+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, Lego: Everything is NOT awesome. in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by abillybob you will find that all my figures are correct Sea rises of 20cm per year? In ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    you will find that all my figures are correct
    Sea rises of 20cm per year? In your short lifetime that would equate to a rise of over 4m - the height of a double decker bus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    you can build your own forge for quite cheap, cost me around £90 all told for the bricks, bellows, clay etc...

Thank Post
    see The Day The Oceans Boiled (VARIOUS SEGMENTS) Part 1 - YouTube for details of what happened the last time the deep sea methane deposits were disturbed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    Sea rises of 20cm per year? In your short lifetime that would equate to a rise of over 4m - the height of a double decker bus.
    I think that should be 20mm, 20cm a year would make Stalham in Norfolk a coastal town in a little over 10 years!
    Last edited by JJonas; 25th July 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    They're still in effect (albeit on a small scale) breaking down the ice making more weak points in the ice for the Methane to escape. As I have said the Ice is predicted to only last until 2020 if we keep living the way we are, but at the moment ice is no longer forming in that area so when they puncture holes into the ice, new ice won't re-seal the hole, thus allowing more methane to escape when they're not sitting there and burning it with a lighter (you know because no one has ever seen methane being burnt before or fire)

It's not fun it's destructive.
    It will make no real difference, Methane trapped in ice will escape when the ice melts and that will happen because of our problem on a world wide scale. It is probably better as @Seb1780 says to burn it, since the resulting Co2 is a significantly less powerful GHG.

BTW - Do you eat meat?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I think that should be 20mm, 20cm a year would make Stalham in Norfolk a coastal town in a little over 10 years!
    Still not in the ballpark. Try 3mm per year.

Thank Post
    Sorry should really start checking my post I meant the overall rise of sea level has now gone up to and extra 20cm over it's lifetime, the sea actually rises 3.2mm per year which is twice of the average speed in the last 80 years so in effect we have doubled the rate at which sea level rises in just 80 years time, what happens in another 80? I don't want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It will make no real difference, Methane trapped in ice will escape when the ice melts and that will happen because of our problem on a world wide scale. It is probably better as @Seb1780 says to burn it, since the resulting Co2 is a significantly less powerful GHG.

BTW - Do you eat meat?
    I do eat meat again not wanting to change my lifestyle but I am very careful on the amount of meat (and where it is from) that I consume. Please go back a page I updated my previous post but while writing a lot of people have posted since then!

I was also going to mention @nephilim because I think what you're doing is brilliant you're doing as much as you can and find enjoyment in the process and I really admire you for what you have done although didn't put that in my very first post because it may have sounded a bit stalkerish
    Last edited by abillybob; 25th July 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,998 Posts
    I meant the overall rise of sea level has now gone up to an extra 20cm over it's lifetime
    According to the article below, sea levels have risen by ~25 cm since the 19th century and are rising by approx. 1.5mm per year in the south-east of England.

Miami is drowning while the powers that be look away « The Guardian

Most of Florida's senior politicians – in particular, Senator Marco Rubio, former governor Jeb Bush and current governor Rick Scott, all Republican climate-change deniers – have refused to act or respond to warnings of people like Wanless or Harlem or to give media interviews to explain their stance, though Rubio, a Republican party star and a possible 2016 presidential contender, has made his views clear in speeches. "I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it. I do not believe that the laws that they propose we pass will do anything about it, except it will destroy our economy," he said recently. Miami is in denial in every sense, it would seem. Or as Wanless puts it: "People are simply sticking their heads in the sand. It is mind-boggling."
    ^ What can you do when the people in charge are idiots?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    my TV will be being replaced soon not because it doesn't work but because it's 6 years old and uses a LOT of power, I will be getting a 40" LED TV rather than the LCD I have now with power consumption in mind.
    Over the expected lifetime of the new TV, is the difference in power consumption between the old one and the new one enough to offset the costs of manufacture and distribution of the new TV and disposal of the old one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Over the expected lifetime of the new TV, is the difference in power consumption between the old one and the new one enough to offset the costs of manufacture and distribution of the new TV and disposal of the old one?
    I was thinking of that myself, would be handy if someone could let me know...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was also going to mention @nephilim because I think what you're doing is brilliant you're doing as much as you can and find enjoyment in the process and I really admire you for what you have done although didn't put that in my very first post because it may have sounded a bit stalkerish
    Not stalkerish at all. In the last year I have made a huge effort to be as energy efficient and as money saving/thrifty/self sufficient as possible.

Thank Post
    I was thinking of that myself, would be handy if someone could let me know...
    I'll give you a clue: Eco-warriors are not often seen in Curry's
    Last edited by Seb1780; 25th July 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Removed emotive content

Thank Post
    Alex, stop for just one minute and think about how you've made yourself look with that statement. You have proudly declared your intent to get a 40" TV with no idea of the consequences of your actions for neither your arguement nor the planet.

I'll give you a clue: Eco-warriors are not often seen in Curry's
    Eh!? I think you're going a bit overboard here personally. Question is how do you think I look!? hmmm

As I have stated I want to change the way I consume things such as energy but I don't want to change my lifestyle, now I don't know the figures and I'm sure neither do you but if I kept my current power hogging TV for another 5 years lets say, will that use more power than me buying a new TV that will last me a further 10 years and will be LED? hmmm I'm not sure and neither are you unless you have the facts (which you couldn't possibly figure out as I haven't posted exactly how much power consumption my current TV uses and you haven't found out how much waste and pollution it creates when manufacturing a new TV screen. So your comment is invalid because it COULD mean that it's better for the world as a whole to buy a new more efficient TV than keep using my current one.

What do you contribute as you haven't said you do anything though you're pointing a lot of fingers in this thread with not very much contribution onto how to resolve the eco crisis in anyway?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Whilst I LOVE Lego, I don't often buy the new stuff, I get the old stuff from charity shops, ebay, car boot sales etc.

As for my impact on the environment, I re-use as much as possible at home. If I have scrap wood, I make it into something, I don't chuck it (newest build was 2 chopping boards which I need to oil). If I have any scrap metal I will melt it down into an ingot until I need to use it. Water from the washing up gets used for the garden. Old toys become presents for nieces and nephews. Food scraps (veg, egg shells, fruit etc) get composted, whilst meat not eaten by the use by date goes to the cat.
    Hmm @nephilim , is the construction of your furnace outlined somewhere online, have been meaning to look into something like this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, no, I watched a lot of youtube videos, and just made my own design.

I will say this though, ensure your bricks have time to cure with the heat (around a month is ideal) otherwise they'll crack at the high temps, and believe me they WILL crack and sometimes shatter. Every day cure them for 6 hours at a reasonably constant temp each day. Increase the temp by 30C per day (where a bellows comes in handy, or a hair dryer to keep the airflow constant).

Day 1 - 300C
    Day 2 - 330C
    Day 3 - 360C
    Repeat until Day 30 - which will be around 1200C.

For the piping, ensure you insulate them with a thick layer of clay around them (the clay hardens and becomes a good insulator, and drill holes in the clay and pipe so your air flow can reach all of the hot embers.

I use a bellows for mine now (I did use a hair dryer I have to admit) and this was so that the airflow was constant. A bellows however allows larger blasts of air producing much higher temperatures.

You can loan non-contact thermometres from some hardware shops rather than buying one.
    Last edited by nephilim; 25th July 2014 at 02:23 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast