+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, On the spot fines for bad driving in Fun Stuff; If we policed the roads properly they would be much more pleasant places. Every day I see people driving like ...

Thank Post
    If we policed the roads properly they would be much more pleasant places. Every day I see people driving like it's a basic human right and who don't give a hoot what happens outside their tin box - mobiles, speeding, inconsiderate parking, harassment of cyclists, lack of awareness & anticipation, light jumping. Mr Hammonds latest idea is more about soundbites then anything realistic - don't forget he stopped the "war" on the motorist.

Thank Post
    It will only be fully trained Traffic Officers that are able to give on the spot fines and also I am led to believe they are no longer 'target driven' this should avoid anyone trying to make their quota! I just hope that the Traffic officers apply common sense to this - If someone is doing 50 on a dual carriageway in the right hand lane while the left is completely clear then I would fully justify undertaking as the driver in the right hand lane is clearly the one causing the problem.

Thank Post
    At first I thought "brilliant, there are some terrible drivers around and just because they don't get caught speeding..." but then I remembered how bent our police constabulary is...

BBC News - Cleveland Police Authority investigated
    BBC News - Middlesbrough man wins police compensation case
    Police officer 'fitted me up' says Asian man compensated by Cleveland Police &#40From The Northern Echo)
    Police Hid Truth

Thank Post
    They say no undertaking...well, if I'm doing 70 on the inside lane, and come accross a middle lane driver doing 60 and not moving, I'm staying where I am. It's more dangerous for me to cross three lanes and back. Would the middle lane driver be punished for not moving accross whilst not overtaking?!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    I'm staying where I am. It's more dangerous for me to cross three lanes and back.
    In general circumstances, no. It is far more likely that he will wake up and move to the correct lane, than it is for you to have an accident if you sensibly overtake him. If you fling yourself across several lanes, blast past him, and fling yourself back to lane one (however tempting it might be) all bets are off.

That said, my local stretch of the M27 has been "upgraded" by having 4 lanes. A very large number of drivers cannot cope with this concept. Getting into lane 3 far too early for the branch to Portsmouth, joining from the M3 and lunging for lane 4 etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    They say no undertaking...well, if I'm doing 70 on the inside lane, and come accross a middle lane driver doing 60 and not moving, I'm staying where I am. It's more dangerous for me to cross three lanes and back. Would the middle lane driver be punished for not moving accross whilst not overtaking?!!
    i think thats more in line with normal driving. such as on a dual carriageway, if the outside lane is slowing but the inside lane isn't, you wouldnt expect the inside lane to slow down more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Technically, remaining in the middle lane (an overtaking lane, in fact) when it is proving unsafe to other drivers is already enough for the Police to pull the vehicle over. In the real world application of this you would be expected to cross from the left hand lane, through both overtaking lanes, to pass this vehicle.

There are several reasons why a vehicle may stay in the middle lane which may be deemed reasonable. These include keeping the left-hand lane free at junctions to allow for vehicles to freely move on and off the motorway (and this applies to other multi-carriageway roads), they are aware that there are likely to be slow moving vehicles in that lane which are not visible in the near distance (usually shown by signs or vehicles with notification and warning signs / alarms) and if there is a variable speed limit applied to different lanes. There are others but these tend to be most common.

Thank Post
    Tailgaters are definitely my No.1 hate. I've no problem with boy racers as such - not my style but what the hell - but when some feckwit tries to push ME to break the limit and potentially get points, that drives me insane. Enough testosterone overload to try and shunt me along but not enough to just overtake me and feck off into the sunset. ARGH

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In the real world application of this you would be expected to cross from the left hand lane, through both overtaking lanes, to pass this vehicle.
    i always thought that wasn't the case (not that i've ever had to do it). i thought that if driving in a 3 lane motorway in the left lane and the middle lane started to slow for some reason, you didnt have to move over two lanes to pass them, as it wasn't you undertaking in the sense of changing lane specifically to pass them, it was the traffic flow causing a slowdown.
    so you could carry on driving in the left lane at your same speed as you aren't undertaking you are staying in the same lane. if a driver from right hand lane then cuts over two lanes to go faster, thats a different story

Thank Post
    I don't think it will be too long until a mandatory re-test is issued to "refresh" driving ability every ten years, this would certainly weedle out all the bad drivers amongst us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Tailgaters are definitely my No.1 hate. I've no problem with boy racers as such - not my style but what the hell - but when some feckwit tries to push ME to break the limit and potentially get points, that drives me insane. Enough testosterone overload to try and shunt me along but not enough to just overtake me and feck off into the sunset. ARGH
    Too true. But it is when the individual in front is going unreasonably/unjustifiably slow and it is not safe to overtake that really gets me angry (although I still do not tailgate). It is not like I drive an aggressive car either with a Rover 75 diesel being my current mode of transport.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox_2006 View Post
    I don't think it will be too long until a mandatory re-test is issued to "refresh" driving ability every ten years, this would certainly weedle out all the bad drivers amongst us.
    but what do you re-test? if its going to be postition of hands on the wheel and all that again i suspect over 95% of people would fail. surely something needs to be tested that takes into account you have driven for 10 years so they need to target specific things, not just make you do a driving test again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i always thought that wasn't the case (not that i've ever had to do it). i thought that if driving in a 3 lane motorway in the left lane and the middle lane started to slow for some reason, you didnt have to move over two lanes to pass them, as it wasn't you undertaking in the sense of changing lane specifically to pass them, it was the traffic flow causing a slowdown.
    so you could carry on driving in the left lane at your same speed as you aren't undertaking you are staying in the same lane. if a driver from right hand lane then cuts over two lanes to go faster, thats a different story
    The section of the Highway Code is 268. The key part of this is "In congested conditions" so this is also open to the discretion of the Police, but if you are travelling at 60+mph then it is hard to call it congested.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    if you are travelling at 60+mph then it is hard to call it congested.
    If the 3rd lane is full of cars going 60ish, the middle lane is full of cars doing 40, and no one is in the inside lane, I'll use it and carefully pass the whole dopey pack of them at something sensible (very carefully). This is my normal commute!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox_2006 View Post
    That would be very sensible. However, Quentin Wilson, Clarkson, Ed King (AA) and the tabloids would shout "It's WAR on the motorist!" and the government would quickly back down (whilst ignoring the human cost of their action).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast