+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Genuine DVDs Vs. Pirate DVDs in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Domino I use lovefilm, and its pretty damn good. However I'll still go buy a film if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I use lovefilm, and its pretty damn good.

However I'll still go buy a film if theres one I really like and know i'll want to watch again - The Hurt Locker being the most recent, cause its awesome

I'm not big into downloading films the same way I'm not with music - its detrimental for the people on the receiving end. its fine for the big names who won't notice, but the little guys, indie film makers, gigging musicians, etc all get shafted when they make less money, their studio doesn't support them anymore because of that and then they don't get anywhere.

I know I'm gonna get a load of 'it shouldn't work like that' arguments - and I whole heartedly agree. however at the moment it does.

The whole music and film industries need to move forward and change their business models, and unfortunately that's not gonna work happening gradually - it needs to be all or nothing
    with that in mind - if you are paying for a dvd / blu ray movie , or whatever format it comes in - then we should have the choice of watching the trailers / adverts etc not be forced to watch it before the movie so that it goes straight to the menu system so you can play the movie straight away or watch trailers / special features etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use a DVD rental service called Fatso.co.nz here in NZ, the name is stupid but it works ok. There used to be three but they all got merged into one larger company.

I buy the occasional DVD that is on crazy sale if it is something I am likely to want to watch more than once but most of the time I just rent using the above service, its done by posting the DVDs as streaming in NZ is not practical because the greedy ISPs would add on their bandwidth charges also - about another $10 per movie just in bandwidth.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 19th February 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Simple fact of the matter is that the film industry (same as the music one) are their own worst enemy. You make good content, cheap and easy to buy and people will. You put copy protection, adverts, hold back releases and charge double the price it cost to watch in the cinema and people will pirate. It's very simple yet they're too dumb to figure it out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Simple fact of the matter is that the film industry (same as the music one) are their own worst enemy. You make good content, cheap and easy to buy and people will. You put copy protection, adverts, hold back releases and charge double the price it cost to watch in the cinema and people will pirate. It's very simple yet they're too dumb to figure it out
    yup atm the most likely reason to make me pirate a dvd is to get rid of the anti piracy warning esp on fox stuff and disney stuff trailers you cant skip its silly youre preaching to the converted but atm i stick a disk in and do something else for 5 mins. its also daft the last blueray i got came with blueray disk,dvd and digital download but the download was sd which when ive bought a hd version why would i download a drm'd sd version?
    Last edited by Domino; 19th February 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: edited for freudian slip....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I use lovefilm, and its pretty damn good.
    Ditto. We haven't had Sky or Virgin for years now, we just wait and rent the TV shows we want to watch once they come out on DVD. However, that did annoy the hell out of a former co-worker, because I was the only other BSG fan he knew and he had to wait for the rental release date to discuss it with me when he was downloading episodes from the US over BitTorrent almost as soon as they aired.

What I really want now is for LoveFilm to go the way of Netflix in the US, which allows you to stream movies direct from their service on the same monthly-fee payment model.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Now if the ads were like this bunch from 1984 I would'nt mind.....[ I still love the Kia Ora ad ]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXLWInAjpI"]YouTube- cinema ads with pearl and dean intro and outro[/ame]

Thank Post
    Ive got nothing against buying the DVD's even for the vastly inflated prices tbh, but the adverts and all that are annoying and much prefer to use AVI's. I've got countless CD's and DVD's that are still in the plastic wrapping as I've purchased them but still end up downloading a copy to keep on my Computer so I can stream it all over the house or not have to bother with disc's.

I can use torrents or newsgroups and download a film in 20minutes, if there was a legal service which would do the same and allow me to keep a copy I will happily pay to use it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    What I really want now is for LoveFilm to go the way of Netflix in the US, which allows you to stream movies direct from their service on the same monthly-fee payment model.
    I think this is the future of video and how the studios would ultimately turn the tide on piracy - a bit like iTunes for the music industry.

There are a number of players in this market already - BT Vision/Virgin/PS3/Xbox/iTunes. I've got my PS3 for movie streaming. I'm just a bit peeved at the UI and as someone else pointed out, the price of renting new films is usually a bit on the high side.

Thank Post
    Even worse. You've watched all of the unskipable ads and dire warnings and are watching the film when all of a sudden if freezes due to dirt on the disk/fault what ever. You eject the disk clean and reinsert then realise that you'll have to watch it all again

Thank Post
    I don't know how, but quite a few years ago now we bought a dvd player from scan.com.

It was multi region, which was tricky to get hold of at the time and seemed quite good.

I quickly found out that it would skip anything, so all the unskippables were missed and also you could load the disc and just hit the menu button and it would go straight there!

Now i've got a Sony Blu Ray player, and everything is "this action is currently prohibited on this disc" and it won't play my american DVDs (they didn't sell ANY robot chicken over her until recently)!

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I think this is the future of video and how the studios would ultimately turn the tide on piracy - a bit like iTunes for the music industry.

There are a number of players in this market already - BT Vision/Virgin/PS3/Xbox/iTunes. I've got my PS3 for movie streaming. I'm just a bit peeved at the UI and as someone else pointed out, the price of renting new films is usually a bit on the high side.
    The BIG issue is the fact that the UK cant support a streaming film model. Take me for instance, if I want to watch a film at peak time (about 6pm lets say) I can watch 1500MB of film, assuming I havent used any of my allowance by then. Once that amount has passed its down to a crippled 2Mb that wont stream very well.

So I do my downloading overnight and during the day while im at work so they are ready to watch when I get home. Is there a streaming service that allows you to schedual a download? or Even download an offline version? Can you even download an MKV with DTS and 1080p that is legal?

This is exactly the reason why the less than legal services seem to be the way most people go for their films or TV shows. You have a HUGE library of very high quality media thats avaliable to download when you like with little or no restrictions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    The BIG issue is the fact that the UK cant support a streaming film model. Take me for instance, if I want to watch a film at peak time (about 6pm lets say) I can watch 1500MB of film, assuming I havent used any of my allowance by then. Once that amount has passed its down to a crippled 2Mb that wont stream very well.

Is that not ISP dependant though? Also is this not what the 50p telephone tax is supposed to sort out?

Is there a streaming service that allows you to schedual a download? or Even download an offline version? Can you even download an MKV with DTS and 1080p that is legal?
    Well my PS3 has films to rent. I can watch them while they are downloading or download and watch offline. They claim they are HD quality (well some of them) - don't know what red. I'll assume they have surround sound - not tested, the two films I've watched weren't exactly big in the surround sound department anyway.

Thank Post
    I voted with my download button long ago ... the money I save allows me to have a 50mb Virgin connection. Good films I go to the flicks to watch (Avatar etc).

Thank Post
    I love a decent film, I have hundreds of DVDs. The quality of the DVD is usually pants for the reasons show perfectly in that picture. But the quality of some of the releases lately just beggars belief.

Example. I love my Zombie movies. Zombies of War sounded right up my street, but I checked it out first before handing over £10 at ASDA, only to find out that it was a renamed earlier low budget flop that had nothing to do with zombies which was slated by every reviewer. Now that's criminal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The adverts at the beginning of DVD's annoy the hell out of me. I've already been good and bought or rented the disc, why are you then telling me not to pirate?? Preaching to the converted...
    QFT+1

Ironically if you'd pirated the movie they'd probably have cut out the anti-piracy warning so you'll only ever see it on genuine's DVD's you've paid to watch

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast