+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Get a Life - You Apple Mac Fans..... in Fun Stuff; Get a Life - You Apple Mac Fans..... ;-)...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Get a Life - You Apple Mac Fans.....

Get a Life - You Apple Mac Fans..... ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    errr.....how many apple fans do you know like this mattx?

Thank Post
    I prefer to think of mac users as the character charles from the www.penny-arcade.com comic strip, mainly because I have a friend like that (he's very annoying).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent post again, Mattx

Thank Post

Talking

Yeah, I know it's bait, but I've not long come off the phone to my son whose PC has some sort of trojan virus caught because his girlfriend agreed to let some pop-up scan the computer for viruses. His eBay and Hotmail passwords have been changed and he is having a devil of a job getting it sorted. So I'm going to bite.

That couldn't happen to me. I am a Mac user. I abandoned Windows eons ago, but I often get people asking me to sort their machines out. The Windows geeks just say 'I never get a virus, I make sure I don't do x, y & z, or go to this or that dodgy site, and I have this super-duper anti-virus utility'. Basically they care not a jot for poor Joe Bloggs who gets caught out constantly. If Joe Bloggs had a Mac he'd be fine. He could go anywhere and do anything, dodgy or otherwise, without fear of spyware or viruses.

We have several pupils at school who cannot use their PCs at home because the machine has a virus and they don't know what to do about it. There is no way they have enough know-how to reinstall Windows from scratch - unless the machine has a restore disk.

It is OK the geeks saying that the only reason Macs don't get viruses is because they're not mainstream, but that is a non-argument. They don't get viruses for whatever the reason - and no amount of saying 'well they would get viruses if . . .' changes anything.

Macs are inherently more secure - every single one of the Windows users I know outside the school environment logs into an account where the user has admin priviliges. A virus can access system files with relative ease. Every Mac user I know (because that's how Macs work) is unable to do anything with system files unless they re-authenticate. Any Mac virus which could damage the system would need you to expressly give it the permission it needs to interfere with system files.

I'm not even going to mention the capabilities of Apple Macs over Windows PCs . . Well I wasn't going to, I'd best duck instead!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @scgf: You wouldn't get those problems if you used Linux either. You'd also be a mortgage better-off financially...

Thank Post
    Yeah, webman, I used to use Linux but I found it not as user-friendly as a Mac. An example, I bought an Asus Eee PC which runs a version of Xandros, I believe. I use an external WebDAV drive on which I store my school documents. Apple OS X and Windows XP allow me to easily open my WebDAV drive as a folder on my machine. After lots of research I managed to install davfs on the Eee PC, but found I could only mount the drive on the command line, then had no desktop concept on the machine where I could pull out the spreadsheet I needed to edit, save it and pop it back into the WebDAV folder. In short it couldn't do what I wanted it to do and this was a biggie because that's why I bought the machine.

In the end I had to install XP on it. I used to love tinkering with Linux, rolling my own kernels, trying out different window managers and distros, but I then realised that's all I was doing! I wasn't actually doing anything productive. The Mac really gets your productivity up - the things I can do now I couldn't imagine doing with Linux or XP.

My technician at school is a Windows geek and he got this 'brilliant software for creating DVDs - much better than iMovie/iDVD on the Mac'. I interestedly asked him to burn me a DVD with a professional menu etc.. The disk never materialised. When challenged sometime later he sheepishly told me the program kept crashing half-way through the process. That was a year ago. I have noticed that every time we need something taken off a video camera and burnt to DVD he uses the school Macs. Hmmm

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    Every Mac user I know (because that's how Macs work) is unable to do anything with system files unless they re-authenticate.
    Ahem. You mean how linux/BSD works. OSX or OS 10 however you are supposed to say it is based on the BSD core. Most of the stuff that mac users currently bleat on about in their quest against Windows was 'borrowed' from an OS that they had practicaly nothing to do with.

Sure they made a pretty layer of user freindly candyfloss on top of it which not other linux dist has matched and added their pattented 'little timmy can too' apps with it but it is still based primarily on the work of others. Others that manage to get none of the credit from the hoards of mac users up on their high horses.

OSX is a nice and well put together OS but it is not some mystical cure for all ills in the world. It is an OS, that runs on some hardware, a very limited subset of hardware at that. If people insist on worshiping the OS they could at least worship the foundations it is built on rather than the sparkley tincil that has been layed on top of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    errr.....how many apple fans do you know like this mattx?
    Oh thats easy, every Apple owner is nothing more than a Steve Jobs worshiper.
    As long as the product is over expensive, has an Apple logo on, and is shown by a saddo wearing a black T-shirt and jeans then they all for it it.....

Yeah, I know it's bait, but I've not long come off the phone to my son whose PC has some sort of trojan virus caught because his girlfriend agreed to let some pop-up scan the computer for viruses. His eBay and Hotmail passwords have been changed and he is having a devil of a job getting it sorted. So I'm going to bite.

That couldn't happen to me. I am a Mac user.
    Ok, a mac is virus proof, not the myth the mac is WORTHLESS writing a virus for in terms of its mass......

Sort of blows your post out of the water - never mind. Nice try...... :-)
    Last edited by mattx; 18th February 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've tried the proof of concept trojan and it works very nicely ... and there are a number of other malicious possibilities for Mac OS X users ... and security should be taken seriously on them, the same way you would do for any other box.

OS Core should be patched, apps should be patched, the machine should be hardened, any app that asks you for the admin password as part of the install should be verified that it is legit and that you have the legit copy of it.

Anyone running MS Office is also susceptible to passing on infected files unless they run AV software on them or ensure that *all* files that come in and out of the machine are scanned.

On another note ... I am a Mac user ... and I am a valid target for attacks because *I RUN VISTA* ...

This is my biggest concern. Yes, we will now have a group of people who are not OS X users as their primary OS, but MS Windows users. Just because they are running it on a Mac does not mean they are any less prone to viruses, trojans or worms than any other MS Windows user!

Then again ... my MBP is *still* the most stable machine I have had running Vista ... after trying it on 7 different notebooks (Dell, Toshiba, Acer and Fujitsu Seimens) it has the best performance and least driver problems.

I did laugh at the cartoon though ... I know too many Mac purists who are that sad ... then again some of that lot also drool over the idea of getting a boxed ZX81 (with appropriate games) ...

Thank Post
    then again some of that lot also drool over the idea of getting a boxed ZX81 (with appropriate games) ...
    Oooooeeeeeerrr, yeah baby - I bow down to sir Clive..... :-) And his 16K Ram Pack.

Last edited by mattx; 18th February 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post
    After lots of research I managed to install davfs on the Eee PC, but found I could only mount the drive on the command line, then had no desktop concept on the machine where I could pull out the spreadsheet I needed to edit, save it and pop it back into the WebDAV folder. In short it couldn't do what I wanted it to do and this was a biggie because that's why I bought the machine.
    err, konqueror supports webdav - in a window.
    Konqueror is installed by default on the eeepc.

probably too complicated for mac users

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post

LMAO

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post

LMAO seconded!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Ahem. You mean how linux/BSD works. OSX or OS 10 however you are supposed to say it is based on the BSD core. Most of the stuff that mac users currently bleat on about in their quest against Windows was 'borrowed' from an OS that they had practicaly nothing to do with.

Sure they made a pretty layer of user freindly candyfloss on top of it which not other linux dist has matched and added their pattented 'little timmy can too' apps with it but it is still based primarily on the work of others. Others that manage to get none of the credit from the hoards of mac users up on their high horses.

OSX is a nice and well put together OS but it is not some mystical cure for all ills in the world. It is an OS, that runs on some hardware, a very limited subset of hardware at that. If people insist on worshiping the OS they could at least worship the foundations it is built on rather than the sparkley tincil that has been layed on top of it.
    classic had it's issue, and apple obviously felt a bsd unix foundation was the best way to keep their OS relevant in the noughties.....

But I much prefer the old interface over the OSX candy floss. Although I am glad we no longer have to piss about with Appletalk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast