+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, On the spot fines for bad driving in Fun Stuff; Re-test ever 10 year? Make it 5 or 3! As for people not doing things the way they should and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re-test ever 10 year? Make it 5 or 3! As for people not doing things the way they should and having to take that into account ... surely that is proving the reason why there should be re-tests ... get people back to driving properly.

You could make it longer for those who have taken their advanced test.

Thank Post
    A re-test should be related to accidents/points, just like insurance. If you want to know who the good drivers are ask a capitalist system which is based on analysing the risk a driver represents to their profits.

The only controvesy in this report is the fine/points being awarded without due process. Under normal circumstances the police do not prosecute or impose penalties, the CPS prosecutes and the judiciary impose the penalties. The story does not mention whether you can appeal the on-the-spot fines/points. If not the system is open to abuse. I am unsure about the police being the prosecutor, jury and executioner, even though I am in complete support of our, much better than most places, police force.

Thank Post
    Points shouldn't be allowed to be handed out on the spot as it only takes one police officer with a bad attitude to ruin your license. Fines are one thing but something that hikes up your insurance and could even lead to a ban for four trivial offences is just wrong imo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the spot fines are contestable. If you feel you have been dealt with unfairly then complain. If it stands up then you may have been in a grey area about how you were driving so the answer is not to get into that grey area to start with.

Thank Post
    Let us not forget that although the number of vehicles on the road has increased dramatically over the last thirty years, the number of accidents has decreased dramatically - there will always be some risk with motoring.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    On the spot fines are contestable. If you feel you have been dealt with unfairly then complain. If it stands up then you may have been in a grey area about how you were driving so the answer is not to get into that grey area to start with.
    But how would one prove that he/she wasn't driving badly if 1/2 cops said you were?

Thank Post
    Video evidence?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pshuttle View Post
    Let us not forget that although the number of vehicles on the road has increased dramatically over the last thirty years, the number of accidents has decreased dramatically - there will always be some risk with motoring.
    Have they? Deaths have certainly reduced but I can't find any statistics just for accidents. Last time I did some research deaths were down but serious injuries were relatively static. Do you have a link to data?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    That said, my local stretch of the M27 has been "upgraded" by having 4 lanes. A very large number of drivers cannot cope with this concept. Getting into lane 3 far too early for the branch to Portsmouth, joining from the M3 and lunging for lane 4 etc.
    I find that unless one gets into Lane 3 early, it's damn hard to get across later due to those doing 80+ in Lane 2. Still, better than going in the other direction - I live in fear of being swiped into the central barrier by someone joining from the M3 who has to reach the BMW lane as soon as he sees it.

Not that I go there often, but both have to be better than the approach to Portsmouth where there seems to be a weekly accident where the 4 lanes narrow to 3. I have my theories about the cause...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BMW lane now we are on to the types of cars that many of 'those' drivers who make regulation so necessary drive. BMW not too bad nowadays in my humble opinion but I do find that many who get behind the wheel of my once favourite Audi are gaining a very bad rep for the car with their selfish driving style.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I find that unless one gets into Lane 3 early, it's damn hard to get across later due to those doing 80+ in Lane 2. Still, better than going in the other direction - I live in fear of being swiped into the central barrier by someone joining from the M3 who has to reach the BMW lane as soon as he sees it.

Not that I go there often, but both have to be better than the approach to Portsmouth where there seems to be a weekly accident where the 4 lanes narrow to 3. I have my theories about the cause...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I have my theories about the cause...
    Beemers? Audi, or Mercs? Leaving Pompey isn't much fun either.

These posts really show what happens when M-ways are built on the cheap. Who in their right minds would build motorways with roundabouts as junctions?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Beemers? Audi, or Mercs? Leaving Pompey isn't much fun either.

These posts really show what happens when M-ways are built on the cheap. Who in their right minds would build motorways with roundabouts as junctions?
    try the m1/m62 junction the designers of that need shooting almost everytime i use it you can see the accidents almost happening

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bad drivers to face £100 fines.....

Seems a bit sexist......

Thank Post
    Absolutely nothing in this country compares to the nightmare of navigating your way on the Boulevard Périphérique around Paris, or even worse venturing into Rome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    try the m1/m62 junction the designers of that need shooting almost everytime i use it you can see the accidents almost happening
    Just looked at that on a map and f me! Are they insane?

The main roundabout coming out of my estate on my way to work is a joke. Every week without fail I see an accident (god knows how many there are there that I don't see). Its always the same accident as well;

Roundabout is too tall so you can't see round it so people "just have to go" - 30mph from one direction, 40mph from 2 others, and 50mph from another.
    Car pulls out and sees another car coming round so stops half way into the roundabout.
    Car behind "sees" that the car infront has "gone", moves up to the line and looks for his gap.
    Proceeds onto roundabout at the fair pace you have to accelerate at to avoid being side swiped by any cars coming around the roundabout, and smashes straight into the back of the guy who hesitated.
    Often the car coming round the roundabout then ploughs into the already crashed cars.

I crashed there by assuming the guy infront had gone, then the car behind me did exactly the same thing and crashed into the back of me (smashing their car to bits. My damage = bumper ended up a bit wonky. Win for old cars lol). Only yesterday I was 2 cars behind the exact same thing.

And make matters worse they have changed the layout of the junctions 3 or 4 times in the last year, never even attempting to solve the problem imo (what they were trying to achieve I don't know). And what makes me laugh the most is only 50 yards away is a hot spot for a mobile police camera - not watching the junction where hundreds of cars have crashed, but looking 300 yards up the straight dual carriageway where afaik not one car has crashed coming in that direction (one has the other way).
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th May 2011 at 09:32 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast