
    Thank Post
    859
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    and not forgetting yesterdays classic - "Births fuel UK population rise - BBC"
    Really? You mean deaths don't fuel a population rise?
    Depends whether or not DEATH is in a good mood, you know what he's like....

  6. #6

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Do you know why/how, exactly, cornflakes go soggy, or can you investigate the problem? If not, I'm not sure I'd trust you to recommend building materials for a new bridge or a tower block. Scientists and engineers have to learn somewhere, and the facts presented in the media are often from a larger body of research or part of a class exercise. I'd rather the bridge and office block builders of the future started small and worked their way up (now imaganing a bridge made from a really big cornflake...) rather than wind up with more Tacoma Narrows-style video footage.
    seriously? so where do you apply "what makes the perfect cup of tea" or "dinosaurs can headbutt"?
    and as for not trusting me to recommend building materials, well thats fine, but at the same time i'm not sure i'd trust a bloke whose whole scentific career is based around why milk makes a cornflake soggy. is he expecting milk rain, or as you say a cornflake bridge? if not then its all theoretical.
    i could say i punched a dog, therefore on a larger scale i have learnt that all wolves in the past 2000 years have licked their left paw first.

  7. #7

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,660
    Thank Post
    859
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    At lest cornflakes would be better than Rice Krispies.. first bit of rain and the whole bridge will crack, the crackle, and finally go with a loud pop..

    Though maybe not as bad as Cocoa Pops.. First storm and it'll turn the whole road chocolatey..


  8. #8

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    At lest cornflakes would be better than Rice Krispies.. first bit of rain and the whole bridge will crack, the crackle, and finally go with a loud pop..

    Though maybe not as bad as Cocoa Pops.. First storm and it'll turn the whole road chocolatey..

    Tony the Tiger isn't a bad project manager though. In fact you could say he's grrrrrrrreat. (you started it!!!)

  9. #9

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    where do you apply "what makes the perfect cup of tea" or "dinosaurs can headbutt"?
    I don't know, I'm not a speacialist in any field that would let me investigate either question.

    i'm not sure i'd trust a bloke whose whole scentific career is based around why milk makes a cornflake soggy.
    I imagine most engineers take more than one class during their training, so I'm sure they know other stuff too.

    i could say i punched a dog, therefore on a larger scale i have learnt that all wolves in the past 2000 years have licked their left paw first.
    No, you've carried out an experiment and formed a theory - correlation does not imply causation and so on.

  10. #10

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    I CAN tell you how to make a perfect cuppa tea, and it won't take a £250,000 grant to do it, either!

    However, I'm not going to, cos only I should drink that perfect cuppa!

  11. #11

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,660
    Thank Post
    859
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    I drink Coffee so I don't care...

  12. #12

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I drink Coffee so I don't care...
    Wouldn't have told you anyway......LOL!!

    Though I COULD tell you the secret to a great cup of coffee.....

  13. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,684
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    833
    Investigations into things like 'head butting' are where the media pulls a small snippet of information from a much larger publication, to make a light hearted media piece. 99 times out of 100, the published research is about something much more boring.

  14. #14

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Hang on: did dinosaurs suffer from cancer? Maybe a short, sharp blow to the front of the head on a regular basis has health benefits?...

  15. #15
    kesomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    ROFL @ dhicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How much do you spend on average.....
    By mrbios in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 23rd February 2011, 08:27 AM
  2. What to spend the money on...
    By Chuckster in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th February 2011, 10:03 PM
  3. What would you spend it on?
    By techie08 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th January 2010, 11:52 AM
  4. What can we spend money on???
    By gibbo_ap in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 12:14 PM
  5. Help me spend - Switchs
    By dave.81 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 01:22 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •