+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Why you should pay web designers.. in Fun Stuff; http://www.utilitybidder.co.uk/ Changed slightly, used to look like this.. sorry for quality can just make it out....

Thank Post

Why you should pay web designers..

http://www.utilitybidder.co.uk/

Changed slightly, used to look like this.. sorry for quality can just make it out.

Thank Post
    Funny, but a mans got to make a living - I don't blame the dev.

<!-- /footer -->
    <!--
    You may wonder why this site is offline, if you are reading the source then you are most probably a web developer
    that has been paid to change this.

I put this here as the company in question broke our contract and left payments outstanding,
    as a last resort I put their site offline, what else could I do.

Make sure you are paid up front, even if you have a contract, they aint worth .

-->
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 25th January 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Something not too dissimilar happened to a school I was involved with a few years ago when they sacked their NM. The dismissal was not only fair but utterly deserved, but he retaliated by (amongst other things) changing the password on the webhosting and altering all the contact forms so that they went to other accounts he controlled instead of to the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    but he retaliated by (amongst other things) changing the password on the webhosting and altering all the contact forms so that they went to other accounts he controlled instead of to the school.
    how does the employer go about solving this situation?

Thank Post
    Difficult one, if the NM denies it and the school can't prove it... it's he said, she said and it'll go nowhere.

The hosting company can take control of the hosting account and domain, change mysql/sql pws and what not... but it's not easy if the school has no knowledge in that dept.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    how does the employer go about solving this situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    The hosting company can take control of the hosting account and domain, change mysql/sql pws and what not... but it's not easy if the school has no knowledge in that dept.
    Our involvement with said school was to provide the technical knowledge to help bring the entire situation under control, and with the hosting company (Fasthosts) we did seize control of the site back fairly quickly, though Fasthosts did inexplicably allow the old NM to change the sodding passwords BACK again at one point before we gave them some verbal abuse over the phone about proper procedures to establish whether you are actually dealing with the real customer or not.

SMT at the school had a fair inkling something was 'not right' with their NM and we were initially brought in under the guise of acting as consultants to help improve the school's network provision, as we were a much bigger school with a much bigger team and network. Our actual brief was to answer SMT's question of "is our NM screwing us over?"

Which he was. And I suspect he knew full well what we were really there for.

I don't know if any legal action was eventually taken against him; I think the school was just glad he was gone. It actually got a lot weirder after this; I wont go into it any further on a public forum, but if any of you see me at a conference or the like, ask me about when they hired their new NM...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread