+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Tips for first time fathers in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by CyberNerd A lot easier to read than the nhs stuff. I've already been told I can't take ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    A lot easier to read than the nhs stuff. I've already been told I can't take a newborn on a motorcycle
    only a week to go.....
    What bike you got? Doing my DAS on 23rd Feb having passed my theory yesterday. All going well, I'll be picking up a 2005 SV650S on 1st March!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    @ Elky, I'm now on an ER5, I had to downgrade from my VFR750 to cut costs. I also had to give up a draw full of CD's to hold nappies
    My mate has a SV650, very nice
    There's a thread about bikes here:
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4939

Thank Post
    I have to say I always found pushchairs a great advantage over a baby carrier, you can always use a pushchair to barge your way through fellow shoppers! I will imagine I will carry on that tradition with any grandchildren I may have

young enough not to be borrowing my car!
    Just wait! My husband's car is a company car which is insured for anyone he gives permission to drive it, even the cat when he gets his licence, my sons have his spare keys with their own car keys, that car is never on our drive for longer than 10 minutes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    strapping babies in this country to go shopping or for a stroll IS a middle class thing.
    Just plain bunk!
    We used soft carriers, backpacks and prams and pushchairs and there's no way I'm middle class.

The backpack really came into it's own climbing around Malham Cove. Really rather spooked some keen climbing types who had rope in theirs...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Just plain bunk!
    We used soft carriers, backpacks and prams and pushchairs and there's no way I'm middle class.

The backpack really came into it's own climbing around Malham Cove. Really rather spooked some keen climbing types who had rope in theirs...

funny, i was under the impression everyone in winchester was middle class.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Just wait! My husband's car is a company car which is insured for anyone he gives permission to drive it, even the cat when he gets his licence, my sons have his spare keys with their own car keys, that car is never on our drive for longer than 10 minutes!
    Don't they argue over whose turn it is?

Thank Post
    funny, i was under the impression everyone in winchester was middle class.
    Hell, I can't afford to LIVE there! I live in a fairly scummy bit of Southampton; I bought a Semi here for the same money that would have got me a 1 bed "flat" above a Chinese chippy in Winchester. OK, I'll give you that there are parts of the country where I could have bought a street with the same cash...

Thank Post
    Don't they argue over whose turn it is?
    Yes! but they solve it by going out in the car together, needless to say I don't get to use it much.

They have their own cars but someone else's petrol is always more attractive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Yes! but they solve it by going out in the car together, needless to say I don't get to use it much.

They have their own cars but someone else's petrol is always more attractive.
    Always do what we do in our house, all have cars that are too big and powerful to insure younger siblings on Really pees my sister off, the time she thought she'd get on my insurance was the year i got the car that was about 7 groups higher hehe and she expected me to pay to put her on it as well! Cheaky person! I already pay for my mum and dad on it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    women who strap their babies in developing countries have little choice as they often have to travel miles to fetch and carry food and water....and carrying babies this way is the most practical thing to do.

strapping babies in this country to go shopping or for a stroll IS a middle class thing. I agree pushchairs can be a hassle but shops, supermarkets and public buildings are very pushchair friendly these days.
    Seriously lot of places are not child friendly certainly around Leicestershire in fact some of verge of breaking disability laws.

I see benefit of both and have used both and I am no way middle class as anyone who has meet me will tell you.

One advantage of buggies (god how Americanised I am) is that you can pick the kid up and stick your shopping in it

Russ

Thank Post
    We don't pay insurance on the car just a load of tax!
    But having a car that anyone can drive is a real bonus when it comes to being picked up from the pub.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Er...can I just ask what is so wrong about being middle-class? I am - middle-middle actually, and proud of it.
    In this day and age, the old class labels no longer fit as people of all backgrounds, ages and incomes do much the same things as each other. One of the few ways to try and tell is to listen to them speak - not the accent, but the way they put together sentences (not easy on a forum!). And that isn't reliable any more as people move up and down one classification all the time. (my grandfather was an engine driver - 'working class' if you like, and my dad went to a grammar, on to Uni and became an undersecretary in the government (like in 'Yes Minister' - archetypal middle class))
    The middle classes work too, and this job that we all do is definitely a middle class occupation, whether you like it or not. Reverse snobbery, I think. Do you think that a miner or factory worker would look at any of you and think you were working class? I think not!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think we like to think of ourselves as classless (tis the fashion), well, some of us are a bit proud of our working class roots. It certainly feels that way (that we're classless), but I suspect the real middle class (and who knows who the upper class are) know themselves very well and are quite protective of their not so little clique. We're all better off (said in a Life of Brian stylie) so it's tempting to think we've moved up a class.
    You could also say that the suppliers of a vast slice of our goods - the army of third world workers are actually our working class.
    The highly skilled jobs undertaken by very clever 'working class' craftsmen in the past no longer exist. How are we different from them? Being middle class to my mind certainly isn't linked to intelligence or any other virtue, more power and corruption and it's passing down.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Er...can I just ask what is so wrong about being middle-class? I am - middle-middle actually, and proud of it.
    In this day and age, the old class labels no longer fit as people of all backgrounds, ages and incomes do much the same things as each other. One of the few ways to try and tell is to listen to them speak - not the accent, but the way they put together sentences (not easy on a forum!). And that isn't reliable any more as people move up and down one classification all the time. (my grandfather was an engine driver - 'working class' if you like, and my dad went to a grammar, on to Uni and became an undersecretary in the government (like in 'Yes Minister' - archetypal middle class))
    The middle classes work too, and this job that we all do is definitely a middle class occupation, whether you like it or not. Reverse snobbery, I think. Do you think that a miner or factory worker would look at any of you and think you were working class? I think not!
    to me middle class isn't just about what occupation you have or how much money you earn...it's a combination of both plus education plus ethos plus lifestyle....maybe middle class isn't the correct word anymore but there's undoubtedly a 'class' of people who are unmistakebly middle class in the sense of how we used to imagine them. There's now a new lower middle class who don't fall easily into either 'working' or 'middle class'. Let me give you some examples;

on my street the house are roughly of the same size and value but the people are very different.

I am not working class, my dad used to be many years ago when he was a young apprentice, today he does practically the same manual job but today that job provides decent salary, company car, company pension scheme, sick pay etc. Is he middle class ? definitely not, even though he's financially quite well off (light most people of his generation). His lifestyle and formal education (or lackof) was very much working class....today he is probably lower-middle-class when you take everything into account.

a couple of doors away and you couldn't get people more different. Professional people (legal profession) who no doubt went to grammar school, went on to study degree at uni. Professional occupations, good education. Lifestyle is one centred around being environmentally aware. They talk about politics and read the broadsheets on a sunday. They even have an allotment to grow their own veg - how modern middle class is that!!!

Now i went to uni, but i got a crap degree, i'm in a professional occupation, but i don't earn a lot of money and am not in high position. I'm not at all environmentally aware, i follow politics and read newspapers...but i can't pretend to understand much about it. I wouldn't be seen dead growing my own veg or building a composte heap at the end of the garden. I don't cook, can't cook. So i've never made a desert or cooked an evening meal or 'experimented in the kitchen'. in some ways i am middle class, but overall i'm not, i'm probably lower-middle.

There's soooo many things to being middle-class, and there's also other classes that can be thrown into the mix that never used to exist. 18-30 single disposal income, students, urbanites, suburnanites and loads of other words probably i and certain newspapers only ever use.

then there's the myriad of working classes - a lot of whom don't actually work. Maybe they're lower class not the 'those on low income' as the PC brigade like to say.

yes the lines are a little blurry, but the classes very much exist. I even think there's a definite distinction between white and blue collar workers in britain today.

Thank Post
    Cat amongst the pigeon time - sorry in advance.

I don't do class distinctions at all, I couldn't give a shiney s*** what class I am or any of my friends, collegues etc but what I do, do is avoid people like the plague that think they are better than they are.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast