+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Genuine DVDs Vs. Pirate DVDs in Fun Stuff; Please note: This is intended as a joke, not to suggest that you start pirating things....

Thank Post

Genuine DVDs Vs. Pirate DVDs

Please note: This is intended as a joke, not to suggest that you start pirating things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    I agree 100% !!
    I would happily buy DVDs & CDs if the costs were 5 & that was it, no more. I just can't see how you can justify paying 15 to 25 for a DVD or BR these days.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I think of how meny DVD's I've bought over the years (100's) and then how meny of them I've actually re-watched enough times to make the purchase price worth while (<10) I wonder if I really want to purchase any more DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I'm getting to the point of thinking streamed movie rental is the answer. 3.50 (max) to watch a film once instead of 12-15.

Problem is I'm not spending out for Apple-TV just to be able to do this and Sony's attempt on the PS3 is almost unusable. Do I really have to scroll through 630 films 1 at a time to find the one I fancy?

Virgin OnDemand was very good when I had that...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    When I think of how meny DVD's I've bought over the years (100's) and then how meny of them I've actually re-watched enough times to make the purchase price worth while (<10) I wonder if I really want to purchase any more DVD's or Blu-Rays.

I'm getting to the point of thinking streamed movie rental is the answer. 3.50 (max) to watch a film once instead of 12-15.

Problem is I'm not spending out for Apple-TV just to be able to do this and Sony's attempt on the PS3 is almost unusable. Do I really have to scroll through 630 films 1 at a time to find the one I fancy?

Virgin OnDemand was very good when I had that...
    I have only ever used Virgin's Box Office once - I have a V+ box and they want to charge you an extra 1 and sometimes more if you want to watch a movie in HD, [ and even then the sound is crap, not surround ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    I totally agree - same here with buying lots and lots of movies from play.com and you sit down ready with ya pop corn / drink or w/e and you get so fed up of the chuffin trailers and anti piracy trailer thing about you wouldnt steal a car etc by the time it comes to the movie your half tempted to press stop and not bother watching it cos you've already finished ya drink / pop corn etc and almost lost your sanity with all the crud you are forced to watch.

Just feel like using dvd shrink or dvd decrypter or the likes just so you can rip only the movie off the disc lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I pay for an unlimited Cinema subscription every month, and am aslo paying for an unlimited movie rental service, both of which I never use.

I get my movies from the 'nerferious' sources, but don't feel guilty as I am technically paying for them in my eyes.

t_h
    Thank Post
    The copyright warnings I get - fair enough - but unskippable trailers and adverts on something you've paid (a lot) for the privilege to watch just takes the proverbial. It annoys me just as much in the cinema (trailers not so much, but definitely adverts)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I pay for an unlimited Cinema subscription every month
    Thing is, it's just as chuffing annoying when you go to the cinema, 15 mins of adverts, another 10 of trailers followed by the DON'T PIRATE watch in a cinema thing, which has to be the most ironic message ever given that your already in a damn cinema.

It's the same with games/software, i.e the legit buyers suffer with horrible DRM and activation limits whereas the pirates have none of this. It used to be the same with music until they finally wised up that it just drove people to piracy.

Thank Post
    the missus has an unlimited cinema pass thingy, there was a point when we would go every tuesday, but as there are now no good films we want to see shes paying 12 a month for the pleasure of nothing XD

we once went to see a late showing, was due to start at something like 9:20, the adverts started at 9:30 (late) then at 10:15 the film started, there were only 10-15 people in the cinema, it was rediculous the ammount of crap adverts were being shown, the worst offenders of all are now the orange Wednesdays that some on after every trailer/copyright warning/anti piracy/drink driving/phone off...

ARRRRRRGH TOUCHY SUBJECT !!!

</Rant>

Thank Post
    I actually went through a lot of our legit DVDs and started ripping them using CloneDVD and AnyDVD just so I could remove all that crap from it

BitTorrent is used a fair bit now - I dont see it as major piracy as we dont burn them to DVD to redistribute them - Burn to DVD to watch on our own DVD player..

Yes I know - I shouldnt download - but as many have pointed out - the price is ridiculous for DVDs (15-20 on average - and thenyou have to wait at least 10 mins whilst it goes through Anti-Piracy, adverts and trailers...

I would happily start buying DVDs again if the prices were more realistic (ie that of a blank DVD!)

Thank Post
    For some of us - space is an issue. I can fit 400 avi's of decent qulality on to 1 HDD, i dont have the space for 400 dvd cases, even the slim lines. So i prefer not having DVD's. IF i could download an AVI of a film for say 2, then i would. I'm always buying 3 for 5 dvd deals in asda to watch with the gf but if i could download them legally i would.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    For some of us - space is an issue. I can fit 400 avi's of decent qulality on to 1 HDD, i dont have the space for 400 dvd cases, even the slim lines. So i prefer not having DVD's. IF i could download an AVI of a film for say 2, then i would. I'm always buying 3 for 5 dvd deals in asda to watch with the gf but if i could download them legally i would.
    iTunes or lovefilm.com, I think play.com are following suit but not sure ( not sure if the latter 2 are just for rental or for owning )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    yep same here, and any of those hundreds of DVD's i no longer want i dont have to sell i just archive it off onto another drive/dvd, whyyyyy cant they do this yet !!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use lovefilm, and its pretty damn good.

However I'll still go buy a film if theres one I really like and know i'll want to watch again - The Hurt Locker being the most recent, cause its awesome

I'm not big into downloading films the same way I'm not with music - its detrimental for the people on the receiving end. its fine for the big names who won't notice, but the little guys, indie film makers, gigging musicians, etc all get shafted when they make less money, their studio doesn't support them anymore because of that and then they don't get anywhere.

I know I'm gonna get a load of 'it shouldn't work like that' arguments - and I whole heartedly agree. however at the moment it does.

The whole music and film industries need to move forward and change their business models, and unfortunately that's not gonna work happening gradually - it needs to be all or nothing

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,861 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The adverts at the beginning of DVD's annoy the hell out of me. I've already been good and bought or rented the disc, why are you then telling me not to pirate?? Preaching to the converted...

I also use BT Vision's movie on demand service. My only issue with it is the cost of a rental. For a new release, in HD, it can be 4.49 to watch for 24 hours. Or I can go to Blockbuster up the road and get 4 for a tenner, for 5 days. The older movies are priced ok, usually 1.99 but anything slightly popular or new and bam, there goes the pay cheque.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast