+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, School 1977 v School 2007 in Fun Stuff; Compare, if you will... Scenario : Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school. 1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Talking School 1977 v School 2007

Compare, if you will...

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school

1977 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 12th March 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm the Mark in the 1977 version and it's all true!

Thank Post
    lmao all very true!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Except that I think by 1977 schools had got all soppy and the cane/slipper etc was banned - I think it was in about 1971 or so - unless you are talking about private schools of course.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went to a state secondary school and when I left in 1980 the cane/slipper was still being used as a punishment. So does this mean they were breaking the law and I can claim zillions in compensation for the trauma/psychological damage it's left me with?

:-)

Thank Post
    Really good! Made me laugh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Except that I think by 1977 schools had got all soppy and the cane/slipper etc was banned - I think it was in about 1971 or so - unless you are talking about private schools of course.

I got caned in about 1980 in my junior school. In fact a whole bunch of us did for nicking another kids football because he wouldn't let us play with it!

Thank Post
    It wasn't banned till 1986,

I started school in 1987.

Thank Post
    Think they should bring it back, some of the kids behaviour at our school is shocking!

I went to a good school in London, and to come here and see what some of this lot get away with - is unbelievable!

Thank Post
    I think that the real problem started when failure to achieve at school stopped being the student's responsibility and became the school's. At that point you cease to have any usable sanctions as every failure is a poor reflection on the school rather than on the students within it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Mainstream sch in Leicester in 1977 - still used the cane & slipper then

Thank Post
    2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and [...]. Becomes gay.

That one made me laugh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I think that the real problem started when failure to achieve at school stopped being the student's responsibility and became the school's. At that point you cease to have any usable sanctions as every failure is a poor reflection on the school rather than on the students within it.
    Damn it I'm taking this semi-seriously...

Actually it all went Pete Tong when nobody was made responsible for their own actions and everyone was made responsible for everyone elses. Moral of story, don't get a job, don't do anything and you won't get in trouble because you can always sue someone who is...

Ain't life grand... :P

Thank Post
    Yahtzee, we have a winner

It's even more pronounced here at the moment where we're actually given instruction to not fail kids unless it is absolutely unavoidable (i.e. pad the marks). No detention unless it doesn't inconvenience the child, sport coaches or parents

Thank Post
    With attitudes like yours still lingering in schools, no wonder the kids are like they are

I agree with you 100%.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 3rd June 2009 at 07:36 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast