+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Great NZ Ad about Broadband in Fun Stuff; There had been an ad playing on NZ TV for a short while which perfectly describes our current internet experience ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile Great NZ Ad about Broadband

There had been an ad playing on NZ TV for a short while which perfectly describes our current internet experience and makes the case for fibre. The ad can be found and played here Fibre to the Door | Broadband Network | Vector a short way down the page. As its not youtube I cant embed it. I find it quite ammusing how accurate their depiction of slow internet is and also useful to point to as an explaination for non-technical types.

Here is a direct link for those with VLC installed http://www.fibretothedoor.co.nz/site...deo/Vector.flv

This relates to the proposed funding initive by the government to roll out a remotely decent internet infrastructure which they are taking bids and input on at the moment. Vector is a power line company and is suggesting full fibre to the home where as the incumbent Telecom whos network is unstable, expencive and has been holding NZ back for decades want to use the cash to upgraded their links to their existing ADSL cabinets leaving us in the same choked position as before.

Thank Post
    am i the only one who was waiting for "and this what fibre will be like" and for the straws to explode and a torrent of water to come and blow a hole in the side of the house.?

there are still areas of the uk like that especially in the north, one of the guys here is lucky if he can get 512kb/s at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    am i the only one who was waiting for "and this what fibre will be like" and for the straws to explode and a torrent of water to come and blow a hole in the side of the house.?

there are still areas of the uk like that especially in the north, one of the guys here is lucky if he can get 512kb/s at home.
    how slow, i get a steady 13/14mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have good chunks were you can only get dial up at 33.6k in some rural areas unless you are willing to pay for satelitte. About 10km away from me in one of the more affluent areas they have run out of capacity for broadband and have not upgraded for 5 years. The only option there is mobile broadband at $20/GB or dial up. This is about 5 minutes out of town

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    hmm not good, there is a few schools around the birmingham area that are going to get 1gb/s connection

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    I live close to the centre of town in the South east of England... thanks to a change in ISP, we've gone from 0.72Mb to 3.58 MB, but are unlikely to get more than that for a long time. It's frustrating as other streets have fiber and miles faster copper lines, including the main road across the top of ours.

However I think I would be even more frustrated if I lived in NZ.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread