+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Why we donít understand as much as we think we do in Fun Stuff; Jonathan Drori on what we think we know | Video on TED.com Starting with four basic questions (that you may ...
  1. #1
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111

    Why we donít understand as much as we think we do

    Jonathan Drori on what we think we know | Video on TED.com

    Starting with four basic questions (that you may be surprised to find you can't answer), Jonathan Drori looks at the gaps in our knowledge -- and specifically, what we don't about science that we might think we do.

  2. #2

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,684
    Thank Post
    824
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    Really good video, it is very relevant to and inditeful of current education systems and shows up one of the reasons they can fail. I did manage to answer all four of the questions correctly but I put that down to my own curiosity rather than any direct teaching that I received. We are taught to think that we know the answers if we pass the tests and often this is simply not true.

  3. #3
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Thank Post
    230
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Restores your faith in scientists after having listened to Richard Dorkins exclusively recently. AND confirms our worst fears about the worth of modern education (essentially worthLESS in my opinion).

  4. #4
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Restores your faith in scientists after having listened to Richard Dorkins exclusively recently. AND confirms our worst fears about the worth of modern education (essentially worthLESS in my opinion).
    Trust you to use the words 'faith' and 'scientist' in the same sentence....

    Bet you were more than a little disappointed that the thread title wasn't about some credence being given to the idea of god/religion filling the gaps left in scientific knowledge by some eminent scientist....in your dreams mark.

    And what exactly is your problem with Dawkins ? Why should scientists have to 'respect' religion. If Dawkins wants to trash religion based on evidence and fact he's actually being a very good scientist.

    Back to the topic at hand. I must admit to being one of those guilty of thinking the planets had an eliptical orbit based on those 3D/perspective drawings of the solar system from school texts.

  5. #5
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Restores your faith in scientists after having listened to Richard Dorkins exclusively recently. AND confirms our worst fears about the worth of modern education (essentially worthLESS in my opinion).
    mark are you in this video?

    YouTube - Richard Dawkins Reading his Fan mail From Loving Christians

    Dawkins points out -

    Scientific Evidence for Evolution - lots & lots, evolution is proven to the same degree or greater as gravity.
    Scientific Evidence for Religion - none, in fact scientific evidence contradicts most religious beliefs.

    and then ask why we give such respect to religion, allowing it to be taught to children, but not other theories which have no evidence - such as the earth is flat, the Easter bunny is real, Elvis is still alive etc.

    After watching the TV show, 'The Genius of Charles Darwin' I still find it hard to believe there is a science teacher in the UK at a State school who believes the earth is 6,000 years old.
    Last edited by somabc; 7th September 2008 at 09:19 PM.

  6. #6
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Thank Post
    230
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Trust you to use the words 'faith' and 'scientist' in the same sentence....
    Haha! Too picky torledo!

    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Bet you were more than a little disappointed that the thread title wasn't about some credence being given to the idea of god/religion filling the gaps left in scientific knowledge by some eminent scientist....in your dreams mark.

    And what exactly is your problem with Dawkins ? Why should scientists have to 'respect' religion. If Dawkins wants to trash religion based on evidence and fact he's actually being a very good scientist.

    Back to the topic at hand. I must admit to being one of those guilty of thinking the planets had an eliptical orbit based on those 3D/perspective drawings of the solar system from school texts.
    Hey - I have no problem with people dissing religion. Dorkins is a twat because he know's nothing about it, and professes to have a closed mind. Yet he bleats on about it. Just making himself look stupid.

    To me the two are 100% true. As I've said. Dorkins can't accept that.

  7. #7
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Thank Post
    230
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    mark are you in this video?

    YouTube - Richard Dawkins Reading his Fan mail From Loving Christians

    Dawkins points out -

    Scientific Evidence for Evolution - lots & lots, evolution is proven to the same degree or greater as gravity.
    Scientific Evidence for Religion - none, in fact scientific evidence contradicts most religious beliefs.

    and then ask why we give such respect to religion, allowing it to be taught to children, but not other theories which have no evidence - such as the earth is flat, the Easter bunny is real, Elvis is still alive etc.

    After watching the TV show, 'The Genius of Charles Darwin' I still find it hard to believe there is a science teacher in the UK at a State school who believes the earth is 6,000 years old.
    Haha - yeh - I watched the program. He had a red face when reading those out - so he should mocking the stupid - in my books he made himself the same as them.

    Dorkins points out... that he's a twat who's not willing to think about it.

    After watching the show... you are happy to fully accept what one closed minded posh twat tells you, even though factually he can't make conclusive statements, and impose your beliefs on the whole of the UK population. And you think Christians are the baddies here???

  8. #8
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Haha - yeh - I watched the program. He had a red face when reading those out - so he should mocking the stupid - in my books he made himself the same as them.
    He is as bad as people who send hate mail / death threats by reading them out on camera? really?


    After watching the show... you are happy to fully accept what one closed minded posh twat tells you, even though factually he can't make conclusive statements, and impose your beliefs on the whole of the UK population. And you think Christians are the baddies here???
    That he is 'posh' has nothing to do with it, you are engaging in Ad hominem. If anything, he is not closed minded he is open to everything that has a scientific basis. I don't even see why there is a debate, you are either open to the explanation for the world through the scientific method, a method of inquiry based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning or you believe something else. If you think something is true because you believe in it then why learn anything?

    Currently this suggests the universe was created in a big bang creating all elementary particles, some of which eventually formed into the planet we are on now. On this planet single celled life forms arose and they evolved over billions of years until I can type this message to you. No the science for this is not complete by any means, particularly the early stages of the big bang but what parts we understand point in this direction.

    or


    You believe what you were taught as a child, because you have an unsubstantiated 'belief' in it.

    I.E. in the case of Christianity that a supreme being whose own creation is either unknown or infinite created our planet and all life on it in 6 days only 6,000 years ago, by means unknown. He then killed all life on it except for those he chose to save on a large boat. He sent his son who was born to a virgin, again by means unknown and his son informed humanity of a new way to live their lives but we did not take it well and he was killed by the Romans. He rose from the dead after 3 days (again by means unknown) like a zombie? Afterwards some people wrote a book about it and we have worshipped both him and the supreme being for the last 2,000 years. One day he will return and we shall all go to Heaven, wherever that is, where we will be immortal and happy, somehow. Unfortunately due to misunderstandings or disagreements of the importance of certain elements of this story many different sects have formed which typically believe that they will be only ones to go to heaven while the others will be tortured in hell for eternity.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tyBranches.svg

    Even just applying Occam's razor, which is more likely?

    Last edited by somabc; 9th September 2008 at 09:00 PM.

  9. #9
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Haha! Too picky torledo!


    Hey - I have no problem with people dissing religion. Dorkins is a twat because he know's nothing about it, and professes to have a closed mind. Yet he bleats on about it. Just making himself look stupid.

    To me the two are 100% true. As I've said. Dorkins can't accept that.
    I think you do him a disservice. I'm sure he knows a lot about religion....he has to, so as to defend himself against the fanatics he debates against. Knowing about religion is like an occupational hazard for Dawkins.

    Are you from the Dr Rowan Williams school of religious beliefs aswell ? Desperately trying to accomodate evolutionary biology alongside what is written in the bible. In others words having your cake and eating it....why can't you both just do what triple jumper jonathan edwards ended up doing ?

    Now excuse me while i watch Richard Dawkins kicking some butt on youtube.

  10. #10
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Thank Post
    230
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    He is as bad as people who send hate mail / death threats by reading them out on camera? really?
    clue.. You need to use your brain here

    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Currently this suggests the universe was created in a big bang creating all elementary particles, some of which eventually formed into the planet we are on now. On this planet single celled life forms arose and they evolved over billions of years until I can type this message to you. No the science for this is not complete by any means, particularly the early stages of the big bang but what parts we understand point in this direction.

    or
    Stop telling me what to believe !!! Take off the blinkers for heavens sake !

    'or' nothing... 'and'


    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    You believe what you were taught as a child, because you have an unsubstantiated 'belief' in it.
    Utter tosh - really mate - you ought to get out more - there's real life outside those curtains you know.

    RELIGIOUS LOGIC

    you have to think about it - dur - neanderthal man only believe wot he see.

  11. #11
    mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,943
    Thank Post
    230
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I think you do him a disservice. I'm sure he knows a lot about religion....he has to, so as to defend himself against the fanatics he debates against. Knowing about religion is like an occupational hazard for Dawkins.
    If he does, that makes me a genius - because I can see how ignorant his viewpoint is.

    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Are you from the Dr Rowan Williams school of religious beliefs aswell ? Desperately trying to accomodate evolutionary biology alongside what is written in the bible. In others words having your cake and eating it....why can't you both just do what triple jumper jonathan edwards ended up doing ?
    Yeah that's right - Dork said it so it's fact - you really are a media generation victim aren't you.

    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Now excuse me while i watch Richard Dawkins kicking some butt on youtube.
    All I see is him making an ass out of himself. And fleecing money out of idiots like you.

  12. #12
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    clue.. You need to use your brain here
    Why because you have not explained your point properly?


    Stop telling me what to believe !!! Take off the blinkers for heavens sake !
    The point is I am not telling you to believe in anything in particular, belief is irrelevant outside of religion. I ask you look at the evidence available which will be true whether you believe in it or not.

    Utter tosh - really mate - you ought to get out more - there's real life outside those curtains you know.
    You are attacking me rather than debating the point.

    A (fallacious) ad hominem argument has the basic form:

    Person A makes claim X
    There is something objectionable about Person A
    Therefore claim X is false

    ie

    somabc claims all religion is false, has no basis in reality and cannot be independently verified
    There is something objectionable about somabc (somabc has not seen the real world?)
    Therefore his claim is false

    This does not follow.

    you have to think about it - dur - neanderthal man only believe wot he see.
    The cartoon shows in conventional logic you assert something, I ask for proof, you provide proof, I accept your claim. In Religious 'logic' you assert something, I ask for proof, you say you believe it to be true and ask me to disprove it (while getting upset), I say its not true.

    It does not show that I have to see something myself to believe it, like a Neanderthal as you put it. (btw when did these Neanderthals roam the earth considering no specimens younger than 30,000 years have been found?)
    Last edited by somabc; 9th September 2008 at 10:17 PM.

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    There's plenty of scientific evidence for religion here:

    Open Letter To Kansas School Board - Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

    For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 10,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.

  14. #14
    somabc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 388 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    There's plenty of scientific evidence for religion here:

    Open Letter To Kansas School Board - Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s.





    Brilliant, simply brilliant.

    See also Russell's Teapot & the Invisible Pink Unicorn

    If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

    Bertrand Russell
    The Invisible Pink Unicorn

    Appearance - The Invisible Pink Unicorn is both invisible and pink, a deliberate contradiction which forms the basis of the entire religion. Some claim that the IPU is only truly invisible to non-believers, while others claim that this is simply wishful thinking mixed with hallucinations. Some say that the IPU looks invisible, but feels pink, while others say that she is pink but impossible to look at.

    Holy Days - All holy days of all religions are considered to be holy days by the IPU. Special importance is placed upon 1 April, which should be set aside as a day for spreading the word of the IPU.

    The IPU's followers generally agree that the number 42 has some sort of significance.

    Socks - The laundry room is the shrine of the IPU, and some believers may be blessed by 'visitations in their laundry', while others may find that the IPU has left holes in their socks with her horn.

    Epithets - Followers of the IPU will often include phrases such as 'Peace Be Unto Her', 'Blessed Be Her Holy Hooves' and 'May Her Hooves Never Be Shod', sometimes abbreviated as acronyms, after the IPU's name.

    The Purple Oyster - Said to once have been a minion of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, the Purple Oyster of Doom was cast out of the green pastures and into the sea after having tried to convince atheists that the IPU preferred pepperoni and mushroom pizza. The Purple Oyster is said to lead non-believers towards destruction, and is thus remarkably similar to Satan.

    Dislike of Theists and Non-Believers - The IPU is said to cast theists and those who don't believe in her into the Great Pile of Manure, where dwarves will nibble at their kneecaps and the Purple Oyster will force-feed them pepperoni and mushroom pizzas.
    Last edited by somabc; 9th September 2008 at 09:34 PM.

  15. #15
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post

    Yeah that's right - Dork said it so it's fact - you really are a media generation victim aren't you.



    All I see is him making an ass out of himself. And fleecing money out of idiots like you.
    Ouch. Next you'll be calling me a fat, rich, naval gazing westerner with enough time on his hands to come to the conclusion that he doesn't need god or a faith.

    But for now idiot is fine......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th August 2008, 02:47 PM
  2. Finally - I understand what it does
    By SimpleSi in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th May 2008, 03:09 PM
  3. understand Parent main menu option
    By jkmoch in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th May 2008, 06:39 AM
  4. Err i don't understand
    By cookie_monster in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 09:15 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •