+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Jokes/Interweb Things Thread, He is real.... in Fun Stuff; Just to return to the original topic (and they say women are obsessed with their appearance!) If you had tried ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,823 Posts

Re: He is real....

Just to return to the original topic (and they say women are obsessed with their appearance!)

If you had tried to explain such things as radio waves, TV or computers, or even the humble electric motor to someone from the 12th century, they would not have believed you as they didn't have the scientific knowledge to understand ..
    And that is the situation with Father Christmas (I hate the name Santa Claus - so American). One day we will be able to explain the science behind his being able to deliver presents to everyone in one night.
    Besides, in our house he only delivers what is in the Christmas Stocking, not the rest of the presents - so he wouldn't have quite as much to carry!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Just to return to the original topic (and they say women are obsessed with their appearance!)

If you had tried to explain such things as radio waves, TV or computers, or even the humble electric motor to someone from the 12th century, they would not have believed you as they didn't have the scientific knowledge to understand ..
    And that is the situation with Father Christmas (I hate the name Santa Claus - so American). One day we will be able to explain the science behind his being able to deliver presents to everyone in one night.
    Besides, in our house he only delivers what is in the Christmas Stocking, not the rest of the presents - so he wouldn't have quite as much to carry!
    So true you can tell witch you have had to have that conversation before

Only stockings who delivers the rest

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok Mums and Dads... if we're so convinced Father Christmas is real, I dare you not purchase and wrap any presents at all; and see what happens on Christmas morning

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@webman

The point is it does not matter if Santa Clause is real or not it is that child like belief that Santa does exist in hearts and minds of children world over..

But this sums it up for me..

As true today as was in 1897...

Eight-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York's Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history's most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other editorials, and on posters and stamps.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
    "Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
    "Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
    "Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
    "115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
    e
    No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    And that is the situation with Father Christmas (I hate the name Santa Claus - so American)
    It is thought the name Santa Claus is derived from Sinterklaas, the Dutch name for the character based on St. Nicholas.

In Washington Irving's History of New York, (1809), Sinterklaas was Americanized into "Santa Claus" but lost his bishop's apparel, and was at first pictured as a thick-bellied Dutch sailor with a pipe in a green winter coat.
    (Both Wikipedia)

Ho ho ho.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

And if 8-year-old Virgina can understand and fully comprehend any of that then I'll wear a Santa hat.

The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see.
    I disagree entirely

It reminds of the stuff the Christian evangelists who bugged me at Newcastle a few weeks ago kept going on about

Thank Post

I had the Scientologists come to the door at my house asking whether I wanted to hear their message from God or Xenu or whoever it is they have...obviously, being a good Catholic, I told them where to stick their rip-off nonsense religion. They then proceeded to ask whether there was anyone else in my house who wanted to hear their message...my response, "I seriously doubt it." They didn't like that and left. I wasn't going to lie to them!

The ones that came to my mum's house and woke me up apologised and just left. Best ones yet!

<edit>
    Whilst I recognise other people's right to a religion of their choice and I tend not to challenge that, I also respect my own right to a religion and the freedom to have that choice in my OWN house away from other people trying to cram their opinions down my throat.
    </edit>

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123