+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; I had a diesel Maestro for towing my boat trailer and it was excellent....

Thank Post
    I had a diesel Maestro for towing my boat trailer and it was excellent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry folks..I have to jump on this one:

Only ever had the pleasure of riding bikes in Thailand, rode around like an absolute madman on some of the craziest roads ever...no harm done.
    If bikers/Matt want to ride around in a way that upsets some (albeit easily upset) folk....fair play to him..after all how many bikers have caused real harm to car drivers/passengers?

Emotional damage maybe, a foolish rider getting turned into pavement pizza in front of the general public. The point remains the same, we're all responsible for our actions on the road, bike or otherwise.
    I'll take a ride with a maniac I can trust, sooner than a 'safe' driver that's hesitant or nervous whislt in control of a vehicle.

And as for the way the thread has spiralled off, some folk on this forum seriously need to get a grip...or a hobby.

Fair play Matt, oh and the Breathe remix on the video is gnarly.

Joe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Thanks - that's the biggest laugh you have given me all day. I've been rather busy and whilst overtaking cars on the way home I just could not stop laughing to myself. Brilliant - thanks. You certainly know how to make people laugh.
    Very mature; pitifully arrogant off the road too.

For the record, I have nothing against bikers per se, in fact quite the opposite. I gave up riding a motor bike due to the carelessness of car drivers.

Your 'style' of riding is commonplace, but I detest the arrogance of you thinking you can do what you want just because you can. I think you should grow up and be a little bit more responsible to not only other road users, but yourself.

Other road users might not expect you to be overtaking on a zebra crossing, or the wrong side of a 'keep left' sign when they do something they shouldn't. A large powerful motorbike could easily kill someone in a small car, as could a motorcycle rider crashing through a windscreen. Of course, I suppose you've "never had an accident", which you will use as an attempt to somehow justify matters.

Still, as you clearly aren't going to answer the question I posed, I can only surmise you know you are in the wrong, but being as you display an air of arrogance about the whole thing, it's hardly surprising your response is an attempt at mockery. It's the easiest option for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Sorry folks..I have to jump on this one:

Only ever had the pleasure of riding bikes in Thailand, rode around like an absolute madman on some of the craziest roads ever...no harm done.
    If bikers/Matt want to ride around in a way that upsets some (albeit easily upset) folk....fair play to him..after all how many bikers have caused real harm to car drivers/passengers?

Emotional damage maybe, a foolish rider getting turned into pavement pizza in front of the general public. The point remains the same, we're all responsible for our actions on the road, bike or otherwise.
    I'll take a ride with a maniac I can trust, sooner than a 'safe' driver that's hesitant or nervous whislt in control of a vehicle.

And as for the way the thread has spiralled off, some folk on this forum seriously need to get a grip...or a hobby.

Fair play Matt, oh and the Breathe remix on the video is gnarly.

Joe
    It is worrying that some of you are supposedly responsible adults working with impressionable young people, and you have attitudes like that.

I don't actually care if you kill yourself riding a bike like a maniac, but I do care if you kill or injure an otherwise innocent road user, in the EXACT same way I have sentiments about car drivers doing the same.

Your answer about "getting a grip" is an all too an easy answer to give. Is it because you don't actually have anything to bring to the discussion that is of any value?

The roads are not playgrounds for your personal lunacy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Bet your fun at parties eldergeek.

I've only ever used the ignore option once on Edugeek however, on it goes - I suggest you do the same on my ID as it's clear you don't really have much to do than pick at people's postings. As for the rest of the insults eldergeek - typical coming from someone hiding behind a keyboard. Never mind eh ? Back to the party......
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Very mature; pitifully arrogant off the road too.

For the record, I have nothing against bikers per se, in fact quite the opposite. I gave up riding a motor bike due to the carelessness of car drivers.

Your 'style' of riding is commonplace, but I detest the arrogance of you thinking you can do what you want just because you can. I think you should grow up and be a little bit more responsible to not only other road users, but yourself.

Other road users might not expect you to be overtaking on a zebra crossing, or the wrong side of a 'keep left' sign when they do something they shouldn't. A large powerful motorbike could easily kill someone in a small car, as could a motorcycle rider crashing through a windscreen. Of course, I suppose you've "never had an accident", which you will use as an attempt to somehow justify matters.

Still, as you clearly aren't going to answer the question I posed, I can only surmise you know you are in the wrong, but being as you display an air of arrogance about the whole thing, it's hardly surprising your response is an attempt at mockery. It's the easiest option for you.
    Last edited by mattx; 28th May 2011 at 11:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    but I do care if you kill or injure an otherwise innocent road user, in the EXACT same way I have sentiments about car drivers doing the same.

Not to add fuel to the blazing fire figuratively speaking but

I agree with the first part as although not people I have had and have known of pets ( more so dogs ) to get run over and it has the same effect as if you ran over or crashed into a person or people, the vehicle will always win as far as doing more damage vs the body whether human or otherwise.

I left the last bit of your quote in there as I can just imagine sean Connery saying that lol

Thank Post
    Matt, I once posted a video of my 4 year old grandson going down a BMX start slope and taking off at the bottom. We really hadn't expected him to do it but the flack I took because he wasn't wearing helmet! I removed the video. Now he's five and progressed a bit. I hope I am safe in posting this because he is wearing all the gear.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have crazy golf.... I'm jealous.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Wow - I bet your Grandson loves that. He is really confident on that bike too. Fantastic. I'm taking my two kids Karting soon and will stick the camera on one of the Karts if they let me.
    Try and get them a bit of road / driving sense whilst they are young is always a good idea in my book.

Thank Post
    Try and get them a bit of road / driving sense whilst they are young is always a good idea in my book
    Just show them your video Matt, that's all the training they need

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    You have crazy golf.... I'm jealous.
    It's not ours. It's across the road from our place in Portugal and not used in the winter (well not for golf!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah well, never mind. "Our place in Portugal" is enough to make up for lack of Crazy Golf

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As for bikers not killing people, they do. Pedestrians and Cyclists, cars having to swerve to avoid bikers taking risks, other bikers who are egged on to take more risks.

I'm not saying bikers are the only people in this situation ... so are cyclists ... and car drivers ... and white van man.

I still stick by some simple rules involving of taking care of *everyone* on the road. Don't take any risks, even calculated ones, unless you really have to (to avoid accidents, etc). Getting to your destination at all is more important that getting to the destination fast. You don't own the road, we all do. There will always be idiots on the road ... don't let them force you to change your careful driving / riding style. Drive / Ride defensively ... every vehicle or person on the road is capable of creating an accident / incident ... be aware of this and take care.

It is not rocket science ... it involves the idea of personal responsibility for others and just because some people on the road don't care about others it doesn't mean you should lower your standards.

And yes ... I know this comes across as 'holier than though' and I am not saying that I perfectly stick to it all the time (we are all human ... well ... nearly all of us) but is it such a bad attitude to take?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Use of the public highways regardless of the vehicles/footwear involved is pretty much a free-for-all these days, so care is certainly needed at all points. Some things are more dangerous than others, like biking as there's more speed, more agility and more openness (no tin lid). Doesn't mean it's a reason to be a plank though!

Grinds me though about cycling on pavements - I often think I'm alone when thinking they are FAR safer on pavements than on roads. It's outright truth, casualties on pavements vs on road is far, far, far lower, even taking into consideration some roads have cycle paths and pavements are entirely dissallowed.
    People in general (pedestrians) often have Gods Gift for wandering around thoughtlessly. The amount of times I've shouted at people at zebra crossings to try reading the highway code because they've clearly never heard of it or the rules therein is just daft

Bring on hover-cars and/or teleportation. At least then we only have scotty to blame for scrambling our molecules in transit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your answer about "getting a grip" is an all too an easy answer to give.
    You think? You should have seen the answer I really wanted to give.
    Eldergeek ladies and gentlemen: Case and point.

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast