+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Please be quite... in Fun Stuff; Found this on the door of one of our computer suites. I informed our Head of ICT whose response was ...
    Thank Post

Please be quite...

Found this on the door of one of our computer suites. I informed our Head of ICT whose response was something along the lines of "that's the last time I let a student write the signs!".

Please be quite what?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    quite nice to the people doing the exam??

Spelling intrigues me. I'm quite good at it (but will almost certainly make a mistake here!) but many people either aren't good at it or don't bother - read almost any thread on here, for example, and you'll find it riddled with mistakes. Some will be typos but most are obviously because people just don't know the words (my pet hate is "of" instead of "have") or how to spell them.

I have no idea what will happen to written English in the next few decades - I suspect it may be rather different from today. Does that matter? It's changed hugely over the centuries so perhaps not.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that find many people with IT who have dyslexia so you find on IT sites a high percentage of mistakes certainly true if look at my posts

Russ

Thank Post
    I'm a serial mispeller and tbh its because i run spellchecks on everything at work and when i get home why should i bother?

even if it would save some peoples sanity

p.s no i'm not dyslexic... well i could be never been tested...
    Last edited by mossj; 22nd May 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ask your learning support department they are currently doing the test software on me won't say for sure but gives you the indication if you are or not.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Sorry, but bad spelling drives me up the wall as well. I think it looks childish and unprofessional.

I think the language is changing though,and 'have' will replace 'of' in the same way that people now say that they are bored 'of' something when actually they are bored 'with' it. I hated the changes until I read Bill Bryson's books - 'Mother Tongue' and 'Made in America' which explain, very entertainingly (is that even a word?) how the English language has evolved over the centuries. It shows how we really can't complain if it goes on changing.
    My pet hate?
    People who, when spelling out a word, say 'Haitch' for the letter H. Why? - because the name of that letter is spelt AITCH. There is no H in H!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    There is no H in H!!

Hmm.. must be a regional dialect thing cos I always say "H"

Then again I say "Loch" properly... and no, its not as in "Lock"

Must admit, bad spelling really annoys me as does text speak!

But the single biggest pet hate I have is with ....

The Apostrophe!

It's not that bloomin' difficult!

It denotes ownership (Gatt's Reply) or a missing letter or letters (can't, won't, etc...)
    Last edited by Gatt; 22nd May 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I agree about the "aitch" thing... don't like it when people use the letter at the beginning.

Thing is though, I remember a teacher mentioning the correct way to say it once maybe twice at school, so kids will just say what they hear everyone else saying... and some of the teachers say it! Bit like people saying "somethink" instead of "something"...

I was ashamed of myself the other day when I sent an email to the head and realised I had spelt "shenanigans" with a double "n" in the middle. She didn't mention it though so I guess she didn't notice either.

Thank Post
    On the subject of crazy spellings, how many people find the poorest grammar and spelling comes from English teachers?

An email, from the now acting head of English, was sent to all staff and although the explaining paragraph was riddled with the odd spelling mistake, the end was...

"They is in my desk if anyone wants they"

Ages ago, back when I was a student, My friend who was doing the same technical course I was doing was asked to draw up a simple notice that explained the printer was out of use...

In a fit of intelligence, he asked how to spell "Convenience" which I spelt... 10 minutes later a student pointed out the error on the sign.

"Printer is out of order. Sorry for the convenience."

It remained on a wall of fame for about 3 years... until it mysteriously vanished...

Thank Post
    The spellings that always bugs me is "loose" instead of "lose", did these people not get taught this ?
    But I have to admit I usually miss off the apostrophe when it is belonging to someone (as in James', this confuses me, as I say "Jameses", so this is what I want to write down), but never when it is referring to a lost letter in a word (as in can't, from cannot).

The problem with "should of", is that people are actually saying "should've" (from should have, so it nees an apostrophe too).

The language will change a people change the use of it, but it desn't mean I have to like it.

[There were more spelling mistakes in this comment, than any other message I have ever written on this forum, but I am going to blame this keyboard ]

Thank Post
    I've always been somewhat tolerant of incorrect spellings and what not, it used to bug me to no end, but it's something grow to tolerate if you have to see it enough.

I cnt stand ppl who feel the need 2 drop in txt speak though. I'm not even old and it's the lamest thing I've come to know.

There's one million words in the English Language now apparently. and the average person uses less than twenty thousand.... you'd think that since they only know a fiftieth (is it?) of the words, they could at least spell those correctly

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Hmm.. must be a regional dialect thing cos I always say "H"
    That's my point - it ISN'T a regional dialect thing - it is a mispronunciation!!

As for apostrophes - it has been proved that if people just LEFT THEM OUT they would be right about 85% of the time - this is due to the fact that it is the misuse of the apostrophe in a plural that causes all the trouble!
    The only tricky apostrophe is 'it's '- because it is a truncated word (where it does have an apostrophe), AND a possessive (where, for some unknown reason, it doesn't).
    Given that other possessives - Dave's, school's - DO have an apostrophe, I think it would clear up the confusion if 'it's' had an apostrophe in both cases.
    Oops, got a bit carried away there

Thank Post
    This might help you witch with regards to its and it's -> Apostrophe Use

As for the aitch/haitch debate - you are correct in that the "official" way is aitch ... BUT almost everyone says both - If I were to start spelling Hayley's name I would go - Haitch.. etc however if I recite the Alphabet I say aitch...

Speaking of the alphabet - it bugs Hayley that I pronoune the letter J - "Jie" (As in Die) rather than "Jay" ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry, but bad spelling drives me up the wall as well. I think it looks childish and unprofessional.

I think the language is changing though,and 'have' will replace 'of' in the same way that people now say that they are bored 'of' something when actually they are bored 'with' it. I hated the changes until I read Bill Bryson's books - 'Mother Tongue' and 'Made in America' which explain, very entertainingly (is that even a word?) how the English language has evolved over the centuries. It shows how we really can't complain if it goes on changing.
    My pet hate?
    People who, when spelling out a word, say 'Haitch' for the letter H. Why? - because the name of that letter is spelt AITCH. There is no H in H!!
    Hear hear....! Always annoys me this one for some reason!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nihtong wrnog wtih gtetnig the odd wrod wonrg. My selpilng is usaluly pasaslbe. I do tned to dorp a wnorg lteter hree or trhee. The selpilng isn't relaly ipmotrant, it's the coentnts that matetrs.

The menaing of waht is be siad, not the odrer of the lteters uesd to say it.

(the old ones are the best )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information