+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CESIL I just tried these but I am not going to tell you my scores in case ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I just tried these but I am not going to tell you my scores in case I am accused of being holier than thou or offered a job driving the Pope
    Why so many questions about what you should do in case of an accident? How about quizzing people on driving, then maybe they won't have to know what to do in an accident. There was 2 questions on road markings and not one on road signs!

My mates just passed his test and OMG it must be nigh on impossible to fail;
    He hit a kerb when doing his manoeuvre - hitting the kerb was a major when I did mine, plus you did more than one manoeuvre.
    He didn't actually stop on his emergency stop - again major.
    When asked to "stop in a safe place" he stopped infront of a HGV which was waiting to pull out - don't know if that was a major or a minor when I did my test but oh dear.
    He stalled twice...
    There's a couple more but I can't for the life of me remember what he said.

Please someone tell me that he just got the most lenient examiner in history and this isn't the bar for everyone now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    . Go and be a Monaco steward, you will fit in perfectly there......

Can I be the first to say

HERE HERE!
    DITTO!
    etc!

Monaco, the only F1 circuit on the calendar that bans racing. It should not be allowed on the F1 calendar, it's not a viable track, it's dangerous and it's pointless. Apart from the money.

Thank Post
    Whilst I admire your riding ability Matt, the only thing I would say is that during the last MotoGP race in France, Pedrosa and Simoncelli collided. It was probably Simoncelli's fault but Pedrosa got the broken collar bone. If the accident had been between Pedrosa on his Honda and Hamilton in his McLaren, then Pedrosa probably wouldn't have walked away from it. It's the same on the North Circular GP. It might be the other guy's fault but the biker usually loses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Whilst I admire your riding ability Matt, the only thing I would say is that during the last MotoGP race in France, Pedrosa and Simoncelli collided. It was probably Simoncelli's fault but Pedrosa got the broken collar bone. If the accident had been between Pedrosa on his Honda and Hamilton in his McLaren, then Pedrosa probably wouldn't have walked away from it. It's the same on the North Circular GP. It might be the other guy's fault but the biker usually loses.
    It depends on how fast Pedrosa came to a sudden stop - You could be going at 180mph on a bike, come off, slide / roll and not hit anything and walk away. You could also be doing 60mph, come off and then hit a tree 2 1 second after coming off and be killed instantly.
    But putting all those points to one side, any bike / car combination is never good for anyone !!

Thank Post
    But putting all those points to one side, any bike / car combination is never good for anyone
    That's the problem. Racers have some incredible protection and can come off at 100mph or more, slide into the gravel and be unhurt. But they aren't then taken out by a juggernaut. There's just too much unfair competition on UK roads for my liking.

Thank Post
    His father teaches electric guitar here. Chris hasn't been the same since the loss of his son. Be careful out there!
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 30th May 2011 at 11:58 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Andrew_C: Thanks for the info. Failed that first mock theory by one point dammit! Not bad for no pre-reading beforehand though. :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I'm floundering about with all the new bike types. FZ thisis and thats... Any recommendations? I'd like:-
    Touring/commuting - summer / fair weather mainly
    Hard luggage friendly if not fitted
    500-750ish
    Not too forward leaning posture
    Faired? Probably
    Maybe a bit out of the ordinary - Trident? BMW?

The new Diversion (600cc straight 4) meets most of that - possibly not the last. My MT03 meets some and the last but while it's a huge bucket of fun on a commute, I'm not sure it would be great for long touring (no full fairing and a 600cc single). I'm just about to put my CBR600 up for sale, which definitely meets most of that apart from the last (and depends on what you consider not too far forward).

Thank Post
    I passed my CBT last week, now looking for a 125 to get practice on. Hope to go on to do DAS mainly for the commute to work, cost saving etc. Having driven a car for 6+ years I hope it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mattx.....

Was off for the last week, so a bit late to this one!

***********Controversial View Warning************

I've just sat through your video, because I read the first page of comments, and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Anyhow, 14 minutes later and (as a non-biker) I have to say I was impressed! Having driven around London for a fair portion of my adult life, I have seen my fair share of bikers doing mad things. However, from that short film, I thought you rode really well. I can see why people would point out some of the stuff (chevrons etc) but you didn't seem to be taking any risks, and was actually very respectful to other road users. The overtaking of the car as he pulled out to overtake the bus was no big problem, IMO, as you would've had the power to accelerate past him should something have come up the other way, that you hadn't see.

I would imagine that sitting up would give you the great view to be able to ride as you did.

Most riders, from my point of view, are usually very good, but there will always be some that colour a persons views on bikers.

Nice film, nice riding.....Just not for me!! I WILL stick to my car, and the (non-existent in Suffolk) traffic jams!!!!

Thank Post
    Thank you - nice to get some good feedback from someone who understands.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you - nice to get some good feedback from someone who understands.
    To be honest, I wish I had the stones to do it myself, but having seen my best friend die at 16 (through his own stupidity, I hasten to add) from riding a bike, I've always steered clear of them......except one time......and I nearly killed MYSELF!

I once knew a guy who raced everywhere at 100mph on his bike....and he had the reasoning that "one day, I'll go out, and just not come back. And I realise that". Quite a fatalistic view, and I often wonder what happened to him. (This was 20+ years ago!)

You obviously enjoy your riding, and like I said, I couldn't really see anything that would upset me, in my car, so continued good luck to you, and may ALL drivers see you coming! Think once, Think twice, Think BIKE!

Thank Post
    Lost two mates to bike accidents so I know where you are coming from there.

Thank Post
    Bet your fun at parties eldergeek.

I've only ever used the ignore option once on Edugeek however, on it goes - I suggest you do the same on my ID as it's clear you don't really have much to do than pick at people's postings. As for the rest of the insults eldergeek - typical coming from someone hiding behind a keyboard. Never mind eh ? Back to the party......
    I really don't care what you think I'm like at parties, to be honest, nor do I care if you won't see this reply, it'll be made public, and no doubt show up in Google for eons to come ... http://alturl.com/jnvgw

Hide behind the 'ignore' button if you must, I'm certainly not hiding behind a keyboard. I'd say the exact same thing to your face as I have typed in this forum. PM me, and I'll provide my full, personal contact details, if you like? Then we can discuss this face to face, that is if you feel my sentiments are only being made from the supposed comfort of anonymity?

As for the insults, what insults?

These so called insults are my personal observations of how you have conducted yourself in this thread. You do display an air of arrogance - and I do consider your integrity to be questionable in light of that - if that is 'insulting you', guilty as charged. Report me to a mod or admin if you don't like it.

Furthermore, I have not 'picked' on anyone's postings.

I firstly gave an opinion, and then asked you a perfectly civil question. You then chose to take the path of belittlement. But of course, it's all too easy to say I'm the troll isn't it!

Duly noted you have still failed to answer the question I put to you.

You post a video of you riding a motorbike without consideration of not only other road users, but also of road law and don't expect anyone to question your 'style' of riding or illegal manoeuvres?

To coin a phrase, "get a grip".
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 3rd June 2011 at 01:00 PM.

Thank Post
    He mad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast