+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, My ride home from work..... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook To come out and say "Case and point" as if that justifies any feelings towards him ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To come out and say "Case and point" as if that justifies any feelings towards him or others who express a wish for safer roads and how lax and dangerous use of the roads ... sorry mate ... it belittles any argument that you could further make.
    Totally agree.

I can't help noting that those who are apparently in favour of lax safety of the roads rarely have any sort of argument to justify it other than "I know my limits".

As I understand it, given that overtaking stationery vehicles is prohibited on zig-zags, bikers 'filtering' could be seen in the same view; whatever the case, certainly passing the lead vehicle on a zig-zagged area leading up to a crossing is a definite no-no. It is this arrogance demonstrated by 'can do' bikers at the expense of road safety in general that I question.

Thank Post
    Can I commend, with no sense of censure, chapter one of this book? Please read it, or re-read it if you did in the dim and distant past. My second reading, coming back to biking.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can't help noting that a short film about the quality of video has turned into an all-out war between those who accept Mattx's style of riding, and those who don't.

I've been driving for long enough to accept that bikers have a certain style of riding. Some are obviously better than others.

I think that the safest way of driving/riding would be to take into account ALL the conditions....road, weather, traffic, etc etc....and there is nothing in this video that suggests that he was NOT doing that.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am NOT a biker, but try to keep a very close eye out for them. You never know when one will come up behind you, without you noticing. However, is Mattx's riding any worse than the old man who poottles along at 20 miles an hour? Or the nervous driver doing 40 on a motorway?

NO.....

And the answer would be that in both those cases, the driver is not paying attention to what is going on around him/her.

The "holier-than-thou" attitude displayed by some members of this board seems to be almost totally out of character, but I believe it is misplaced.

Maybe (if he can remember what was going through his mind) Mattx could re-edit the video to include a commentary, to describe his thoughts through each part? Would that satisfy the nay-sayers? Or just give them more ammo to shoot at him?

Still, I think there's nothing better than getting an acknowledgement from a biker, cos they realise that you have seen them, and are looking out for them....They are amongst the politest road-users, and also the rudest, if you get it wrong!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 3rd June 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That's the problem. Racers have some incredible protection and can come off at 100mph or more, slide into the gravel and be unhurt. But they aren't then taken out by a juggernaut. There's just too much unfair competition on UK roads for my liking.
    Oz advert is the best I've seen to highlight this.

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am NOT a biker, but try to keep a very close eye out for them. You never know when one will come up behind you, without you noticing. However, is Mattx's riding any worse than the old man who poottles along at 20 miles an hour? Or the nervous driver doing 40 on a motorway?

NO.....
    First thank you for being aware. You would be surprised how many do not even think to look for anything other than cars. & things like, yes it isn't a God given or law given right to filter past queues of traffic but it is jolly polite to shift over so bikes can pass safely. Ii is not polite to shift over to block that bike you may have noticed, ignore them completely or not notice them.

As for which is more dangerous, I would say your other 2 examples are more dangerous than mattx as they are either unaware of the problem they are causing or expect others to deal with it. Mattx is proactive and can see the issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    First thank you for being aware. You would be surprised how many do not even think to look for anything other than cars. & things like, yes it isn't a God given or law given right to filter past queues of traffic but it is jolly polite to shift over so bikes can pass safely. Ii is not polite to shift over to block that bike you may have noticed, ignore them completely or not notice them.

As for which is more dangerous, I would say your other 2 examples are more dangerous than mattx as they are either unaware of the problem they are causing or expect others to deal with it. Mattx is proactive and can see the issues.
    Definitely the point I'm trying to get across.

From the video, and a non-riders perspective, even I can see that Mattx HAS to have been sat fairly upright for most of that, and watching the road ahead with great care.

Too many drivers think that bikers are a nuisance on the road, and I have seen drivers pull over so a bike cannot get past. Yet, that is exactly what some of the posters on here seem to be like. It would not surprise me to know that these posters would do that, in a "If I'm going nowhere, I'll make damn sure that bloke/girl on the bike aint going anywhere either"

To many selfish drivers on the road.

*EDIT* And that IS a fabulous advert!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Too many drivers think that bikers are a nuisance on the road, and I have seen drivers pull over so a bike cannot get past. Yet, that is exactly what some of the posters on here seem to be like. It would not surprise me to know that these posters would do that, in a "If I'm going nowhere, I'll make damn sure that bloke/girl on the bike aint going anywhere either"
    Why? Why would you assume that just because Mattx does not obey the law so does anyone who takes offence at his "style" of riding. It makes no sense.
    And as for the jealousy part - my drive home from work takes less than Mattxs even though I obey the law (most of the time*).

Yes I've been known to speed, but then I wouldn't post a video of me doing it on the internet, and I certainly wouldn't moan about it when someone picked me up on it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Why? Why would you assume that just because Mattx does not obey the law so does anyone who takes offence at his "style" of riding. It makes no sense.
    I'm struggling to catch the meaning of that first part....THAT is what makes no sense....Perhaps a read-back before you post? You seem to be saying that "just because Mattx does not obey the law so does anyone who takes offence at his "style" of riding"...To be honest, I cannot make head nor tail of what you are trying to argue here. Please ascertain what you mean, and post again.

And as for the jealousy part - my drive home from work takes less than Mattxs even though I obey the law (most of the time*).
    My drive home takes roughly the same amount of time as Mattx, and neither do I speed...Country lanes tend to make you a more peaceful driver...Less traffic on the road. And yet, I CAN see the validity of what he was doing. Can you tell from the video what speeds he was doing? Are you that good with visual speed estimation? Did you happen to notice any of the speed signs? How do you know he WAS speeding?

Yes I've been known to speed, but then I wouldn't post a video of me doing it on the internet, and I certainly wouldn't moan about it when someone picked me up on it.
    I draw you all back to one of my first points....A video designed to show the camera, and how good it was for how little money.

It is quite sad that instead of being a polite and easy conversation about the differences between cameras, and which could be best value for money, it has descended into a farce of name-calling and bitchiness.

And that will be my last word on the matter!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Seems like a lot of argueing over a cheap camera ( ignoring what was being filmed ) - 10 pages counting, seems a bit OTT / daft to me to argue over someone elses driving and or camera - end of the day its mattx's driving and if he is obeying or dis-obeying the law then it will be him that pays the consequences whether its a fine, coming short ie crashing or whatever

I am not saying he is or isn't obeying the law but just my $0.02 ref being silly argueing over it considering the whole point of this thread was to show what a bargain the camera was and how good / bad it is

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    May I refer you to this classic comic by xkcd

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    May I refer you to this classic comic by xkcd

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
    Excellent - loving it !!!

Thank Post
    I promised myself that I was going to keep away from this thread...but...

However, is Mattx's riding any worse than the old man who poottles along at 20 miles an hour? Or the nervous driver doing 40 on a motorway?
    No, it is no worse, but it is just as bad...and if they post a video on here of them doing those things then I will comment on them too...

...and on the subject of speed limits...matt did seem to go from a 40 zone to a 30 without any noticeable change of speed...the superb quality of the video made it fairly easy to judge that...

...oh and he did overtake cars in 30 zones and if they are anything like the drivers around here then they were unlikely to be doing much less than 35 to 40...

I am so going to regret posting this...just shows the dangers of surfing and drinking...now I must make sure I keep off eBay tonight, that Snap-on tool item looked very tempting...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    I think that is probably enough now - please go back to the original reason for this thread - the camera -and can we have no more arguments about who did what, who hates whom and who drives best!
    And by the way, Grumbly old friend, it's
    'Holier than Thou'
    (well, gotta comment on something!) Mind you, I used to ride a motorbike too so I would have an opinion but I'm NOT going to state it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I used to ride a motorbike too so I would have an opinion but I'm NOT going to state it
    You've put ya foot in it now, have to share it with us now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aah Mattx, it wouldn't be the same without some sort of epic thread.

Soo, that camera any good at night for something like say, hedgehog watch? lol!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, if Mattx's little motorbiking video causes such vitriol I guess posting a little head-cam movie I took whilst driving in the West Bank might cause some people's heads to explode........

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast