+ Post New Thread
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Dedicated to us 'geekers' aged 35+ in Fun Stuff; An oldie but goldie: YouTube - Hey Hey 16k...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dedicated to us 'geekers' aged 35+

An oldie but goldie:

YouTube - Hey Hey 16k

Thank Post
    hey, not so high on the age

I'm only 27, but I have fond memories of computers like the Amstrad CPC, spectrum and BBC micro. learnt to program my Amstrad in the late 80's/early 90's when I was only about 10. Then again my father was also into programming our amstrad CPC, he even had a game published on the covertape of Computing with the Amstrad magazine (or Amstrad Action, can't recall which one now)

Havn't seen that vid for a while

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hey, hey, same here with the age you know - not quite 35 yet (few more years to go). My first computer was the 16k Speccy - rubber keyed, 5 minutes of tape loading to find out you set the volume wrong, typing in a listing in Sinclear User to find out it only worked on the 48k model, ah those where the days...

Thank Post
    23 here and fondly remember the Amstrad and C64.

Thank Post
    21 here, and I loved the spectrum!

Chris

Thank Post
    ^ like the above two, 21 and the ZX spectrum, amiga 500 and atari 2600 were some of my best ever gaming days (still have the amiga and the atari, still got my NES and SNES too )

Thank Post

And theres nothing better than the original Larry Suit Larry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post

And theres nothing better than the original Larry Suit Larry
    Sorry, but larry suit larry made me chuckle, t'is indeed a classic. 2nd Best themetune ever (behind Sam & Max hit the road (the original, not telltale)

Chris

Thank Post
    28 here, and just remembering my old computers, 48k spectrum, then a 128k spectrum +3 - 3" floppy drive..... woo, family computer of an Atari ST, still remember playing robocop on that, could never get past ED209, Amstrad CPC464 - i think that was the name of it anyway, then my favourite computer - Amiga 600 with 20Mb hdd. I used to play an indiana jones game on that, only remember that game because it was 11 or 12 disks and t fit nicely on the hdd. Also it was the first time i ever took a computer apart - a bit curious to see what was inside it.

Those were the days......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm about to sounds as ageist as Dos_Box didn't mean to be, but I've just done a little bit of maths here (I know it's 2 in the morning, I can't sleep!) and, well 21...

That means you were born in '87. A solid two years after the Amiga was first released and about the time Sinclear went bust and was sold to Amstrad.

By the time you was 7 ('94), the original Speccy was 11 years old and Commodore had gone bust. And you would have been 11 about the time Windows '98 was released.

This leads to the question of either you have a very good memory of the ages around 2-6 years old, parents who loved their retro (by that stage ) 8bit computers and managed to preserve them well beyond their use by date, or you are remember emulators rather than the original kit?

What ever the answer, well done.

(P.S. I only go as far back as the '83 rubber keyed speccy - the older machines like the ZX80, PET, Apple ][ - I only know by reputation)

Thank Post
    tmcd35 - I was given an amiga 500 at around the age of 5-7, boxed, 2 joysticks, the works

My uncle used to have a TON of atari games and about 3 ataris, one he gave to me along with a few games no idea what age i was

the spectrum i had was the one with plastic keys, where all the keys were square but with circular bits sticking out (you know what i mean if you seen it/used it) which was my first ever gaming machine, though i was so young i can only remember enough to know i had one and that the zero key broke which was needed for aload of my games to start levels :P

I can even take a photo of the amiga IN ITS BOX along with the atrari which i still have (granted ill have to dig around for that one, probably in the attic), i loved retro stuff, and my parents couldn't afford a nice fancy computer or up to date console as presents when i was younger so i got what was imo something better lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    the spectrum i had was the one with plastic keys, where all the keys were square but with circular bits sticking out (you know what i mean if you seen it/used it) which was my first ever gaming machine, though i was so young i can only remember enough to know i had one and that the zero key broke which was needed for aload of my games to start levels :P
    That'll be the Spectrum+ models then. They were made by Amstrad rather than Sinclear, which seemed quite strange to me as they were in direct competition to their own CPC line (I had the CPC464 ).

Your comment about the zero key has reminded me of Jetpac. I had it on the 16k Speccy when I was about 7. I'd stay up late at night competing against my parents, trying to advance through the most levels and get the highest score. trying to control that little man with those horrid rubber keys! I do remember have to push 0 to start the game!

(PS take no offense at my agism, I was just pleasantly surprised you remember the speccy. The Amiga/ST doesn't surprise me. Edit: I'm jealous you have a Miggy in the box - mine bit the dust over a decade ago!)

Thank Post
    I'm looking forward to pay day, think ill try and get myself a spectrum+ off ebay

Its funny i distinctly remember one game where your a little man in a black and white castle type place, going from room to room, but thats about all i can remember, best game ever!

Talking of playing against parents, i remember the SNES.. super mario world, many fun days of sitting in the living room trying hard to get past fortresses and ghost houses, leaning from side to side, tongue hanging out

ahhh good times
    Last edited by mrbios; 23rd September 2008 at 09:19 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread