+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CPLTD You think? You should have seen the answer I really wanted to give. Eldergeek ladies and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    You think? You should have seen the answer I really wanted to give.
    Eldergeek ladies and gentlemen: Case and point.

Joe
    Whatever you may think theeldergeek has some valid points, and the whole attitude of "that's how lots of other people do it" that some folk on the roads have just makes the problem worse. Whilst some may have an issue with either his or Mattx's way of expressing things, I do agree with that the lax attitude by many road users is still way too dangerous. If you feel that theeldergeek is getting personal (as some stuff tends to get in these heated threads) then take it to a Mod or admin. To come out and say "Case and point" as if that justifies any feelings towards him or others who express a wish for safer roads and how lax and dangerous use of the roads ... sorry mate ... it belittles any argument that you could further make.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey, don't pick on all of us car drivers. I drive a car (been meaning to get a bike too) and am impressed with the camera for that kind of money.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th May 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    @GrumbleDook thank you, you said what I was trying to say much more lucidly than I managed to.

@synaesthesia I am intrigued as to what pedestrians do to enrage you so much...round here there seems to be more of a problem with road users (motorized or not and 2 or more wheels) virtually ignoring crossings...they either do not stop to let people cross or they try to chop their heels off by not waiting for them to cross...

@CPLTD I am afraid I would say that a driver who is
    hesitant or nervous whislt in control of a vehicle
    would not qualify as 'safe' in my book, rather they are as dangerous as an overly confident one...and if the two meet each other then there is great potential for nastiness to ensue.

Finally, if any of my comments/opinions were taken by anyone as personal attacks then I apologize unreservedly, they were not meant that way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cesil: the point is that *people* in general are dangerous items, whether they're on foot, 2, 3 or 4 wheels. Pedestrians don't annoy me any more than anything else, after all I am one for a large majority of the time. People who don't watch where they are going, people who have some strange belief that a zebra crossing gives them right of way etc are just a few. Like I said in an earlier post, cyclists in Cambridge are easily some of the worst users of the public highways I've ever seen - putting lives at risk well other than their own.

Whatever you do these days, care MUST be taken. As said, it's a free for all out there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I've always like the idea of riding a motorbike. I may look into it. What's the rough startup cost these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Interested to know myself!
    With all the Mat bashing (some of which he duly deserved) this question hasn't been answered. I'll see what I can do.

Theory test - £31 Click for practice tests. 46 and 50 out of 50 with no reading up
    Compulsory Basic Training CBT - I paid £95
    Direct Access, Module 1&2 tests - £350 (again, my trainer's price <smug> based on how pleased he was with my 25 year old riding yesterday </smug>
    Helmet - £40-100 basic to £££HOW MUCH!!??
    Gloves - sort of £30 again
    Leathers - £21 (ebay for the win!) New fabric stuff would be in the order £200+
    Boots - Dunno yet, shopping Tuesday. May stick to my Dockies for a bit.
    Bike - I'm amazed at the choice of second hand bikes in the 500-750 size range that can be bought for £1-3k.

I'm floundering about with all the new bike types. FZ thisis and thats... Any recommendations? I'd like:-
    Touring/commuting - summer / fair weather mainly
    Hard luggage friendly if not fitted
    500-750ish
    Not too forward leaning posture
    Faired? Probably
    Maybe a bit out of the ordinary - Trident? BMW? Suzuki Hayabusa - No thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    people who have some strange belief that a zebra crossing gives them right of way
    Umm... It does. Once they step onto it, they DO have right of way. Sect 195 Highway code, and Law referred to.

Oh, and I'm totally with you on Cambridge!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Umm... It does. Once they step onto it, they DO have right of way. Sect 195 Highway code, and Law referred to.
    But until they *DO* step on it then they don't have any right of way unless it is supported by other signals. However, it is a hazard and all vehicles should slow down when approaching to the point that should a pedestrian (or cyclist pushing their bicycle ... but that is another story) step into the road then the vehicle can stop in a safe manner. The suggested action is to give way to any such hazard, but it is not a requirement. However, should a pedestrian (or other person crossing the zebra crossing) be struck by a vehicle it is up to the person in control of the vehicle to show they took appropriate action to avoid the hazard (and so begins discussions about why certain witnesses will be regarded as having more weight in such cases, innocent until proven guilty and then fraudelent crimes of self-inflicting injuries by running in front of vehicles ...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    it belittles any argument that you could further make.
    Nice touch Tone, sadly you're missing the point. Mine wasn't an argument, unlike others I have an opinion that I can apply without the need for trolling/petty arguments.

My point was merely that those reading into this thread as if bestowed with the authority and holiness of the Pope's personal chauffeur should as I said...get a grip/potting shed/head height mirror to speak in a patronising tone to (save yourselves the carpal tunnel)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I took an "awareness perception course" circa 9 years ago after causing a particularly nasty accident near Kettering where I t-boned someone at 60mph.
    I got bonus points on an exercise to watch a video and point out the hazards, simply by pointing out that everything is a hazard or an accident waiting to happen.

And re the zebra crossing comments : yes indeed, they only have right of way once they step onto the road, which is exactly the same if they're not at a zebra crossing. The crossing is just a visual marker. It annoys me how few people seem to be unaware of that as they wander straight over, phone clamped to one ear and staring at their mate on the other side of the road.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    near Kettering .
    Great shout, the 'Khetto' is home to some of the most infuriating lemming-esque pedestrians known to man. Even with zebra crossings and traffic lights every 10 yards they'd much sooner swagger across busy roads. Its a wonder Jeremy Kyle has any audience members left.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was in the first batch to take the written test and for it to be used as part of passing your test (previous civilian tests were not used as the wrong papers were sent out). We didn't have a hazard perception test then so once we had passed the practical we then spent 2 weeks of driver training to take us to advanced level. Vocalising every single hazard, justifying your every decision, then discussing what you would do to take out other vehicles is an eye opener. If people have never taken a hazard perception test (done 2 volountarily in recent years) then I would say it is a must.

Things will still go wrong ... people will still hit into one another ... and sometimes there is no fault which can be put on one side or another. A blown out tyre, a patch of oil, a collapsed culvert ... awareness of possible hazards can and does make your reaction to these more likely to reduce the chances of serious injury or worse. Most people look at speed restrictions purely as a way of stopping collisions ... as mentioned on other similar threads, it is also designed to reduce how badly things can go.

Let's not forget, though, that confidence is a significant factor in how well people react to hazards. There is no denying that Mattx has confidence, as do many bikers / drivers / cyclists / etc ... but there is such a thing as too much confidence ... and that is also dangerous.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Great shout, the 'Khetto' is home to some of the most infuriating lemming-esque pedestrians known to man. Even with zebra crossings and traffic lights every 10 yards they'd much sooner swagger across busy roads. Its a wonder Jeremy Kyle has any audience members left.
    The new bus stops are a flaming nightmare. I avoid going anywhere near it now after having buses pull out with no signalling, pedestrians running across the road and cars braking suddenly as they don't know where they can drive anymore. A pain in the neck when trying to pick up a Chinese from Lee Garden on a friday night.

Thank Post
    Theory test - £31 Click for practice tests. 46 and 50 out of 50 with no reading up
    I just tried these but I am not going to tell you my scores in case I am accused of being holier than thou or offered a job driving the Pope

Thank Post
    Think Bike, Think Biker..... I love them goals on the road.. .12 bikers killed in the past 2 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    There is no denying that Mattx has confidence
    There is no point in being a biker if you don't. I understand where the limits are of my bike and riding skills are which is important - I've been doing it for almost 25 years now.

I say to any of you who don't like my style of riding - NOT MY PROBLEM. Go and be a Monaco steward, you will fit in perfectly there......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast