+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CyberNerd hey - my bike IS a BMW !!!! Sorry....but that's you in for a double dose ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    hey - my bike IS a BMW !!!!
    Sorry....but that's you in for a double dose then!!!!!

Not only that, but bikes generally have a better view of the road ahead due to positioning - as we have more road to play with it is much easier seeing around a (left-hand) corner by by moving to the right hand side of the road and vice versa. From behind a car, if I sit about a metre or so to the right of the car drive, I can see hazards infront of that car that a car driver wouldn't be able to see.
    This was my point, entirely! Thank you for re-enforcing it!

By the way....my previous couple of posts WERE meant to be taken a slightly tongue-in-cheek, for those that didn't realise!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hey - my bike IS a BMW !!!!
    Ouch, be careful admitting that, given the current threads trend someone we be along shortly to threaten to shoot you into the sun

Thank Post
    I'd knock bikers off in my car if they acted like this on the road
    doesn't give you the right to treat the road like you own it
    I think the contrast between these 2 statements need highlighting.

I'd love to know how when riding within the limits of the conditions and of your self and keeping with in traffic laws you are being a danger & putting others lives at risk. This generally only happens when someone else does something stupid (which most bikers take into consideration), isn't following the laws or riding the conditions themselves, or some petty individual decides that someone shouldn't progress more than they can, even if it wouldn't inconvenience them or cause them any grief. Examples are not leaving a good enough gap between cars, either while travelling or while stop in a jam, phone use, shifting over to block a bike coming through or speeding up to try and stop a bike moving in.

Thank Post
    Not only that, but bikes generally have a better view of the road ahead due to positioning - as we have more road to play with it is much easier seeing around a (left-hand) corner by by moving to the right hand side of the road and vice versa. From behind a car, if I sit about a metre or so to the right of the car drive, I can see hazards infront of that car that a car driver wouldn't be able to see.
    URGGGHHHHH, & this is really bugging me at the moment, especially with the wet mornings floating all the diesel. Why do so many car drivers seem to be unable to stay on their side of the road all of a suddenly? I shift over to the right hand side to get a better view of a left hand bend & nearly get my tyre run over by someone either trying to be a rally star or just unable to turn corners!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Examples are not leaving a good enough gap between cars, either while travelling or while stop in a jam
    Hold on! We're supposed to leave safe stopping distance + bike space at all times? Surely that would double the length of any traffic jam?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Hold on! We're supposed to leave safe stopping distance + bike space at all times? Surely that would double the length of any traffic jam?
    & where did I say that? When stopped you should leave space between cars any way, to stop shunting if an accident happens at the back & to allow you to move in case of emergency. If you stop nose to tail you are buggered if anything happens. While actually travelling you should leave the stopping distance plus a safety margin. Most cars doing this would be nice full stop.

From a bike point of view (this will cause fury, rage and a lot of discussion but bear with it) this is a distance is a safe gap to move into sensibly, allowing the car that has just been overtaken to slow down slightly without breaking hard or causing issues. The bike will more than likely only be there a short while when it will move on. If this gap is too small as some eejit is tailgating or just being an arse firstly the biker would probably think twice but it means is they do slot into that gap the car behind WILL have to brake.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From a bike point of view (this will cause fury, rage and a lot of discussion but bear with it) this is a distance is a safe gap to move into sensibly, allowing the car that has just been overtaken to slow down slightly without breaking hard or causing issues. The bike will more than likely only be there a short while when it will move on. If this gap is too small as some eejit is tailgating or just being an arse firstly the biker would probably think twice but it means is they do slot into that gap the car behind WILL have to brake.
    No, this isn't a safe gap - it is the stopping gap for the car!! That gap is not there for bikes to decide to slip into when its convenient for them.

Thank Post
    I think the contrast between these 2 statements need highlighting.

I'd love to know how when riding within the limits of the conditions and of your self and keeping with in traffic laws you are being a danger & putting others lives at risk. This generally only happens when someone else does something stupid (which most bikers take into consideration), isn't following the laws or riding the conditions themselves, or some petty individual decides that someone shouldn't progress more than they can, even if it wouldn't inconvenience them or cause them any grief. Examples are not leaving a good enough gap between cars, either while travelling or while stop in a jam, phone use, shifting over to block a bike coming through or speeding up to try and stop a bike moving in.
    So, in the original video, the bike weaving in and out and riding the wrong side of the bollards is in keeping with the traffic laws??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    So, in the original video, the bike weaving in and out and riding the wrong side of the bollards is in keeping with the traffic laws??
    And so we come full circle!

Thank Post
    Lol ... inevitable really

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok.....so shall we see, this time, if we can take longer than another 13 pages to go full circle???

Who's up for that?

Rules are : You can't repeat yourself, but must try to get back to original post!!!

Thank Post
    Rules are : You can't repeat yourself, but must try to get back to original post!!!
    Can you take bollards on the wrong side?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel I must take this as an opportunity to applaud the multitasking skills of young ladies who can both drive and text message at the same time.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    I was replying to RageRiot who was making sweeping statements about bikers. If Mattx was knocked off his bike while going around these bollards he would be in the wrong. But my understanding of those bollards are they are informational anyway, the law says that all vehicles must move over to the left when approaching an oncoming vehicle. So as far as I am aware (happy to be proved wrong) you can pass on the right if it is safe to do so. They are more a warning that there is something in the road. The issue of weaving depends on what bit you are talking about, just bunny hopping cars or going nearside/offside?

No, this isn't a safe gap - it is the stopping gap for the car!! That gap is not there for bikes to decide to slip into when its convenient for them.
    As long as there is nothing happening ahead to cause the traffic to stop (which comes back to the issue of bikes being higher up so have a better view of the road) then there is no reason not to come into that gap, which is why I also said a biker should do it safely. Otherwise what would people on multiple carriage ways move into when needing to get over to the left?

You also have to bear in mind drivers are meant to give way to traffic from the right, so as to stop people closing up trapping them out in other lanes. Add to that drivers should be aware of what is going on around them so a bike should never surprise them, they'll have seen it coming up and be prepared to act safely.

I would say it all comes down to whether people see travelling by road is a battle, to beat everyone else on the road, be first and give up no ground or as a means of transport to get somewhere with as few issues as possible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It is. That's what gaps in traffic are for - The considerate car drivers are leaving gaps for motorcyles to filter into . Its the truth,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread