+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, On the spot fines for bad driving in Fun Stuff; Craziest place I have ever driven a hire car is Jerusalem back in 2005. Mental. They all drive like lunatics. ...
  1. #61

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Craziest place I have ever driven a hire car is Jerusalem back in 2005. Mental. They all drive like lunatics. Then to cap it all I had to drive through East Jerusalem and down the West Bank through loads of Israeli roadblocks and gangs of stone-throwing Palestinian kids. The hire company didn't bat an eyelid at the dents in the car when I returned it and I was amazed I didn't get charged.

  2. #62


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Anyone any ideas if with these powers the police will be able to do anything about this?

    Roundabout coming into our estate; 95% of people want to go straight on.
    The left hand lane is for straight on, so everyone queues up for a few hundred yard.
    But a fair few people drive up the right hand lane, go all the way round the roundabout and then push in to go straight on.

    Stupid thing is once you are past that roundabout its clean sailing, so one can only conclude the reason why there's queues is because of the people going up the right hand lane. They've left it that long that more and more people are thinking "well if everyone else does it...", so the problem is getting worse and worse.

  3. #63


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,577
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 853 Times in 732 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Roundabout coming into our estate; 95% of people want to go straight on.
    The left hand lane is for straight on, so everyone queues up for a few hundred yard.
    But a fair few people drive up the right hand lane, go all the way round the roundabout and then push in to go straight on.
    whats wrong with that? there is nothing to stop you doing that if you want exit 2 (assuming a 4 exit rb here) and lane 1 is full of people going to exit 1 why not go to exit 6? there is no reason to sit in a queue of cars

  4. #64

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,621
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 451 Times in 334 Posts
    Rep Power
    137
    They can't, don't, won't enforce the use of a mobile phone anymore so how do they intend to police any new regulations!

    Whilst waiting to pull out onto my local roundabout yesterday at least 50% of the drivers were chatting away with phones held to their ears!

    As if these additional rules will curb their disregard for the law.

    Only instant disqualifications will work.

    An on the spot 30 day ban with car impounded for drivers caught using mobiles whilst in motion.... Then see if we need to implement additional measures!

  5. #65


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    whats wrong with that? there is nothing to stop you doing that if you want exit 2 (assuming a 4 exit rb here) and lane 1 is full of people going to exit 1 why not go to exit 6? there is no reason to sit in a queue of cars
    No, everyone wants to leave on exit 2 so people queue. Then people drive up the right hand lane which is for exit 3, go right around the roundabout and exit on exit 2.

  6. #66

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,960
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 374 Times in 284 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    whats wrong with that?
    If you saw kids doing that in the lunch queue, you'd send them to the back! Legal? Yes
    . Socially responsible? No.

    What do you think would happen if everyone did it?

  7. #67

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,632
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    All of this should be a moot point - there's enough technology now to implement fully computer controlled cars, that drive you from A-B, can communicate with other cars, use radar and ladar to detect the road and obstacles, and use GPS (and soon, the new Galileo system) to pin point where you are.

    Just ban people from driving their own cars, put them in an auto-car, and voila, you reduce road deaths. Well, until the system blue-screens and kills every person in a car in the country...

  8. #68


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    All of this should be a moot point - there's enough technology now to implement fully computer controlled cars, that drive you from A-B, can communicate with other cars, use radar and ladar to detect the road and obstacles, and use GPS (and soon, the new Galileo system) to pin point where you are.

    Just ban people from driving their own cars, put them in an auto-car, and voila, you reduce road deaths. Well, until the system blue-screens and kills every person in a car in the country...
    Have you seen these new fangled cars that park themselves? On the advert for one of the small cars the parking space it goes into could literally fit a bus - I'd expect someone who couldn't drive to be able to give it a decent stab!

    Personally it will be a while before I trust a computer to park my car, never mind drive me around at 70mph!

  9. #69

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Have you seen these new fangled cars that park themselves? On the advert for one of the small cars the parking space it goes into could literally fit a bus - I'd expect someone who couldn't drive to be able to give it a decent stab!

    Personally it will be a while before I trust a computer to park my car, never mind drive me around at 70mph!
    i think its the new ford focus, as its advertised as having a LOT of technology in the car.


    the thing with computer controlled cars, it then means instead of boy racers passing you, its hackers who have got around the computer control and put their foot down.
    THE GEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH!

  10. #70

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,632
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Have you seen these new fangled cars that park themselves? On the advert for one of the small cars the parking space it goes into could literally fit a bus - I'd expect someone who couldn't drive to be able to give it a decent stab!

    Personally it will be a while before I trust a computer to park my car, never mind drive me around at 70mph!
    Oh, obviously we'd add robotic car parks too, like those in Japan. So, your car takes you where you want to go, drops you off, then drives to a robo-garage and parks itself. Then, when you want to go home, you message your car via your phone, so it knows where you are and it comes and gets you. Existing 'parking' would be a thing of the past.

  11. #71


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh, obviously we'd add robotic car parks too, like those in Japan. So, your car takes you where you want to go, drops you off, then drives to a robo-garage and parks itself. Then, when you want to go home, you message your car via your phone, so it knows where you are and it comes and gets you. Existing 'parking' would be a thing of the past.
    Robotic car parks! This I must see. Like the one on iRobot?

  12. #72

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,960
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 374 Times in 284 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Central London, near Victoria / Horticultural halls. You drive in, leave the windows down, and a robot picks the car up, and sticks it on a shelf somewhere. When you come back, you pay, and your car is recovered and delivered to you.

    Not quite Bender getting in and driving off, but getting there!

  13. #73

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,632
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Robotic car parks! This I must see. Like the one on iRobot?
    Yes very much like that, just not with cars hung up. Looks like Lisbon has got one too - YouTube - automated car parking for 150 cars.

  14. #74


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,577
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 853 Times in 732 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Central London, near Victoria / Horticultural halls. You drive in, leave the windows down, and a robot picks the car up, and sticks it on a shelf somewhere. When you come back, you pay, and your car is recovered and delivered to you.

    Not quite Bender getting in and driving off, but getting there!
    one in leeds as well oposite where we used to go for training quite fun watching it sort cars

    Google Maps

  15. #75

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,708
    Thank Post
    3,245
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Rep Power
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    All of this should be a moot point - there's enough technology now to implement fully computer controlled cars, that drive you from A-B, can communicate with other cars, use radar and ladar to detect the road and obstacles, and use GPS (and soon, the new Galileo system) to pin point where you are.

    Just ban people from driving their own cars, put them in an auto-car, and voila, you reduce road deaths. Well, until the system blue-screens and kills every person in a car in the country...
    GPS would be able to detect the speed said user is travelling and should be able to restrict according to the speed limit - but this is assuming that the speed limits are up to date on the GPS unit, I know my Tom Tom has speedo thingy on it and I can see what speed I am travelling but the speed limit database it refers to is out of date, one example when I am on the M1 there was a section that they were doing road works on but has now been done for a long time but it still states on the GPS to do 50mph but now everyone does 70mph on that section
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 12th May 2011 at 11:08 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th November 2010, 10:29 AM
  2. Audit, Data Protection, Encryption & Fines
    By CHR1S in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th December 2009, 11:22 AM
  3. Microsoft heading for more EU fines
    By Geoff in forum IT News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd March 2007, 09:34 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •