+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by TechMonkey As long as there is nothing happening ahead to cause the traffic to stop (which comes ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    As long as there is nothing happening ahead to cause the traffic to stop (which comes back to the issue of bikes being higher up so have a better view of the road) then there is no reason not to come into that gap, which is why I also said a biker should do it safely. Otherwise what would people on multiple carriage ways move into when needing to get over to the left?
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It is. That's what gaps in traffic are for - The considerate car drivers are leaving gaps for motorcyles to filter into . Its the truth,
    No, you are still wrong here. It is not up to you to judge how safe it is for you to infringe on the safety of someone else in their car. Basically, you are saying that on the road, a biker is a better judge of traffic conditions to a car driver, who knows their car, than they are.

More things are taken into account than 'the view of the road ahead' when driving safely. You don't know if that person's car is fully up to spec, or if the car in front has been driving weirdly, so the car behind is driving further away to be sure they're safe, or the random wheel that flies off a car ahead and causes the car in front to slam on its breaks...

A car moving over in a lane is supposed to indicate, and look for an opening, not just a gap big enough for them to fit into. Cars in the lane they're moving into are supposed to allow them in by opening up a gap for them, not just by letting them into the safety buffer between them and the vehicle in front!

But my understanding of those bollards are they are informational anyway, the law says that all vehicles must move over to the left when approaching an oncoming vehicle. So as far as I am aware (happy to be proved wrong) you can pass on the right if it is safe to do so. They are more a warning that there is something in the road. The issue of weaving depends on what bit you are talking about, just bunny hopping cars or going nearside/offside?
    Section 36 RTA 88: Fail to conform to a Traffic sign.
    Last edited by localzuk; 18th October 2011 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, you are still wrong here. It is not up to you to judge how safe it is for you to infringe on the safety of someone else in their car. Basically, you are saying that on the road, a biker is a better judge of traffic conditions to a car driver, who knows their car, than they are.

More things are taken into account than 'the view of the road ahead' when driving safely. You don't know if that person's car is fully up to spec, or if the car in front has been driving weirdly, so the car behind is driving further away to be sure their safe, or the random wheel that flies off a car ahead and causes the car in front to slam on its breaks...

A car moving over in a lane is supposed to indicate, and look for an opening, not just a gap big enough for them to fit into. Cars in the lane they're moving into are supposed to allow them in by opening up a gap for them, not just by letting them into the safety buffer between them and the vehicle in front!
    I'd better relearn it all then.

Thank Post
    But my understanding of those bollards are they are informational anyway, the law says that all vehicles must move over to the left when approaching an oncoming vehicle.
    My understanding is that a blue sign with a white arrow on it is an instruction rather than information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

More things are taken into account than 'the view of the road ahead' when driving safely. You don't know if that person's car is fully up to spec, or if the car in front has been driving weirdly, so the car behind is driving further away to be sure they're safe, or the random wheel that flies off a car ahead and causes the car in front to slam on its breaks...

Section 36 RTA 88: Fail to conform to a Traffic sign.
    I which case none of us had better leave the house as it all seems much to dangerous to leave our safe little bubble! If someone's car is so unsafe that no one can be trusted to be near it it should not be on the road. I don't know if someone's car is up to spec but I doubt they do either & if they do they should be leaving even more of a gap and be driving even more cautiously. If a wheel were to fly off then that is bad maintenance or failure and the biker would have deal with it where ever they are. We may as well say that all cars should stay still as a cargo plane could disintegrate above them and a circus elephant could be dropped from above. The biker will take the information they can perceive and use it as they see fit. So should everyone else which does not include speeding up and blocking bikers, or moving over to try and prevent them.

In fact moving from right to left lane a car does not HAVE to indicate (as told me by a traffic cop) as drivers should not be undertaking & should be ready to give way if they need to move over. It is generally considered a Good Idea(tm). I see no difference though between allowing a car room to move in if they are moving from a side lane or if they are overtaking unless you are a of a persuasion to not let anyone get infront of them for fear their manliness will be tarnished.

Most councils are dropping them as they are pointless & replicate standard law. Yes that act can be used to enforce them but there is nothing to back up the use of the sign. You can not stipulate where to be on the road except for on the left hand side of the road when approached by oncoming traffic. But as I haven't been quoting that as a pristine bit of riding that is getting away from my point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only thing that REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS about bikers is.............

I'll be driving along, generally on country lanes, and a biker will come up behind me. As soon as I can, I like to move over to the left hand side of my lane so that he/she can get past. In a vast majority of cases, you get a little wave of the hand to show appreciation.....The ones that just speed off? They're the problem!!!

*Sits back with a grin as he's started another in-topic row.....probably!!!*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I cyclist I find that anyone other than a Car has to fight for their lives/Road space. The thing drivers forget is that most accidents for them will be a bit of scratched paint work but for other road user it is a broken body!!

Thank Post
    I promised myself I would not get involved again...but...
    In fact moving from right to left lane a car does not HAVE to indicate (as told me by a traffic cop) as drivers should not be undertaking & should be ready to give way if they need to move over. It is generally considered a Good Idea(tm). I see no difference though between allowing a car room to move in if they are moving from a side lane or if they are overtaking unless you are a of a persuasion to not let anyone get infront of them for fear their manliness will be tarnished.
    From the Highway Code
    Lane discipline

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.
    Personally I will always give another road user room to pull in...and I would prefer that they gave me a clue that they are going to do so by using their indicators...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Thought I would let you all know that I rode like a complete maniac on the way home this evening. Cutting up cars, knocking over pedestrians, riding on the pavement, sticking fingers up at the police whilst using my mobile phone and drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    Cheers !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Thought I would let you all know that I rode like a complete maniac on the way home this evening. Cutting up cars, knocking over pedestrians, riding on the pavement, sticking fingers up at the police whilst using my mobile phone and drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    Cheers !!
    No wheelies?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    No wheelies?
    Big difficult that whilst riding making a phone call.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It is. That's what gaps in traffic are for - The considerate car drivers are leaving gaps for motorcyles to filter into . Its the truth,
    That could also be looked at as inconsiderate for everyone else and enabling behaviour that may not be safe. (I'm not making any judgements as to what that is)

Thank Post
    Cheers !!
    Arf arf. I actually drove home extremely carefully as I knew if I were to have an accident then fate would make it happen after being in a discussion about riding safely & it would inevitably get back on here what happened

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    That could also be looked at as inconsiderate for everyone else and enabling behaviour that may not be safe. (I'm not making any judgements as to what that is)
    I think 9/10 car drivers are really quite considerate of motorcyclists. If they see me, most move over and get a little wave in return. I'll only be in the gap for 30sec or so then move onto the next gap and I think most car drivers realise this is how it works. Filtering is an accepted riding technique, I've ridden with I.A.M and police motorcyclists and it's really not a problem if done safely.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cheers !!
    Sp that's why you ended up going home via Blackpool......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers !!
    No no, you're getting confused. That's expected of BMW car drivers, not bike riders. Get it right next time, okay?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread