+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Theme Tunes in Fun Stuff; Not forgetting those of us who achieved their childhood goal and actually became superheros ......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not forgetting those of us who achieved their childhood goal and actually became superheros ...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    They certainly make opening sequences (or themes) like they used to - in fact, they don't often make them at all.

It was a difficult choice, but:

Unfortunately there was usually more action in the title sequence than in your average episode. Whatever happened to the movie remake that was going to start filming a while back?

Though I am thinking of adopting this next one as my personal theme tune and refusing to enter any room without it being played to herald my arrival:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_Walsh View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Brilliant. I can still remember watching the very first episode back in 1974. I was 11. Jeez, now I feel old. Incidentally, I believe the crash in the title sequence is genuine footage from a crash involving a test aircraft although I may be wrong:

From Wikipedia - "The lifting body seen crashing in the opening sequence of the show is real footage of the loss of the Northrop M2-F2, though the sequence is misleading in that it shows both the M2-F2 crash and images of a different model, the Northrop HL-10, being released from its B-52 mothership. This continuity error is notable by the presence of the central fin and dihedral of the outer fins of the HL-10 at one point followed by the lack of a central fin and presence of the vertical outer fins indicative of the M2-F2 on the crash footage a few seconds later. The dialogue spoken by actor Lee Majors during the opening credits is reportedly based upon communication prior to the M2-F2 crash that occurred on May 10, 1967: (“Flight com, I can’t hold her! She’s breaking up! She’s breaking—”). Test pilot Bruce Peterson lost an eye due to infection following the crash, but likewise also miraculously survived what appeared to be a fatal accident even though his lifting body aircraft hit the ground at approximately 250 mph (400 km/h) and tumbled six times. Video of the craft in flight, and oscillating as in the intro, can be seen at NASA Dryden Flight Research Center website. The NASA website, however, does not offer the video of the crash itself, only still photos of the wrecked M2-F2. In the episode The Deadly Replay, Oscar Goldman refers to the lifting body aircraft in which Austin crashed as the "HL-10," stating "We've rebuilt the HL-10." In the 1987 TV film The Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman, Austin refers to the craft as the "M3-F5," which was the name used for the aircraft that crashed in the original Cyborg novel.)

In the opening sequence, a narrator (series producer Harve Bennett) identifies the protagonist, "Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive." Richard Anderson, in character as Oscar Goldman, then intones off-camera, "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster."[3] During the first season, beginning with The Six Million Dollar Man: "Population Zero," Anderson, as Goldman, intoned more simply, “We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”

Dusty Springfield, backed by Ron "Escalade" Piscina, sang the theme song written by Glen A. Larson and Stu Phillips, which was used in the opening and closing credits for the Wine, Women & War and The Solid Gold Kidnapping telefilms. The song was also used in the promotion of the series, but when the weekly series began the song was replaced by the instrumental theme. The first regular episode, "Population Zero," introduced a new element to the opening sequence: a voiceover of Oscar Goldman stating the rationale behind creating a bionic man. The first season narration was shorter than that used in the second and subsequent seasons....."
    Last edited by tech_guy; 24th May 2011 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Ahh, I forgot how dark this was, considering it was aimed at children!

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12